My old man would have been 80 today.

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Sorry for posting something that means little to others.

Born 29th May 1939.
First attended Ibrox with his uncle in 1947, a win against Aberdeen.
The man who gave me my love of The Rangers, not just going to the games but celebrating our illustrious history.
Gave me Rangers The New Era as a present and I still treasure that book.
Took me to my first game in August 1968.
He saw us win Cup finals and lose them. Celebrated the highs and accepted but hated the lows.
Was there the day of our first ever European final and the day of the disaster.
Ran a supporters bus for many years.
My proudest day was being able to get tickets in Manchester for me, him and my son.
Shared many a beer pre and post match.
We won 2 trebles on his birthday, including his 60th in 1999.
Sadly, passed away at the height of the spivs, but lived for the day we returned to the top.

Favourite ever player Jim Baxter
Vote for Greatest Ranger Willie Waddell

I heard it often enough, his greatest team was

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

And it broke his heart not to be able to include literally dozens of great Rangers players.

We all have our Rangers hero. Mine would have been 80 today.

Thanks auld yin.

Born 29th May 1939.
The man who gave me my love of The Rangers, not just going to the games but celebrating our illustrious history.
He saw us win Cup finals and lose them. Celebrated the highs and accepted but hated the lows.
My proudest day was being able to get tickets in Manchester for me, him and my son.
Sadly, passed away at the height of the spivs, but lived for the day we returned to the top.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

And it broke his heart not to be able to include literally dozens of great Rangers players.

Thanks auld yin.
Beautiful eulogy mate. I must be ages with you. My late dad was born in 1941 and me early 1964. My dad's team isn't a million miles away from your auld fellas eleven. Kindred spirits and all that. We are the people.

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.

Love these type of posts thanks for sharing

WATP

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.

What a great tribute to your dad mate.

My dad was 60 a couple of weeks ago and we still go home and away together every week, along with his friends and mine.

Just like your dad did with you, he encouraged me to learn everything about our club and it's history.

I couldn't imagine life without him.

Your dad will be looking down on you mate, enjoying our progress under Gerrard.

His greatest ever team would take some beating.

I'm sure you'll raise a glass to him when we do 55 next season.

He sounds like a proper old school Bear.

Nice read. My own dad is 81. Health is not great these days and it has been about 3 years since he has been to a game. I trust he will make it to 55. Like the OP, big fan of Slim Jim but Willie Woodburn is his favourite. WATP

My dad was 60 a couple of weeks ago and we still go home and away together every week, along with his friends and mine.

Just like your dad did with you, he encouraged me to learn everything about our club and it's history.

For Xmas 2012 he bought me a bottle of Royal Salute Chivas regal whisky, and asked me to leave a nip in it for him to toast title 55.
That bottle will stay unopened till then, and he will be the first thought in my head.

Your dad will be as proud of you as he was of me.

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.

Nice words for your father, I’m sure he was very proud of you

For Xmas 2012 he bought me a bottle of Royal Salute Chivas regal whisky, and asked me to leave a nip in it for him to toast title 55.
That bottle will stay unopened till then, and he will be the first thought in my head.

Lump in my throat just reading that mate.

That will be one very special first drink you have from that bottle.

An incredible moment.

Cherish those days with your Dad mate. I lost my auld man back in 2004 and still think of him and all the great times we had going to Ibrox, from standing outside the old Clachan Bar waiting on him coming out after pints, to him clipping me round the ear for singing the pope wears half a baw at Christmas dinner when I was 18 years old. Miss him every day, but the good memories are there forever. WATP.

