Neil Lennon: Tribute to football legend Walter Smith.

Full respect. Lennon when he has his head screwed on seems like a decent man at times . I think his problems go beyond football. He spoke well there.
He is when not drinking , I met him about 10 years ago in a bar/restaurant in Lanarkshire and we had a chat, I told him I was a Rangers fan and we had a bit of banter, pity that he shows himself up a lot and acts like an idiot.
Good words from him though.

Someone needs to post "that" pic of the two of them several years ago (with Ally) golfing somewhere together, absolutely bellowing with laughter about something (would love to have known the joke)......
Anyway, making me smile and chuckle now because, at the time, it certainly provoked quite the reaction on here.
Recall folk saying things like "What the actual %^*& is goin on?" and "I nearly choked on my cornflakes this morning!" .......not being overly enamoured at seeing them mix and having what seemed a 'jolly boys outing' with our hated rival.
Sure today those views would have softened a bit seeing the picture now, Lennon clearly had some much respect for the Gaffer, absolutely no doubt.....

Lennon said: “My thoughts are with Walter’s wife Ethel, his boys and the rest of the family.

“Walter was a great man, first and foremost. He was a class act with how he dealt with people and the respect he showed everyone.

“No one was ever in any doubt how big a Rangers man he was. What he did for the club, his incredible success, will rightly never be forgotten.

“But I always appreciated how well he spoke of Celtic too. He had nothing but respect for the club and its history.

“Of course the rivalry was always there, as it should be. But Walter always spoke well, carried himself brilliantly. He was very dignified.”

He added: “I learned a lot from Walter. I knew I was going up against a Rangers legend when I became Celtic manager.

“I relished the challenge but I was just starting out, while Walter had already done so much and earned the status as one of Scottish football’s best ever managers.

“I respected his longevity as a top boss, his success, and more than anything else, his mental strength.

“Walter was a really intelligent football guy. He was always immaculate in his appearance.

“We had seven derbies in that 2010-11 season. It was a titanic year and we got pipped at the post in the league and also lost to Rangers in the League Cup.

“It was still a great learning experience for me and I picked up a lot that season going up against Walter.

“There were also a few moments in the heat of battle when he’d glance across the technical area and give me one of his famous glares, as if to say, ‘Are you sure?’.

"After derbies we would briefly meet up with our backroom staff. But you hardly got time to really talk.

“But I’d study Walter and how he went about the job.

“The longer I was Celtic manager the more I understood how good he was under the intense scrutiny and pressure.

“It was only after he left Rangers that I’d meet him at functions and events and get to know him better.

“Just before the lockdown, I sat with him and Graeme Souness for a couple of hours at a charity dinner. I really enjoyed that.”

Lennon was aware of the seriousness of Smith’s illness and he said: “I tried to keep up to date with how Walter was doing.

"I knew he hadn’t been well for a period of time.

“He turned up at that golf event and it made everyone’s day, we all took a lift from seeing Walter.

“Just to see him out and walking about was great. I was delighted to see him, as always.

“I’d heard a few days ago that things weren’t great. But the news today has still come as a big shock.

“I’m upset because I respected Walter a lot.

“He was a massive figure in Scottish football. But people will also speak about him in just as great terms as a person, and rightly so.

“I’ll never forget how Walter helped me during some of my toughest times.”
Fair do's to him.

I honestly think the outpouring of grief from across the divide to be genuine. It shows how loved and respected Walter was from absolutely everyone.

Sadly one or two of our own simply cannot let go of their hatred and are embarrassing themselves.

I wish everyone had the class and dignity Walter had in spades. What a guy.

Very touching tribute. Its nice for all the often bitter world of football rivalries to be set aside as all stand together to recognise an exemplary man who reminds of the core values in life.

Very nice tribute from Neil Lennon there. There’s no doubt how well respected and well liked Walter was.

Never thought I'd see the day I'd respect Neil Lennon. In fact ever since he has left that club he has spoke quite well on a few things. Fair play when it's due.

