Nathan Patterson

St Albans Bear

We know his quality. He’s rusty AF and is showing it for Scotland. Dyche is more or less laughing at him in the press by playing the “big brother patting him on the head” card… it’s all going to drive down his value. Is there not though an opportunity to get him back at an affordable price to take over from Tav in the next year or two?

Patterson is a classic example of the wrong choice of club setting a player’s development back years.

It’s happened to Aribo, Bassey initially at Ajax and now Patterson.

Gilmour’s loan at Norwich nearly completely derailed his career too. Fortunately for him it was only a loan.

It’s a tough one though because the type of money involved in these deals makes it very hard for young players to turn down or walk away from. Even if they are going to a basket case of a club like Everton in Patterson’s case.

Last edited:
We need him to kick on. Young players going for a high fee and returning is not a good look for our transfer strategy.
If you can get him for a lot less than he was sold for is decent strategy.
Not that I'd be happy for us to sign him as he hasn't been playing much... Nor was he when Everton signed him.

Patterson is a classic example of the wrong choice of club setting a player’s development back years.

Gilomour’s loan at Norwich nearly completely derailed his career too. Fortunately for him it was only a loan.

It’s a tough one though because the type of money involved in these deals makes it very hard for young players to turn down or walk away from. Even if they are going to a basket case of a club like Everton in Patterson’s case.
I always remember there being a feeling that Holland lost a generation of its most talented young players because they were leaving the league before accumulating the best part of 100 games or a few seasons to play in the reserves at other clubs. I think the bigger names were Maduro, Babel, Rigters and Drenthe. This might be the first time that Scotland's gone through the same thing.

Wages would be a stumbling block I would imagine and the players desire to return to Scotland. If he wanted to return and was t on stupid money then it would make sense to replace Tav with him.

A move to a championship team next year will do him well imo. Saying that Everton may well be a championship side come August. However a move back to Ibrox is not what him or the club need atm.

Reactions: TQ3
I don't think he'll be back tbh. He'll get a move away from Everton and will kick on from there.

I always thought Hutton would come back one day, but he became a decent premiership player, something I think Patterson will do in time.

If he’s to kick on in his career he needs to get himself away from that bin fire of a club. We couldn’t afford his wages now so unless he’s homesick or we are taking later on in his career I can’t see him come back.

Had a mare the other night but we all know how good he is.

It's really just a case of not being fancied by a manager who didn't sign him - happens regularly at that level. I mean what use would an attacking full back be to Sean Dyche?

He will move in the summer - it may be he drops down a level or gets a move to a more attack minded lower level EPL team. The way Everton are going they could well end up in the Championship themselves and on the absolute slide down the leagues if they get docked more points.

We need him to kick on. Young players going for a high fee and returning is not a good look for our transfer strategy.
Kamara, Aribo (latterly) and Bassey are all doing fine. Can't expect a 100% record. Patterson won't be the first, or by a mile the most expensive, for things to turn sour at basket case Everton. His contract runs to 2027 though and if Dyche is still there next season, I doubt Patterson will be. He'll be beyond our budget, but he'll need to move on

If he returned and consistently performed at a high level, there's not a single buying club who would factor him returning to us into a decision to buy him.

We know his quality. He’s rusty AF and is showing it for Scotland. Dyche is more or less laughing at him in the press by playing the “big brother patting him on the head” card… it’s all going to drive down his value. Is there not though an opportunity to get him back at an affordable price to take over from Tav in the next year or two?

What makes you think Tav will need to be replaced in a years time?

The guys 32, our captain and a goal machine.

To be brutally honest, if we sell a player for a hefty profit, does it matter that much how they perform afterwards? I don't see how it would reflect negatively on us if they perform badly.

His inital fee could rise depending on add-on clauses being met. So it definitely does affect us. This is why we also need Leeds to get promoted this season as there are also add-ons in the Kamara deal.

I always remember there being a feeling that Holland lost a generation of its most talented young players because they were leaving the league before accumulating the best part of 100 games or a few seasons to play in the reserves at other clubs. I think the bigger names were Maduro, Babel, Rigters and Drenthe. This might be the first time that Scotland's gone through the same thing.
I lived in Holland for a bit and the Dutch guy I used to go to the football with said exactly that.
The best players were getting snapped up by academy’s in England and not progressing as they would have with 100 games by the time they were 20-21.

Another quality player that followed the money , give it a year or so and he'll be in the English Championship and then forgotten about.

I always thought Drenthe would come good.

Patterson could do with getting away from there and doing a good solid Championship year. With a good club obviously.

Think he saw the money and being a young guy who could blame him knowing he wasn't keen him back in a heart beat Tav's place anytime soon.
young lad who can secure his future with a big move at his age has to take it. Easy for a young player to get damaged by the hammer throwers in Scotland, so go for it.
If Tav left I'd take him back in a minute, unlikely as it may, be the best is yet to come from that young man.

Don’t know how good or bad he will end up being but in hindsight Everton was a dreadful move for him

A basket case of a club with a manager who is a complete prick, he’s fortunate the fans are so wrapped up in points deduction stuff or surely would be under severe pressure?

A horrendous manager that Patterson is now working under

Patterson may have a decent career but currently looks like we got way over the odds for him

Dyche said yesterday that "It was a joke. I tapped him on the head like your older brother would and he didn't get the joke".

In other words he is claiming Nathan overreacted.

I would imagine there is more to it than that as the story would never have reached the press without there being more in it.

Gilomour’s loan at Norwich nearly completely derailed his career too. Fortunately for him it was only a loan.

Easy to say with hindsight but Ajax seemed a perfect fit for Bassey to develop as a player, given their track record of producing talent.

To be brutally honest, if we sell a player for a hefty profit, does it matter that much how they perform afterwards? I don't see how it would reflect negatively on us if they perform badly.
Over time teams would stop paying us decent money for our players if most of them end up being poor signings

Back