Napoli interested in Borna?

I am an unabashed Borna enthusiast and supporter. He'd be very difficult to replace. I'd personally be more comfortable giving Bassey a season or at minimum, half of a season to adapt, before gambling on cashing in on Borna. It would mean strengthening at Leftback again.

That said. It ultimately comes down to money. If we get anything north of £15 million for him, then I'd sell. He was one of our most influential players last season and he's utterly vital to how we play and set up both in the league and in Europe.

Have you seen enough of Bassey to say we appear to have a more able deputy?
Barisic is exactly the sort of playing we should be doing everything we can to keep if we’re to win the league this season.

We cannot trumpet our supposed buy low / sell high policy without actually seeing it in action. I think the signing of Bassey, who I admit I don’t know a lot about, is with one eye on that.

If someone comes in with £10-15m for Barisic I think he’ll be gone, and I think that’s sensible, but it won’t stop plenty on here moaning about our selling off our top talent.

Why are people so desperate to sell our best players? Its a bizarre phenomenon.

I remember my dad taking me to Ibrox as a kid growing up during 9iar. I never once heard him say, "Laudrup must be worth a fortune" or "we need to sell Gazza, to get the most of his value now". Selling players is part of our business model, but its almost as if people want us to win the balance sheet trophy instead of 55

We cannot trumpet our supposed buy low / sell high policy without actually seeing it in action. I think the signing of Bassey, who I admit I don’t know a lot about, is with one eye on that.

If someone comes in with £10-15m for Barisic I think he’ll be gone, and I think that’s sensible, but it won’t stop plenty on here moaning about our selling off our top talent.

I think the bit in bold is the thing that folk will need to get used to. In order to become sustainable we need to be generating a lot more from player sales. I think we all get a bit obsessed with what this player and that player went for, each and every player has a value and a price. We cannot just hold out for valuations or we will never improve. If we were to sell Barasic, in this case, and have a replacement lined up for 40-50% of the fee received then it's good business.

Obviously all players coming in will not always work out but we can't live in fear of the unknown and just hold onto what we have.

Barisic is exactly the sort of player we should be actively looking to cash in on, especially now that we appear to have a more able deputy.
Let’s calm it. Bassey is a youngster who has no track record in senior football. Premature doesn’t begin to describe that comment.

Bit more meat on the story here. Borna not first or second choice for Napoli but being watched. Not a likely move thankfully.

I see Fer has signed a new 2 year deal with Feyenoord. Thought he would have been perfect for us on a Bosman.

The time must be quite soon where we sell for a decent profit one or two players then replicate a few years down the line. Teams with higher revenues than us do it

I like Barisic. Indeed I was one of the few on here who, this time last year, thought there was still a good chance of him coming good. If I recall correctly, the general consensus this time last year was that we should bite the hand off the first club to offer a couple of million or so for him.

I am also one of the ones who gets frustrated at some of the low valuations many seem to put on our players. For example, I am very much in the camp of Morelos being a £25m type player rather than a £15m one. That said, I think some of the valuations people are putting on Barisic on this thread are well of the mark. £20m? £25m? That seems crazy to me. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see Barisic being able to command a fee in those sorts of regions.

Good though Barisic is, and important though full back is to the way we play, he is still just a full back, not someone who is in the spine of our team. Let’s put it this way, if the choice was selling Barisic for, say, £10m or selling Morelos for, say, £15m, I am selling Barisic all day long and holding on to Morelos.

If we need / want to sell someone to fund incoming transfers then I would much rather be working with a few million less and no Barisic and having to find a new left back than working with a few million more, no Morelos and having to find a new centre forward.

In part, I suppose I just feel that full back is a much more replaceable position than others. I would be disappointed if Ross Wilson and his team couldn’t come up with a good replacement full back for £2-3m.

Think if the offer is right Borna will be one of the players we would sell. Would say £10 million would be a good deal given the circumstances
Lol. Some amount of new members spouting some amount of piss lately.

If the mentally challengeds can get £25 million for rubber hips. Im sure we could get £30 million for Croatia number 1 left back. Who has 4 years left on his contract.
Arsenal were the absolute mugs on signing him for that price. Not many clubs would have been stupid enough to pay that.

