Neil McCann on signing for Gers and scum shame game

Bonnyloyal

“But, from being a swashbuckling team who would often blow the opposition away, Jim was canny enough to switch us to counter-attack for the final and we broke our hoodoo.” McCann by then had done more than enough to impress Rangers’ new manager-in-waiting Advocaat who signed him midway through the following 
campaign. As a Catholic.

When McCann was unveiled to the media, religion was pretty much the first question. “I expected that and I had to learn to defend myself and deal with the shrapnel. Was I worried how the Rangers fans would react? I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t. But while I wasn’t a Rangers supporter when I signed I became one as soon as I did and I’d like to think the punters 
recognised that in my performances, even the stinkers and there were a 
few of them! I can honestly say I 
never got any grief from Rangers fans although there was plenty from the other side.

“Religion had no relevance to me. I’d loved playing for Hearts, as I’d loved my time at Dundee, and here was a chance to progress my career with an exciting team – Gio [Van Bronckhorst], Claudio [Reyna], [Arthur] Numan, Andrei [Kanchelskis], the big Italian love-god Amo [Lorenzo Amoruso] and all those guys. And religion didn’t matter to my parents who were thrilled for me and have always given me such fantastic backing, right from as a kid when they’d heat up a flask of orange juice for me on cold, horrible days and buy me football boots they probably couldn’t afford.”

It did matter to some in May ’99 in an Old Firm encounter at Celtic Park notorious even by the fixture’s rigorous standards and one which – after three red cards issued by referee Hugh Dallas, felled by a missile from the crowd then re-emerging with a bloody head – was immediately dubbed the “Shame Game”.

McCann scored two goals to help Rangers clinch the title on the way to the Treble but in the midst of the mayhem wondered how he was going to get out alive. “I thought to myself: ‘This is kicking off big-time and I’m Public Enemy No 1’. Guys trying to run on to the pitch were being rugby-tackled left, right and centre and you knew things were bad when the yellow stewards were stepping aside and the ones in red were moving in. My family were all in the away end and I was worried for them. Me, I fancied my pace as I always did but if things got any worse I was going to get swamped.”

Aggro continued through the night. “My car was trashed – I wasn’t at home – and there was trouble in Port Glasgow.” The next day when he should have been re-living his goals the papers seemed to barely touch 
on the match, his big day ruined by “poisonous hatred”.

This has to be recalled, still, and McCann just about understands why. But he’d much rather be discussing Advocaat’s canniness – playing our man through the middle that day, the occasions he reduced the Ibrox width – and Strachan’s passion for the game and how everything McCann has gleaned from his mentors can hopefully revive Dundee, without too much need for the Jefferies flame-thrower. Single-mindedness brought Neil McCann to this juncture and will take him on from here. And if not, will it be back to punditry? “The seat’s not being kept warm for me. Too many fancy it!”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-on-why-dundee-must-leave-dens-park-1-4555171

Looks like a good read, is that from a book?

I know it's from The Scotsman, but is it serialising a book?

A great wee player who will live in Rangers history for the shame game at parkhead ( why doesn't the Scottish mhedia just say celtic's shame for it was their supporters who were throwing coins at the referee and invading the park trying to assault players and officials ) .
So thank you Neil you will always be a hero of mine

Fantastic player and one that particularity sticks in mind was the roasting he gave Craig Moore in the League Cup final playing for Hearts.

Was one of my favourite players as a lad. One of my favourite pundits as an adult and hopefully one of my favourite rangers managers in the future. Guess full of class.

Reactions: TQ3
As mentioned, it's the press that stirs this up with their opening question about religion. And, of course, the hassle always comes from the other side.

Think his family put up with some amount of abuse in the Port... good on them for saying fck off

Fantastic player and one that particularity sticks in mind was the roasting he gave Craig Moore in the League Cup final playing for Hearts.

He was a nightmare that day.

Anyone remember the following season at Ibrox, in the snow, Goram had a shocker of an attempted clearence and McCann side footed it right on the top corner, peach of a finish. Game finished 2-2

Neil McCann showed his class pre match today. He stood for numerous photographs, signatures and general chit chat at the Enclosure.
Top man. Always a Ranger.

He's a bluenose for sure, even if he wasn't born one.

When he was a pundit he was always fair, too. Always gave a balanced opinion that many others in the industry could learn from.

He was a nightmare that day.

Anyone remember the following season at Ibrox, in the snow, Goram had a shocker of an attempted clearence and McCann side footed it right on the top corner, peach of a finish. Game finished 2-2
Hindsight he helped cost us ten in a row that game.
Albertz equalised with an orange ball.

Love the wee man.

Brilliant player for us and, for me, the best pundit in Scottish football.
Dundee's gain is the audience's loss.
Wish him all the luck in the world in management.

A class act who'll always be welcome at Ibrox.

No surprise all the aggro came from the other side, same with MoJo, they just cannot handle Catholics, a: playing for Rangers and b: being accepted and lauded by the Rangers support.

Loved him as a player for us, never had to beat his man just get a half yard in front and get in the early cross, boom goal

Total man love for Neil McCann.

Fantastic Rangers player.

Anyone wants to argue that point with me, well, Mon Then :D

If the defender stood in the wrong position the cross went in. If he stood in the "right" position he just bent it round him. Unplayable on his day.

Awesome player for us and one of the few ex players who says it as it is and sticks up for us at every turn.

Any player that gives his all for our club is always looked on with affection when they leave the club and their religious belief is never ever mentioned by our support. Compare and contrast how the media whores and their Celtic supporting friends always bang on about religion , as we all truly know they are the real bigots and I'm sure the McCann family have unfortunately had to deal with that mhob ever since.

Makes you wish a lot more of our ex players were bit more vocal in defending our corner. Well done Neil....

Great playervand seems a decent guy too and proper football man. Hope the season improves for Dundee until we next play them.

Why does the aggro always come from the other side when we are the so called bigots? I've seen reference to it a few times from players saying that they would get killed or done in if they signed for us, all laughed off as light hearted banter by the scum that pollute the Scottish media.
I know Neil, he is a true gentleman and still supports us

Class act.Thanks for memories at the potato bowl.You certainly got it right up em.

Said it yesterday, but I love Wee McCann.

I think I love him more after humiliating Allan after 38 minutes and giving Ibrox the chance to have a good belly laugh at the expense of the wee rat.

Neil McCann was a big game match winner for Rangers.
He is Rangers history at its very finest.
A hero, who walks into Ibrox with the credentials of a true Ranger.

Neil is a credit to his family, to our club, and to Scottish football.

I enjoyed the win yesterday, the only downside was that it was Neil's team that we defeated.
I wish him well, and to see him succeed and one day re-enter Ibrox to make more history for our club would be simply wonderful.

Reactions: TQ3
Back