Munich's Other Football Clubs

mdingwall

Administrator
Munich's Other Football Clubs

The article was written in February 2020 - all three clubs are now in Bundesliga 3

eC8YyjY.jpg

vWjpcVZ.jpg

Been to Munich several times and been to a few 1860 games. Speaking to staff at the Allianz, they said Munich is blue. Apparently majority of residents are 1860 fans and the majority of Bayern fans live outwith Munich.

People compared it to the man utd and man city scenario where most utd fans are considered to live outwith manchester.

I think Munich is probably the only city in Germany i haven’t taken in a game, what a brilliant country for football and beers . Anyone else actually enjoy their lower leagues more than the bundesliga

Lived there from 2013 - 2015, whenever I was off I just used to go and watch a match somewhere - done over 40 in the top 3 divisions and a few in the Regionaligas in Germany now.

Sadly when I was there Sechzig were in a major decline, as was the fanscene - they hated the Allianz and when you went to watch them there you could see why, just far too big for them and out of town. A different world to their home where they play now, back in Giesing at the Grunwalder - area is proper 1860, plenty of pubs and generates a great atmosphere when they play. When I was there 1860 and Bayern played in the first Amateur Derby in years in the Regionaliga (4th tier) and it was a lively affair, went a to a few of those matches and whether 1860 were home or away it was them who had the livelier and bigger support pretty much.

1860 have a good fanscene, last couple of years they have topped the away travel league in 3 Liga. When Bayern would play at home you would see a lot of DayTrippers, you couldn't move for visitors with Club Shop bags etc, Munich is a lovely City so it would always attract tourists but Bayern was a major pull as well. Personally I always saw 1860 as working class and Bayern as more upper class and from the better parts of Munich and indeed Bavaria - Bavaria is very wealthy, as is Munich.

I was at the match where 1860 scored 2 in the last 5 minutes to stay up, 57,000 were on at that. Next season though they dropped.

I'm sure it was 1860 that West Ham beat in the Cup winners cup final at Wembley in 1965

Bobby Moore collecting a cup at Wembley three years on the trot
1964 :- West Ham v Preston
65 as above
66 well we all know

I went to a 1860 home match in May 2015 and their Ultras did a display for that for the anniversary, was very good.

I think Munich is probably the only city in Germany i haven’t taken in a game, what a brilliant country for football and beers . Anyone else actually enjoy their lower leagues more than the bundesliga

I do, I go over and watch Rostock quite a lot. I know I will always get a standing ticket and I find the Bundesliga is getting more and more sanitised, very raw watching Hansa - as it is watching other East German Clubs. Great atmosphere's and experiences. Anyone who likes a drink and a more genuine experience in Munich I would always say go and watch 1860. There is also a decent bar at their Training Complex - which is close to the Grunwalder and also very close to the Bayern Training Complex.

Last edited:
I've read claims that 1860 is the club of Munich, whilst Bayern, as the name might suggest, is the club of Bavaria.

Does anyone have any knowledge that this assertion has any basis in fact?

Some people would argue that it's like a Torino vs Juventus thing. Torino are seen as the club that actual people from Turin support while Juventus are a club with fans all over the rest of the country.

However I don't think that is the case in Munchen, Bayern have been such a juggernaut of German and European football that 1860 (especially given they have been in the lower leagues for so long) simply can not compete in our outside the city.

An average attendance of 10.000 these days seems to indicate that.

That said, they seem to be a nicer club than the commercial giant next door.
They also had one of the coolest kits I've seen :)

1860-munich-away-football-shirt-2011-2012-s_56176_1.jpg

Some people would argue that it's like a Torino vs Juventus thing. Torino are seen as the club that actual people from Turin support while Juventus are a club with fans all over the rest of the country.

However I don't think that is the case in Munchen, Bayern have been such a juggernaut of German and European football that 1860 (especially given they have been in the lower leagues for so long) simply can not compete in our outside the city.

You ain't going to start pulling up all the Oktoberfest kits are you?!

You ain't going to start pulling up all the Oktoberfest kits are you?!

Lovely!

Def prefer 1860 and you can do a decent pub crawl there. Easy by S bahn if you’re going to Munich ever. Proper football club.

I had my stag in Munich and neither Bayern or 1860 were playing that weekend, so we went to watch Unterhaching play Hansa Rostock in Bundesliga 3. It's a Munich suburb, just about 20 mins on the S-Bahn from central station. The game wasn't a classic but matchday experience was excellent. Fans were really friendly, a guy just came up and gave us free tickets (11 of us) when we were in the queue. Cracking beer garden outside the stadium as well. Definitely recommend it over going to the Allianz.