Add the fact that he has been a disaster for arsenal for that money, it will make it more difficult to get a good price for a player from scotland.

Arsenal were the absolute mugs on signing him for that price. Not many clubs would have been stupid enough to pay that.

Add the fact that he has been a disaster for arsenal for that money, it will make it more difficult to get a good price for a player from scotland.

He's had injury issues but he hasn't been a disaster, he's started to come good. Borna could play EPL level no probs. Wouldn't surprise me if a bid came in for him. Hope not, I'd rather keep him for years.

Oh lord. 1) we are never getting £20m for Borna let alone £30m and 2) Douglas is extremely injury prone and is kept out the Leeds team by a makeshift left back in Allioski

Douglas is like Dorrans. When was Douglas last a star performer down there? Its because he's a Rangers fan that be gets mentioned constantly. He's a player on the downward trajectory, not what we need.

If the mentally challengeds can get £25 million for rubber hips. Im sure we could get £30 million for Croatia number 1 left back. Who has 4 years left on his contract.
This “oh Celtic got x amount so we can ask for x amount” logic just doesn’t work. You’ve got to take so much into account like selling clubs finances, buying clubs finances, age, what the market looks like etc

If we're going to put it all into winning the league this coming season, then we need to hold onto Morelos and Barisic. Only after that should we cash in on transfers.

Totally agree about keeping Borna and Buff. If we’re selling anyone, it should probably be Kamara even though the interest in him appears to have waned.

Croatian international who had a solid season for us. I think next season we will see the best of him and there will be a few more of Europe’s big clubs sniffing about.

He was a great signing, as will Katic and Hagi turn out to be.

So we should sell him because fullbacks don’t offer much in Scottish football

Also Barisic is one of the best left backs in Europe and will be at Juve within a year

Got to love FF

How high do the management team rate Bassey?

No one in our team is irreplaceable. If the money is right they will be sold.
Bassey will have been signed to be prepared to replace Borna, only those at the club will know if he's ready to step in now or if it will be a while yet. Hopefully he's a bit more developed and a ready made replacement.

They can be interested all they want. So can Roma. However, unless they want to kick the bidding off at £20m they can forget it.

Why are people so desperate to sell our best players? Its a bizarre phenomenon.

I remember my dad taking me to Ibrox as a kid growing up during 9iar. I never once heard him say, "Laudrup must be worth a fortune" or "we need to sell Gazza, to get the most of his value now". Selling players is part of our business model, but its almost as if people want us to win the balance sheet trophy instead of 55
Sign of the times mate

We should be in no rush to sell Borna, unless he has intimated he wants to move - which he certainly hasn't said publicly.

Refuse all bids other than silly money (£15m+)

I like Barisic. Indeed I was one of the few on here who, this time last year, thought there was still a good chance of him coming good. If I recall correctly, the general consensus this time last year was that we should bite the hand off the first club to offer a couple of million or so for him.

I am also one of the ones who gets frustrated at some of the low valuations many seem to put on our players. For example, I am very much in the camp of Morelos being a £25m type player rather than a £15m one. That said, I think some of the valuations people are putting on Barisic on this thread are well of the mark. £20m? £25m? That seems crazy to me. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see Barisic being able to command a fee in those sorts of regions.

Good though Barisic is, and important though full back is to the way we play, he is still just a full back, not someone who is in the spine of our team. Let’s put it this way, if the choice was selling Barisic for, say, £10m or selling Morelos for, say, £15m, I am selling Barisic all day long and holding on to Morelos.

If we need / want to sell someone to fund incoming transfers then I would much rather be working with a few million less and no Barisic and having to find a new left back than working with a few million more, no Morelos and having to find a new centre forward.

In part, I suppose I just feel that full back is a much more replaceable position than others. I would be disappointed if Ross Wilson and his team couldn’t come up with a good replacement full back for £2-3m.
Tierney left that lot for 25m. Barisic is far better than Tierney, and is the first pick LB with the World Cup runners up, as opposed to a sometimes LB, sometimes RB, biscuit hipped mentally challenged wank

Let’s calm it. Bassey is a youngster who has no track record in senior football. Premature doesn’t begin to describe that comment.

