My complaint to BBC about James Cook ‘anti irish, anti catholic’ article

nelster

Admin, feel free to merge with the other thread if you wish.

But I wanted to issue a call to bears, if you have time to get off your backside and deal with these people, in a factual manner, please do so.

Rangers are dealing with those that specifically defamed the club / business.

The Rangers support needs to stand up for itself.

If you wish to make your own complaint you can do so here : https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

The BBC are permitted to report what an individual from the SNP said about the Rangers support and quote them on it.

The BBC are not allowed in their own name to subsequently state something unproven or completely false, as fact.

Complaint below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57439470

Author : James Cook

James Cook has attended previous celebrations of Rangers winning league titles for BBC. Namely in 2005 when tens of thousands of fans arrived back at Ibrox from an away match, unprompted. His report was very fair, as per the BBC's code and contained no subjective political speak.

There was no outcry in 2005. But in 2005 there was no political party in control of Scotland inventing narratives and fake soundbites that their voters and cult followers wish to hear about people that wave the Union Flag.

Rangers have taken legal action against some of these political individuals for the spread of fake and defamatory information about the events of May 15th that were specifically against employees of Rangers as a business.

James article is not in any way against Rangers as a club or business and would not be covered by the legal action, but it is identical in its content, against the Rangers support and surely the BBC code.

To my complaint :

Can James confirm that he has categorical proof of "anti irish, anti catholic disorder", which appears to have only been invented after Scottish society thought they had banished Rangers forever, only to find them atop Scottish Football once again.

It would certainly seem that in social media / political circles "anti irish, anti catholic disorder" as repeated verbatim by James, is actually SNP political speak for "nasty Rangers fans celebrating winning the league", with zero evidence presented.

Given the clear code in place for the BBC, James cannot just repeat a subjective unproven narrative from social media and present it as fact. Regardless of the originators' prominence and control of our media.

James' article and wish to promote such a narrative as fact, must be challenged and subsequently retracted with an apology issued to tens of thousands of Rangers fans who were in attendance.

If only SNP politicians had a similarly enforced code to adhere to.

Div1872

That James Cook is a Nationalist runt

Remember him from 2014 referendum being totally biased in support of the SNP. It was blatant

He then moved to America for a few years with BBC but moved back when that shitey dedicated Scottish news channel started up

How he could bring our title celebrations into that article is unreal and spouting the anti Irish anti Catholic bigotry is total BS

Ive complained on numerous occasions to BBC and it’s just ignored but fair play to OP a for trying

They will never change and their own bias against Rangers and Unionists

Tailwind

But I wanted to issue a call to bears, if you have time to get off your backside and deal with these people, in a factual manner, please do so.

If you wish to make your own complaint you can do so here : https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

The BBC are permitted to report what an individual from the SNP said about the Rangers support and quote them on it.

The BBC are not allowed in their own name to subsequently state something unproven or completely false, as fact.

Complaint below.

James Cook has attended previous celebrations of Rangers winning league titles for BBC. Namely in 2005 when tens of thousands of fans arrived back at Ibrox from an away match, unprompted. His report was very fair, as per the BBC's code and contained no subjective political speak.

There was no outcry in 2005. But in 2005 there was no political party in control of Scotland inventing narratives and fake soundbites that their voters and cult followers wish to hear about people that wave the Union Flag.

Rangers have taken legal action against some of these political individuals for the spread of fake and defamatory information about the events of May 15th that were specifically against employees of Rangers as a business.

James article is not in any way against Rangers as a club or business and would not be covered by the legal action, but it is identical in its content, against the Rangers support and surely the BBC code.

To my complaint :

Can James confirm that he has categorical proof of "anti irish, anti catholic disorder", which appears to have only been invented after Scottish society thought they had banished Rangers forever, only to find them atop Scottish Football once again.

It would certainly seem that in social media / political circles "anti irish, anti catholic disorder" as repeated verbatim by James, is actually SNP political speak for "nasty Rangers fans celebrating winning the league", with zero evidence presented.

Given the clear code in place for the BBC, James cannot just repeat a subjective unproven narrative from social media and present it as fact. Regardless of the originators' prominence and control of our media.

James' article and wish to promote such a narrative as fact, must be challenged and subsequently retracted with an apology issued to tens of thousands of Rangers fans who were in attendance.