“There were also a few moments in the heat of battle when he’d glance across the technical area and give me one of his famous glares, as if to say, ‘Are you sure?’.

There is something so incredible about this but I’m not sure how to word it.

Really hope this can be a bit of a reset for the Scottish game, instead of focusing on the hatred which has been the case since 2012 we should be trying to improve the game.

Walter was clearly very competitive and a winner but he always treated people with respect regardless of who they were. A lot of people in the Scottish game need to learn from him

I remember him saying after we won the league that if he's to lose the league he's glad it was to Walter Smith so fair play to him for that

Really hope this can be a bit of a reset for the Scottish game, instead of focusing on the hatred which has been the case since 2012 we should be trying to improve the game.

Walter was clearly very competitive and a winner but he always treated people with respect regardless of who they were. A lot of people in the Scottish game need to learn from him

Tabloid journalists writing from the heart and connecting with their readers
Neil Lennon in a moving and honest tribute that resonates with bears and shows him as a thoroughly decent and articulate man.
Celtic's message on their social media, Walter pictured with Tommy Burns, and the genuine sentiment in the post.

Some astonishing things that remind us of our common cause and what we are capable of when we listen to the better angels of our nature.

Well said, the one thing that Walters passing has shown is how well respected and thought of he was almost universally - even against previous fierce alias (Aberdeen fans forum seems to the only exception)

for all Neil Lennon has his flaws (don't we all) that is a very heart felt tribute to a great man who has clearly left a lasting impression on him.

It brings on the tears again when you see all the fantastic tributes from across the divide. What a man Walter Smith was, everyone has nothing but total respect for him. What Lennon is saying is the things you never really get to hear about or are aware of. He was a special man.

I can’t get enough of hearing everyone give their high opinion of Walter.
The folk that new him personally were the lucky ones, but unfortunately, also the ones hit hardest in this very sad time.

Hate Lennon or not, these words “I’ll never forget how Walter helped me during some of my toughest times.”

It does show we all can have issues that need support and Sir Walter doing the supporting does not surprise me at all. Sir Walter is and always will be the number one legend!

Might be a controversial opinion, but now Lennon is away from Celtic and Scottish Football I dont really have much against him.
Hes a Celtic fan and Im a Rangers fan but other than that I can leave all the rest behind.

Nice words from Neil Lennon. Its sad that it takes the death of a noble man to make people like him act rationally and with humanity. His words are welcome and demonstrate his respect for Mr Smith.

Away from the old firm stuff when you hear lennon talking on soccer Saturday etc he actually comes across as fairly decent and knowledgeable.

I have said this before about Lennon but worth repeating I suppose here.

See when he is outwith being the manager of a football club...I actually he feel he talks a lot of sense and seems an alright chap. Some of his behaviour when on the booze and when in football has been pretty deplorable to say the least. He has issues for sure that make him that way.

However, good words from Lennon there. Be hard pressed to find anyone who did not have nice words to say on Smith. Legend.
I've thought this myself. If it weren't for religion and booze I think I'd like the guy.

Nice words from Lennon there.

Lennon gets it tight but I think he just plays to the crowd. Away from football he seems ok. My ex’s work used to hold functions in The Drake at Woodlands and he was in there a lot during his first spell as celtic manager. He was always brand new.

Fair play to Lennon, a lovely tribute.

Near enough every tribute refers to what a brilliant man Walter was off the pitch and how he so often went out his way to help people behind the scenes with no publicity.
I suspect we only know a fraction of Walter’s true greatness.

Might be a controversial opinion, but now Lennon is away from Celtic and Scottish Football I dont really have much against him.
Hes a Celtic fan and Im a Rangers fan but other than that I can leave all the rest behind.

Feel the same mate. Listen, we can all get carried away at times and Lennon despised us as much as us him. Admittedly some idiots took it took it too far, but he was the pantomime villain for many years and, looking back, those characters define the Old Firm.

Seeing the way his own fans treated him last season and then seeing some guy filming him steaming and looking like he was struggling mentally, actually made us feel sorry for the guy.

No ill will towards him at all and fair play to him for this tribute.

Back