Whether it’s Bassey that replaces Borna or someone else entirely is not really the point - it’s that Barisic is exactly the sort of marketable asset we should be open to cashing in on in order to elevate the quality of the squad with the proceeds.

People tend to nod along to our model in theory until it’s put into practice and then all hell breaks loose, especially among those that have applied delusionally over-inflated price tags to our players.

Barisic is exactly the sort of player we should be actively looking to cash in on, especially now that we appear to have a more able deputy.

Whos the more than able deputy? The guy from leicester under 23's?.

We need Borna this year and unless something stupid comes in it would be madness to offload. The young lad might be a more attacking minded left back than what we have had as back up. But no way should we offload Borna and put him in there full time.

Whos the more than able deputy? The guy from leicester under 23's?.

We need Borna this year and unless something stupid comes in it would be madness to offload. The young lad might be a more attacking minded left back than what we have had as back up. But no way should we offload Borna and put him in there full time.

Not ‘more than able’, simply ‘a more able’ deputy.

But, this is a perfect example of fans failing to accept our business model. We’re a club from
an impoverished backwater of a league - we won’t be turning down eight figure bids for a guy who cost a fraction of that, and neither we should.

Not ‘more than able’, simply ‘a more able’ deputy.

But, this is a perfect example of fans failing to accept our business model. We’re a club from
an impoverished backwater of a league - we won’t be turning down eight figure bids for a guy who cost a fraction of that, and neither we should.

I am not failing to notice anything. Right now we are a bawhair from having built the squad to give us what we all crave. So unless something like 25m upwards came in i wouldnt be punting no one. You cannot put a value on bagging the league, we are desperate. %^*& the 10 in a row shite no interested i have eyes only on us.

Its time to take the top back, no punt guys for 15m that in todays market are worth more. No one will ever give us European value for players if we bite the hand off the first offer thats double digit millions.

They can get to! Really like Borna the only thing missing from his game is a nasty streak. Seen him last year standing in the tunnel at Dingwall and he was desparate to shake hands with all of their players it looked weird.

Said it before I reckon Borna could be worth every bit as much as Morelos, if the Euros had gone ahead this summer and he had a decent run with Croatia then I reckon we would have been selling him off the back of that.

I am not failing to notice anything. Right now we are a bawhair from having built the squad to give us what we all crave. So unless something like 25m upwards came in i wouldnt be punting no one. You cannot put a value on bagging the league, we are desperate. %^*& the 10 in a row shite no interested i have eyes only on us.

Its time to take the top back, no punt guys for 15m that in todays market are worth more. No one will ever give us European value for players if we bite the hand off the first offer thats double digit millions.

What actually is today’s market in this (almost) post pandemic world?

Barisic had a great season and was integral to the way we played, but it’s been his one and only good season to date. His value has gone up massively from the £2m we paid for him, no question, but despite the Tierney equation I doubt anyone will be offering £25m for him.

That’s not to say we accept the first £10m bid that comes along, but for a club in our situation - still being funded out of the pockets of our board and benevolent benefactors - we need to start addressing that and begin standing on our own two feet financially, and selling our most marketable assets when they’re at the top of their game is, as unpalatable as it may be for a support desperate to end the Yahoos’ dominance, necessary to our medium to long term survival.

Barisic is 27. I’d argue selling him now is therefore the optimum time. Which isn’t to say I’ll be in any way unhappy if he stays, but it’s the gamble we take. Next year, at 28, and who knows, maybe with a poorer season behind him or one disrupted by injury, will we still get top dollar for him?

Of course, he could have a stellar season and be instrumental in leading us to the title, but it’s not the Nineties anymore when we were spunking cash around in pursuit of silverware with no real thought of making a profit on ageing players. We have a different model now and a more cautious group of men holding the purse strings, but we need to see that model actively working for us.

So far there’s been little evidence of it and posts demanding we hold onto our top players in order to win the title make it more difficult to see it succeeding.

The problem with comparing him to Biscuit Hips is that he is/was only worth about 6m to 8m.

It was utterly ridiculous the money they got for him. As Arsenal have found out since day 1.

Borna is a better player but unless another club is as stupid as Arsenal we will not get any more than 10m.

A price we would sell at IMO.

We may be able to hold out for around 12m but that is his ceiling at approaching 28.

Back