Moving away from Ibrox if a better stadium could be built?

Never think of moving , if making stadium bigger for capacity or other events plenty of space at Ibrox . One stand at a time but make sure front rows can be higher to look down as German stadiums Important that frontage is preserved and main stand also improve for support . Believe if it was possible to make improvements we should go to Hampdum for au year or two . But realistically we are broke .But any improvements are good

You won't get much better than Ibrox.

5 minutes from motorway.

If you tore down the 3 stands and rebuilt bigger ones, there is probably space to facilitate that.

Underground.

At the moment I'm sitting in the Veltins Arena in Germany. It's a cracking stadium, easy to access by public transport and with plenty of parking. Directly in front of me is a purpose built TV camera position. The roof is closed tonight.
Suppose the possibility arose, and financially, it was paid off within ten years and with league wins during that period, could you countenance Rangers moving out of Ibrox if it was to an easily accessible, suburban, 80,000 seat stadium?
We do not need to move.

We simply need less Republican anti-UK politicians in Glasgow and beyond to work with the club in benefitting the area and increasing transport options. Rather than hating our existence.

I'd never want to leave Ibrox, nor should we.

Dated, in what sense, in that it is an anomaly to most stadiums that takes something away from it either practically or aesthtically? "Dated" is an interesting term, because some things that are "dated" have more value. In sport is Wimbledon Centre Court dated, or is Augusta dated? Arguably they are dated, but not in the perjorative sense you use to describe Ibrox. If "dated" is the criticism of Ibrox then that doesn't really wash, because through decades it has still captured the imagination of fans and players alike, past and present; so when did it suddenly become "dated" in the way you suggest? Ibrox is neither "patchwork, as described in another post, nor dated in the way you possibly infer.

Oh my god mate you shouldn't be this upset with me thinking it looks a bit dated.

The catering is horrendous and I don't think they can upgrade it because of the infrastructure and construction.

The toilets are horrendous and not fit for purpose. Again, due to the construction they can't properly renovate them.

I could list a couple of other things to explain my opinion but that's all it is. My opinion.

You're entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine. Going around putting the word dated in quotes the way you have makes you look like you've had a meltdown.

Visiting other modern stadiums around the UK and abroad shows what can be possible for a sporting venue.

In my mind it would never feel like our true home. I think we're one of the unique clubs in the world where potentially moving away just wouldn't feel right at all and may never be regarded as our true home, even decades down the line.

On the other hand a lot of the top teams are moving to much more modern stadiums and for good reason too.

For what it's worth I'm in my mid 30's and I'd be very surprised if something like that happened in my lifetime.

Spend the money on players and get a winning team on the park. I’d rather have that than spend millions of pounds on a new stadium.

Oh my god mate you shouldn't be this upset with me thinking it looks a bit dated.

The catering is horrendous and I don't think they can upgrade it because of the infrastructure and construction.

The toilets are horrendous and not fit for purpose. Again, due to the construction they can't properly renovate them.

I could list a couple of other things to explain my opinion but that's all it is. My opinion.

You're entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine. Going around putting the word dated in quotes the way you have makes you look like you've had a meltdown.

Visiting other modern stadiums around the UK and abroad shows what can be possible for a sporting venue.
That diatribe is on par with your heros tackle v the Celtc.

I'm very nostalgic and attached to the stadium.It isn't perfect and there are aspects of it that appear more than a bit shabby.Id spend the money getting the best out of the original.
As Jude Bellingham said " What a gaff".

At the moment I'm sitting in the Veltins Arena in Germany. It's a cracking stadium, easy to access by public transport and with plenty of parking. Directly in front of me is a purpose built TV camera position. The roof is closed tonight.
Suppose the possibility arose, and financially, it was paid off within ten years and with league wins during that period, could you countenance Rangers moving out of Ibrox if it was to an easily accessible, suburban, 80,000 seat stadium?
Ground share in the East End?

It’s a crazy idea but might free up a whole lot of money.

This is the blue sky thinking we need in the boardroom.

The best place to move Ibrox to would be to exactly where it is.

We have the space and the capacity to grow the stadium and the the transport infrastructure surrounding it.

Cost would be very very prohibitive ........ upgrade existing 3 stands that can be upgraded
Yes some upgrades are needed, some parts of Ibrox and right outside the stadium, including the tarmac look very tired.

Looking to the future, you need a fantastic stadium if you want to be regarded as a top European club.

Ibrox definitely needs a makeover of some kind.

The money we are spending adding a few seat here and there ( cantilever this summer) feels like we are just playing at expanding. Me I would knock down SJ and create a three tier stand which could wrap around and connect to the two end stands. We could create big area for corporate which added to increase in capacity will more than match anything they can generate.
That's how I would do it a well

It isn't.

If we get to the point where we need a capacity we can't match where we are, it's a serious possibility.

Nobody is proactively longing for it, but in terms of capacity and running costs, it's a conversation that will need to be had within 30 years imo.

If it is something that drastic, I'd sooner we demolish all but the main stand, but dismissing the possibility of us ever moving from where we are when we are seriously restricted in terms of adding basic amenities like more seats means it cannot be as mad as you say.
Is this based on any facts, or just a guess?

There are multiple ways you could increase capacity, they’re just not cheap.

Although, I’d guess rebuilding a stand or two, or properly completing the corners, or adding a tier would still be infinitely cheaper than a whole new ground.

And if we did rebuild, it wouldn’t be to the world class £1bn level of spurs, or probably not even the £500m+ of Everton.

Why would anyone want to move from one of the greatest stadiums on earth
Aside from the fact this is a hypothetical question, the reality is that it isn't going to last forever or be fit for purpose forever, particularly the Main Stand.

It might not happen in our lifetimes but our kids and grandkids probably will watch Rangers in a fully redeveloped stadium on the current site or a brand new location.

When I started going the Broomloan and Copeland had been built and the Centenary Stand had been demolished.
How long did those stands take to build?

I wouldn't swap our main stand for anything. Rebuild around it if needed in the future but Ibrox is our home and we should remain there for the rest of time

Walk away from the most iconic main stand in world football for another run of the mill, Emirates style stadium?
No thanks.

Not for me. Main stand is absolutely priceless.

This for me too. Would be too much of an emotional wrench to leave Ibrox. By all means completely redevelop the current stadium but our gorgeous and unique main stand has to be the centrepiece.

Moving with the times is all well and good but I don’t want Rangers becoming just yet another identikit football club with a modern bowl of a stadium. Ibrox is an important part of our heritage and history (both beautiful and tragic) and is worth preserving. It’s a vital part of what makes Rangers Rangers. I’m proud of our home every single time I visit. It wouldn’t feel the same to be anywhere else.

A point that has been going through my head recently.
Not sure how our supporters or even certain people on our board would handle that, or a stadium rebrand.
According to Bennett,in 2022, the board are willing to look at all business proposals.
But if it meant us finally having the resources to challenge them and blow them out the water, and even make a real dent in Europe, say with the C.L, I wonder what percentage of fans would go with it?
All avenues in my opinion, must be looked into going forward, or we may as well resign ourselves to being the second best club in Scotland.
Unless anybody else has any other great ideas??

Good post by the way.
Beat me to it!

Back