Nathan Patterson

To be brutally honest, if we sell a player for a hefty profit, does it matter that much how they perform afterwards? I don't see how it would reflect negatively on us if they perform badly.
I think it does.
Clubs earn a reputation for having a successful transfer strategy.
We only need to look across the city for the example. They regularly get good fees for players well above what we would get, thud is simply because they have a good reputation for players doing well after leaving.

Hopefully the kid gets a move away from Everton with Dyche in charge their heading for the Championship when he’s playing the likes of Ashley Young and Seamus Coleman ahead of him there’s something seriously wrong. I’ve always had a soft spot for the toffees but Dyche is proving to be a complete disaster the supporters deserve better maybe going down will hopefully get rid of Dyche get a proper coach in and rebuild.

I don't think he'll be back tbh. He'll get a move away from Everton and will kick on from there.

I always thought Hutton would come back one day, but he became a decent premiership player, something I think Patterson will do in time.
A difficult context in which to imagine could have returned, had Rangers not been demoted it may have been different.

Rangers basically pushed him out the door, we could’ve held on to him for a bit longer.
The club can't push any player anywhere. It takes the player to actually sign a contract elsewhere to actually leave. He was never getting in ahead of Tav. So how could we be pushing him away. He got an offer of many thousands more a week and left. That's it. He wasn't guaranteed more gametime elsewhere and guess what it's been proven. He had a couple of decent performances here and that's it.

Best of luck to him and I hope he turns things round but as it stands he is nowhere near being our right back. Miles off it.

He needs out of Everton in the summer, for the sake of his career. The likely best case scenario is that he’s in the same position as he is now. Alternatively, he’s on the bench in the Championship behind a hammer thrower at right back.

Arrived in the dying embers of the Benitez era most likely as a club signing. Neither Lampard (which I found surprising), nor Dyche seem to fully believe in him.

He deserves to be somewhere he is wanted. I think going abroad, on loan initially, could be the best thing for him.

Last edited:
He's physically a good player with some good technical attributes but he's not got the mental aspect to play consistently at a high-level. He played with his heart on his sleeve, which made many in our support go nuts for him because it contrasted Tav's style but it proved to me why composure trumps aggression in the modern game tbh.

Over time teams would stop paying us decent money for our players if most of them end up being poor signings

I don't see how to be honest. If it doesn't work out at their new club it's nothing to do with us. It's not like we've cheated anyone.

I think next season we need to identify Tavs successor and start getting them games with a view to having them be a regular the following season. I love Tav but by then he will be 34.

We know his quality. He’s rusty AF and is showing it for Scotland. Dyche is more or less laughing at him in the press by playing the “big brother patting him on the head” card… it’s all going to drive down his value. Is there not though an opportunity to get him back at an affordable price to take over from Tav in the next year or two?
Would very much doubt it.
I'm sure Phil has his own ideas and won't be looking backwards

I think it does.
Clubs earn a reputation for having a successful transfer strategy.
We only need to look across the city for the example. They regularly get good fees for players well above what we would get, thud is simply because they have a good reputation for players doing well after leaving.

I'd say they have a mixed record when it comes to how their players progress after leaving them. From memory only van Dijk and Wanyama have went on to be sold for more than what the filth received in recent years. Tierney was that much of a crock the Arsenal hierarchy investigated why they paid so much for him, and we know what a farce Jota's time in Saudi has been so far.

To be brutally honest, if we sell a player for a hefty profit, does it matter that much how they perform afterwards? I don't see how it would reflect negatively on us if they perform badly.
Obviously it does. If someone isn’t sure about one of our young players they are interested in then we could point to previous successes and show a history of producing players for the top levels. It’s why some smaller clubs can claim massive transfer fees for their young players.

It does, very much so.

We need to have a proven history of selling players who have a record of success once we have sold them on.

That way we will be able to ask much more for our young talents, we can show we are selling a product that is ready made for a higher level.

If 80% of the young players we sell go on to smash it in the Premiership, people will come looking at our young players and we can price them accordingly.
If 5% go on to be a success, no one comes looking and we are left hawking them around clubs at a lower level for less money.

Id be more than happy if he takes over from Tav but i just dont see it happening they would still want a huge fee for an international player, even if Rangers have CL cash i dont think we would be interested at 8/9/10m quid, far too much money.

I think Tav has another season in him anyway at the very least.

It is always interesting the way we focus on any negatives about Scottish players had he played well against NI, or if Shanksy scored that sitter and Souttar never lost his man, these would be friendly games no one cares about.

He's probably played 1 full season worth of games since he first started playing adult football. Needs much more game time. We didn't even play him enough. Plenty of opportunities to rest Tav or bring Patterson off the bench but we didn't do it.

I was sad to see just how terrible he was the other night, looks like has regressed considerably.
And given his Rangers connection, he is the perfect fall guy for the Scotland fans.

For the sake of his career, he has to get away from Everton, even if it's down a division.

