New book about Dave Smith written by his son

Had the pleasure of sitting with him before and after the game v the Paedos when Helander scored.
Absolute gent.
He sat and chatted to my 25 year old son about the game.

Was he not Scotlands player of the year
And yet Tommy Docherty wouldn't pick him
He was arguably the best player in Britain in the 71-72 season, and the most consistent.
Tommy Docherty was in charge of Scotland from Oct 71 until Nov 72, with Scotland playing 12 games in that period, and Docherty used 35 different players for those 12 games, and I don't think Smith was ever considered even for the squad.
Despite Rangers being ECWC Champions, Partick Thistle players won more Caps under Docherty than Rangers.

He looked total class with superb skill and vision. Wish there was more footage of his career. The clips from the ECWC run showed that he was as elegant a player as you could ever see.

Was at his debut, think it was against Hibs at Ibrox. Also making his debut that day was his namesake Alex Smith.
Was about to post exact same. In those days, if you were early, you saw players walking into stadium from car park across the road. Remember my Dad pointing out The ‘new signings’ as they headed to main entrance.

I have the book at home,good read, interesting about his time at Berwick Rangers as manager with Willie Mathieson his assistant

Anyone know of any planned Glasgow signings? Would love to get 1 for my dads Christmas from his favourite ever player!
Dave is usually found in the Rolls Royce Club prior to home matches. He has signed a few books in there recently. We play Hibs on the 15th Dec. I do not know for sure that he will be at that game but it is a possibility.

Thought Paul came across very well in the 1972 Documentary.
To my shame I never really knew much about him until the documentary. However, seeing footage and hearing fellow players speak highly of him means I'll be getting a copy of this.

Dave Smith was oustanding for us during those hard times. Took over from Slim Jim. A playmaker and could make a killer pass. Always took responsibility seriously and made the team purr. He was a Ger and proud of it.

Back