Done

Derek1960

Yes well done
We are all to a man fed up with this.

It's a long game to defeat the haters, but they should know, we will never surrender. In fact we have a song about it.

ProspectLoyal

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels.

It seems to be a propaganda tactic that Scottish nationalist politicians and media used against Rangers fans with regards to this alleged widespread anti-Catholic anti-Irish 'racism' that they have very little (if any) evidence for.

Nizzy72

And you wonder why so many Rangers fans can't be arsed with the national team when lies after lies is peddled out about us by nationalist dickheads.

Mr Biggleston

Sent in the complaint below. May not make a blind bit of difference but had to do something. Was more productive than watching Scotland! Will probably get fobbed off as usual but will post if by some miracle I get a positive reply.

I would like to register a complaint regarding the above article written by your correspondent, James Cook. While commenting on the way Scotland has changed since the national football team last qualified for a major tournament in 1998, he states that -

'....the shameful shadow of violence and sectarianism remains, as demonstrated by last months's violent, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic disorder by a minority of Rangers fans celebrating their team's league title in Glasgow's George Square.'

While no-one can deny or condone the violence that took place in George Square, there has been a concerted campaign by certain organisations and individuals to try and link an anti-Irish, anti-Catholic narrative to what took place. This has been done without the provision of a shred of evidence which, in this digital and social media age, and with the national media in attendance around George Square, I frankly find quite astonishing. Therefore, I offer my congratulations to Mr. Cook as his article suggests that he has succeeded where everyone else in the Scottish media has failed by obtaining a world exclusive and securing proof that this did indeed happen.

Instead, the question should maybe be asked as to who is driving this false narrative and why the Scottish media have accepted it as being true, again without a shred of evidence or any investigation. If Mr. Cook wants to talk about shameful, he may want to look at who instigated the smear campaign against celebrating Rangers players by claiming an obviously doctored social media video showed them singing sectarian add-ons. To save him the bother, it is one and the same people/political party.

At best, this is lazy journalism. At worst, it is another part of an orchestrated campaign that is taking our country down a very dangerous path. Either way, I look forward to Mr. Cook providing evidence to back up the claims he referenced or a retraction of his article stating that there is no evidence that it happened.

Tailwind

Sent in the complaint below. May not make a blind bit of difference but had to do something. Was more productive than watching Scotland! Will probably get fobbed off as usual but will post if by some miracle I get a positive reply.

I would like to register a complaint regarding the above article written by your correspondent, James Cook. While commenting on the way Scotland has changed since the national football team last qualified for a major tournament in 1998, he states that -

'....the shameful shadow of violence and sectarianism remains, as demonstrated by last months's violent, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic disorder by a minority of Rangers fans celebrating their team's league title in Glasgow's George Square.'

While no-one can deny or condone the violence that took place in George Square, there has been a concerted campaign by certain organisations and individuals to try and link an anti-Irish, anti-Catholic narrative to what took place. This has been done without the provision of a shred of evidence which, in this digital and social media age, and with the national media in attendance around George Square, I frankly find quite astonishing. Therefore, I offer my congratulations to Mr. Cook as his article suggests that he has succeeded where everyone else in the Scottish media has failed by obtaining a world exclusive and securing proof that this did indeed happen.

Instead, the question should maybe be asked as to who is driving this false narrative and why the Scottish media have accepted it as being true, again without a shred of evidence or any investigation. If Mr. Cook wants to talk about shameful, he may want to look at who instigated the smear campaign against celebrating Rangers players by claiming an obviously doctored social media video showed them singing sectarian add-ons. To save him the bother, it is one and the same people/political party.

At best, this is lazy journalism. At worst, it is another part of an orchestrated campaign that is taking our country down a very dangerous path. Either way, I look forward to Mr. Cook providing evidence to back up the claims he referenced or a retraction of his article stating that there is no evidence that it happened.
Well done

Ruglenbear1872

I’m not sure about the BBC charter but if you report a paper to IPSO the onus is on the paper to prove something is accurate.
IPSO are also very keen to make life difficult for papers.

Midfield General

Complaint below.

To my complaint :

Well done mate,the more of us that challenge false narrative and lies the better.The days of waiting on someone else to do it are over.
If we keep it polite and stick to the facts their efforts to deflect the truth will eventually be shown up for the lies they are.