I don't see how to be honest. If it doesn't work out at their new club it's nothing to do with us. It's not like we've cheated anyone.
They'll obviously realise our players aren't worth buying, why would they keep coming back with big money?

Simple stuff really

From the minute he came on at half time against Antwerp right up until the end of the 55 season, he was brilliant.

He’s the only player we’ve seen at RB who was even close to Tav’s level in the last 10 years.

If the money was right, I’d definitely bring him back. He’s young, homegrown and has all the attributes we get with Tav.

I think watching Patterson who has huge potential btw shows how good Tav is for us. I was never in the pick on Tav camp at the start of this season. Patterson is a good player but I definitely wouldn’t be bringing him back any time soon. We need a number 9 as a matter of priority. I would rather see the money spent on that

Dyche said yesterday that "It was a joke. I tapped him on the head like your older brother would and he didn't get the joke".

In other words he is claiming Nathan overreacted.

I would imagine there is more to it than that as the story would never have reached the press without there being more in it.
Dyche probably the worst manager that Patterson could have ended up with.
His key focus is defensive organisation and an attacking fullback like Patterson wouldn’t be flavour of the month.
This is exacerbated by the Ukrainian Left back call him Myko (can’t spell it in full) costing even more than Patterson and being an attacking fullbacks.
2 attacking fullbacks in a Dyche team??
To confirm my thought process a 99 year old full back Ashley Young was played in front of Patterson and Seamus Coleman a 79 year old fullback.
Seriously none of them are exactly gonna fly up the wing and back.

Unfortunate for Patterson who should look to get out and reset.
He has the compensation of high wages but from a football perspective he’s at a dead end while Dyche is there who clearly doesn’t rate him.

No one is convincing me that Seamus Coleman is a better option than him at RB
He probably is in the way Dyche plays him. Dyche gets the right back to tuck in next to the right centre back and if the right midfielder doesn't get back to pick up the opposition's wide man then he has a free run at the right back. It's just so negative. Many times Patterson is out wide with his arm in the air when attacking, calling for the ball and does not receive it. But in saying that young Nathan looks like a player very short on confidence. When he broke through into our first team he played with a youthful exhuberance, taking on defenders and running at people. Now he plays like he has the world on his shoulders. A lot of that is down to the pressure on the Everton manager to stay up and being dropped after he's had a decent game. Would've been better joining someone like Crystal Palace where young attacking players play in a system that allows them to flourish.

Dyche probably the worst manager that Patterson could have ended up with.
His key focus is defensive organisation and an attacking fullback like Patterson wouldn’t be flavour of the month.
This is exacerbated by the Ukrainian Left back call him Myko (can’t spell it in full) costing even more than Patterson and being an attacking fullbacks.
2 attacking fullbacks in a Dyche team??
To confirm my thought process a 99 year old full back Ashley Young was played in front of Patterson and Seamus Coleman a 79 year old fullback.
Seriously none of them are exactly gonna fly up the wing and back.

Unfortunate for Patterson who should look to get out and reset.
He has the compensation of high wages but from a football perspective he’s at a dead end while Dyche is there who clearly doesn’t rate him.
Everton have one of the best defensive records in the league as Dyche likes to get as many men as possible behind the ball when they lose it. To be fair his system works very well defensively but they just can't score enough goals. Even when Patterson does get the ball in the attacking third there's only one player in the box most of the time.

He needs to move away from Everton for the good of his career. Even a championship club will do him good. He needs to be playing every week and the championship will help him develop.

Agree, where is the evidence to suggest he's the player everyone thinks he is? Because I've never ever seen it.
Wasn't he getting man of the match awards before that dinosaur dyche and getting a run in the team

Easy to say with hindsight but Ajax seemed a perfect fit for Bassey to develop as a player, given their track record of producing talent.
Isn't bassey doing not bad with Fulham

His Ajax team mates seemed like arrogant assholes in the promo video when he signed
There also a basket case of a club when he signed

Think he saw the money and being a young guy who could blame him knowing he wasn't taking Tav's place anytime soon.
Correct. It was a no brainer for everyone. Had he established himself better then it’s a different story. But he also had to shift a club legend in Coleman too. It’s been a tough gig for him.

Classic case of someone who was player B team 12 months ago rushing to too high a level, he's a good player but needs game time at a smaller club.

Don't agree with the narrative being built that he's just not good.

Great going forward but not convinced of his defensive capabilities yet. Goal against Northern Ireland was a great example of over-playing in a dangerous area, which he does often but usually gets away with. He has great potential but just needs to get more game experience and get better at picking the best option.

Nowhere near a replacement for Tav now unfortunately.

He's hardly played this season and in both Scotland games it showed.

Most of his crossing was poor and some of his defending was lax or worse.

Doesn't mean he is a bad player and hopefully next year gets a move where he is 1st choice at whatever club and can push on.

It does because there is usually a sell on fee attached to the deal.Clearly if he is playing well and attracts the attention of a bigger club we are getting a cut which is usually at least 10%.
We wont get that if he isnt getting game time or playing well.

Back