Last edited:
Nice words. My old fella passed on the day of william and Kate's wedding,was 83. I ended up caring for him after my mum died.
My last great memory of him was during the road to the final in Manchester.we watched every game on the tv together,from cl qualifiers to the final,but the best for me was the way he jumped out the chair when nacho scored the penalty to get us to the final,he was like a 16 year old. Great memories

Cherish those days with your Dad mate. I lost my auld man back in 2004 and still think of him and all the great times we had going to Ibrox, from standing outside the old Clachan Bar waiting on him coming out after pints, to him clipping me round the ear for singing the pope wears half a baw at Christmas dinner when I was 8 years old. Miss him every day, but the good memories are there forever. WATP.

I do mate and never take it for granted.

You, me, @dh1963 and scores of others on here are what we are today and have the love we have for our club because of our dads.

That's a lovely post, there. You must miss him terribly. Such a shame he passed while our club were in such turmoil.
When we finally do return to our glory at the top, I'm sure in all the delirium and bedlam you'll shed a wee tear as you look up and know he'll be looking right back down at ypu with a wee tear in his eye too.
Peace brother, and may your old man rest easy.

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.

Lovely tribute to your old man, dh.

We’ve all got a lot to thank our folks for in bequeathing us the legacy of being bears.

I’ll raise a glass for your old man and mine when we finally take our rightful place right back at the top as champions.

Lovely tribute OP.
My Dad passed away at 79 in Dec 2017.
Up until then, he would drive a 400 mile round trip to Ibrox without even thinking about it.
Took me to my first game ( along with my Uncle) in 1968, and we attended loads since.
When we win 55, there'll be a special tribute in the Bluenozebob house to not only my Dad, but also my best friend.

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.
I know exactly where your coming from mate. It leaves a gaping hole in your life, the pain lessens but doesn't go away.

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.
Only had the pleasure to meet your dad a few times at games but he was great guy and a real Rangers man.

My old man passed away in December and was of a similar vintage to yours and would have witnessed most of the highs and lows as your dad.

Sit back and raise a wee glass to him Davie.

Only had the pleasure to meet your dad a few times at games but he was great guy and a real Rangers man.

My old man passed away in December and was of a similar vintage to yours and would have witnessed most of the highs and lows as your dad.

Sit back and raise a wee glass to him Davie.

Cheers.
I never knew about your dad, certainly gives my old man someone to reminisce with till I get there!

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.
Great post and tribute mate

Yeah I know what you mean OP my old boy turned 80 in November and I'm desperate for us to win something while he's still here for me to share it with him, Luckily he's in better knick than me these days

Born 29th May 1939.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
McCoist
Thornton
Laudrup

Thanks auld yin.

You put some brilliant posts on here. This is right up there with the best of them.
It’s a parents duty to bring their children up in the right manner. Well done to yours.

You put some brilliant posts on here. This is right up there with the best of them.
It’s a parents duty to bring their children up in the right manner. Well done to yours.

And I know your much missed dad gets the same praise.

Nothing to do with me mate, but if you can possibly contact him and try and sort things out do it. I'd kill to have another 5 minutes with my dad.
I get what your saying mate, but he's a selfish prick. he took me to the local police station when I was 13 and told them I was their problem now, got put into a childrens home the following day. my mum passed away recently and he couldn't even pick the phone up.

I get what your saying mate, but he's a selfish prick. he took me to the local police station when I was 13 and told them I was their problem now, got put into a childrens home the following day. my mum passed away recently and he couldn't even pick the phone up.
Sorry to hear that mate.

As a lot of people have said dh1963, this is a fine tribute to your Dad. A lot of us have sadly had to travel the same road. My Dad died nearly 9 years ago. I miss him every day and his stories about the Iron Curtain side of the late 40’s. He would have been raging if he had known about the events of 2012.

I also feel it is very important for us “mature”?? Rangers supporters to pass stories on that we have heard from family members who are no longer with us. That way, it lets everyone know what a privilege it has been and is to be a Rangers supporter, even in the dark days of the recent past. It is also a win/win situation as it keeps our family members from the past in our hearts.

A lovely tribute mate and I'm sure your Old Man was proud as punch you followed him as a Bear.