I had my stag in Munich and neither Bayern or 1860 were playing that weekend, so we went to watch Unterhaching play Hansa Rostock in Bundesliga 3. It's a Munich suburb, just about 20 mins on the S-Bahn from central station. The game wasn't a classic but matchday experience was excellent. Fans were really friendly, a guy just came up and gave us free tickets (11 of us) when we were in the queue. Cracking beer garden outside the stadium as well. Definitely recommend it over going to the Allianz.
Wasn’t in 2015 that was it? A Friday night and it chucked down?

Wasn’t in 2015 that was it? A Friday night and it chucked down?
Nah, 2019. A sunny Saturday afternoon but with a mental shower in the first half. We were lucky the tickets we were given were for the stand because we were originally heading for the uncovered terrace behind the goal. Two of the guys had decided to head to the away end though and got soaked, as well as being forcibly removed by the Rostock fans who didn't take kindly to the tourists taking their photies!

Nah, 2019. A sunny Saturday afternoon but with a mental shower in the first half. We were lucky the tickets we were given were for the stand because we were originally heading for the uncovered terrace behind the goal. Two of the guys had decided to head to the away end though and got soaked, as well as being forcibly removed by the Rostock fans who didn't take kindly to the tourists taking their photies!
Haha, aye you don’t get away with that in a Hansa end.

Ha! Came on to this thread to talk about this!
Unter!
Edit: just remembered before the game and they played Simply the Best (and 500 Miles :rolleyes:) in the beer garden when they were alerted to our presence.

Last edited:
Been over to a few 1860 games as got a good friend from Stuttgart who follows them as well as us. Met him at our away euro games.

Went to the Allianz to see them before they moved home to the Grunwalder. Took in the derby there v Bayern. Cracking wee ground.
Been to away games with them, Dusseldorf and St Pauli twice, one time they sold out the away section on a Friday night at St Pauli when I was there. Some trek from Munich to Hamburg

Certainly get your point regarding Juventus.

In a restaurant in Rome I got talking football with the manager and I asked which team he supported, Roma or Lazio. He said “ neither, I’m from Naples”.
So I said, “ so you’re a Napoli fan” and he replied “no, I support Juventus “.

I've read claims that 1860 is the club of Munich, whilst Bayern, as the name might suggest, is the club of Bavaria.

Does anyone have any knowledge that this assertion has any basis in fact?
Not in fact but it was German fans have told me.

Certainly get your point regarding Juventus.

In a restaurant in Rome I got talking football with the manager and I asked which team he supported, Roma or Lazio. He said “ neither, I’m from Naples”.
So I said, “ so you’re a Napoli fan” and he replied “no, I support Juventus “.

Ooft, that's even worse :D

I read once that when Napoli had just gotten promoted back to Serie A 2007 the season after when they played Juve they made a banner aimed at local Juventus fans, saying 'We know where you live'... :D

When Saturday Comes.
Never missed an issue for about twenty years (including occasional snippets about Rangers from somebody called Dingwall) but eventually gave it up because it became stridently polytechnic left wing. Imagine if Rik from the Young Ones was into football.

It always was lefty but not overly so and was always funny and informative enough to make up for it.
Dave Robinson's cartoon were always great.

The final straw was when I read an article that the writer spent a good portion of slagging of the home side for having injured servicemen presented to the crowd at half time and glorifying imperialism and militarism.
I thought, 'you know what, they can go fúck themselves'.

This was after overlooking their pretty much constant misinformation about Irish League sides and their support (goddammit, they had me taking Linfield's side on something, the bastards!). Many hagiographic articles on the likes of Celtc and the pride of student squats everywhere, St Pauli.
A dig at 'Thatcher' about once or twice every episode - not much of a fan myself, but this was about 2009/10, she'd been out of office about twenty years.
And most annoyingly, them having at least twice as much coverage of women's football than they had any other UK domestic football outside of the EPL.

*As an aside, my auto-correct corrected 'Celtc' to 'crotch' which I thought very appropriate. :))

Been to Munich several times and been to a few 1860 games. Speaking to staff at the Allianz, they said Munich is blue. Apparently majority of residents are 1860 fans and the majority of Bayern fans live outwith Munich.