My Dad was of the same generation as yours (1935 to 2009) and we had our ups and downs, but I'll always be grateful to him he brought me up as a Bluenose. He took me to my first game in 1969 and that was me hooked. He was a goalie himself so his favourite player was Jerry Dawson (though he also idolised the great Morton keeper Jimmy Cowan) and he had many a tale to tell of games good and bad, mostly good of course. His stories from Barcelona 1972 were especially funny. There were sad ones too. He was injured in the 1961 disaster and that's what made him wary of stairway 13 in 1971. He went into the game that way but left via Edmiston Drive as he well remembered what 13 could be like. But the good days were far more plentiful and it's thanks to him and your Dad and countless others that we are who we are, the greatest club in the world bar none.

There'll be a tear or two shed as you open that particular bottle I'm sure.

I lost my dad the week before Helicopter Sunday and when the euphoria died down on May 22, 2005 the tears came.

A lovely post mate.

I will soon be 81 and my first visit to see Rangers was in 1948. My dad worked on Saturdays but I am grateful to him for getting a friend to take me to Ibrox. The Rangers team was Brown, Young and Shaw, McColl Woodburn and Cox, Waddell, Gillick Thornton, Duncanson and Caskie. Can’t remember who Rangers played played but my first Rangers goal was scored by Jimmy Duncanson. Guess like many on the forum, I took my own son to watch Rangers when he was a wee boy and there has been no stopping him. Old guys like me lose their mobility, the enthusiasm for travelling all over Scotland and beyond to see Rangers but the bonus that we older blokes have, is that we have so many more great memories. Compared with the days when I was taken to watch Rangers one good thing that has happened is the growth in younger women taking their kids to Ibrox.

Last edited:
I'm 79 and really touched by this thread, always remember your dad is your dad. We really are the people.
My team
Goram
Young Caldow
Greig Butcher BAXTER
Henderson McMillan McCoist Gazza ( Cooper or Laudrup) can't split the last two.

Last edited:
Thanks OP, a great reminder for me as it was 20 years ago today my old man died. It nearly spoiled our treble winning day :) Never forget mum insisting just 8 hours after he died that we should gather in his TV room to watch the cup final because Dad wouldn’t want it any other way. Thank you Rod Wallace for lifting our spirits. Every time I come home and take my family to Ibrox we still look for his name tag in the main stand We are born Rangers men, thanks Dad, and Grandpas. Your grandkids still follow follow and your great granddaughters are being suitably shaped to be the 5th generation to follow on.

Thanks OP, a great reminder for me as it was 20 years ago today my old man died. It nearly spoiled our treble winning day :) Never forget mum insisting just 8 hours after he died that we should gather in his TV room to watch the cup final because Dad wouldn’t want it any other way. Thank you Rod Wallace for lifting our spirits. Every time I come home and take my family to Ibrox we still look for his name tag in the main stand We are born Rangers men, thanks Dad, and Grandpas. Your grandkids still follow follow and your great granddaughters are being suitably shaped to be the 5th generation to follow on.
That's what watching The Rangers does for people

It brings a release to the everyday strains and struggles of life and in what seems the darkest of times on a personal level they are there to lift the gloom, no matter how temporarily.

Going by this thread when we win 55 and 10's of thousands of Bears gather around the Country sandbags will need to be deployed. Among the jubilation many people's thoughts and emotions will inevitably turn to those family and friend no longer with us. Those who taught us about The Rangers and those we went to games with.

And to be honest, I cannot fu.cking wait for those tears to come.

Most on here that have posted regarding being with your Dad, taking you to see the Rangers are very lucky, my Dad died in 1947, one year after I was born.
It was going to Scotstoun school that I learned about Rangers from other school pals who would be taken to the games over at Ibrox and finally me and Jim Gillan who stayed across the street made our way over to actually attend a game versus M'well in 1959, we got lifted over I think Rangers were beaten 2 -1, thank god I went to the right school!!

Back