People compared it to the man utd and man city scenario where most utd fans are considered to live outwith manchester.

Which is a common falsehood. There is absolutely no chance there are more City than United supporters in Manchester.

1860 were the club the ‘Kaiser’ himself - Beckenbauer as opposed to the Prussian monarchy variety - supported as a boy.

Whilst they were probably Munich’s pre-eminent side when professionalism came to German domestic football, Bayern were hardly minnows who came from nowhere.

They had been German National champions the year the Nazi’s first won an election in 1932, and suffered accordingly thereafter due to being perceived as a bourgeoisie Jewish club which didn’t wash well with the Third Reich hierarchy, much in the same as Austria Wien and MTK Budapest were decimated by persecution at the same time.

Lived there from 2013 - 2015, whenever I was off I just used to go and watch a match somewhere - done over 40 in the top 3 divisions and a few in the Regionaligas in Germany now.

Sadly when I was there Sechzig were in a major decline, as was the fanscene - they hated the Allianz and when you went to watch them there you could see why, just far too big for them and out of town. A different world to their home where they play now, back in Giesing at the Grunwalder - area is proper 1860, plenty of pubs and generates a great atmosphere when they play. When I was there 1860 and Bayern played in the first Amateur Derby in years in the Regionaliga (4th tier) and it was a lively affair, went a to a few of those matches and whether 1860 were home or away it was them who had the livelier and bigger support pretty much.

1860 have a good fanscene, last couple of years they have topped the away travel league in 3 Liga. When Bayern would play at home you would see a lot of DayTrippers, you couldn't move for visitors with Club Shop bags etc, Munich is a lovely City so it would always attract tourists but Bayern was a major pull as well. Personally I always saw 1860 as working class and Bayern as more upper class and from the better parts of Munich and indeed Bavaria - Bavaria is very wealthy, as is Munich.

I was at the match where 1860 scored 2 in the last 5 minutes to stay up, 57,000 were on at that. Next season though they dropped.

I went to a 1860 home match in May 2015 and their Ultras did a display for that for the anniversary, was very good.

I do, I go over and watch Rostock quite a lot. I know I will always get a standing ticket and I find the Bundesliga is getting more and more sanitised, very raw watching Hansa - as it is watching other East German Clubs. Great atmosphere's and experiences. Anyone who likes a drink and a more genuine experience in Munich I would always say go and watch 1860. There is also a decent bar at their Training Complex - which is close to the Grunwalder and also very close to the Bayern Training Complex.
1860 are my German team was planning on going over to watch a game with my boy seems a long way off now

1860 are my German team was planning on going over to watch a game with my boy seems a long way off now
Try go Swimming while in Munich with your lad mate, some great pools which I expect kids would enjoy (if he is young enough to be excited by that!).

I'm moving to Munich in June. 1860 will be my team to go and watch.
I watch them when I can online and have followed them since they where kicked out of the league structure they are back at there old ground it holds 12k looks a brilliant atmosphere

I watch them when I can online and have followed them since they where kicked out of the league structure they are back at there old ground it holds 12k looks a brilliant atmosphere
What do you use to watch them online? I have Magenta the official 3 Liga subscription- it’s only 9.99 a month, every 3 Liga match on it, it is brilliant value.

What do you use to watch them online? I have Magenta the official 3 Liga subscription- it’s only 9.99 a month, every 3 Liga match on it, it is brilliant value.
Will look in to that didn't know about it just been watching on dodge streams and free highlights

Marmor, Stein, und Eisen bricht
Aber unsere Löwen nicht
Alles, alles geht vorbei
Doch wir bleiben treu!

Marble, stone, and iron break
But not our Lions
All and everything passes away
But still we remain true!

Sechzig!
Boom! That's a cracker. Love a good german tune, nothing beats Nena's 99Luftballoons!

Do you need to set up a VPN for that
No it works ok for me without, it could just be an issue you need a German address I think. Might be worth emailing them and asking the score, usually very helpful German firms.

Will look in to that didn't know about it just been watching on dodge streams and free highlights
You might not know but German Football YouTube show a 3 Liga match live from pretty much every match day. As usual though chosen to show effin Bayern II tomorrow when it’s 1860 v Hansa, a huge match for both.

You might not know but German Football YouTube show a 3 Liga match live from pretty much every match day. As usual though chosen to show effin Bayern II tomorrow when it’s 1860 v Hansa, a huge match for both.
Will look in to that thanks

Back