Podcast New Heart and Hand out - Identity Crisis

He shouldn’t have been waiting to half time to get them up the park.

He should’ve been screaming on that sideline, telling them to get their fucking shitebag arses up the park. It’s the only reason he’s even there on the sideline.

I swear to fucking god almighty, Beale better not manage another game for us. Get him sacked now. If I see him in the dugout one more time, I’m done for the season.

Bisgrove and Bennett better get on the phone to Souness and beg him to get involved with the club some way and get an experienced manager in the door, whatever the cost.

This simply cannot go on.
Hate comparing the two, but the videos of fat Ange screaming at his players for simply passing the ball back the way is chalk and cheese to Beales brand of football. One wanted to dominate the game and score goals, ours and Gio wanted to hold the ball then boot it up in the air.

He shouldn’t have been waiting to half time to get them up the park.

He should’ve been screaming on that sideline, telling them to get their fucking shitebag arses up the park. It’s the only reason he’s even there on the sideline.

I swear to fucking god almighty, Beale better not manage another game for us. Get him sacked now. If I see him in the dugout one more time, I’m done for the season.

Bisgrove and Bennett better get on the phone to Souness and beg him to get involved with the club some way and get an experienced manager in the door, whatever the cost.

This simply cannot go on.

I was astounded at how mute he was, he may have a plan on paper but he can't maintain it in real time

They’re not going to answer that, plain and simple. You nail it in your answer - anything they say would be parsed for hidden meanings.

Do you think the board are aware of the depth of feeling of the support?

Also, if Livi win the treble you will really have egg on your face!!

Do you think the board are aware of the depth of feeling of the support?

Also, if Livi win the treble you will really have egg on your face!!

They’d have to be either stupid or completely ignorant if they didn’t understand the feeling of the support after the reactions from the stands on Sunday, let’s be honest.

I was astounded at how mute he was, he may have a plan on paper but he can't maintain it in real time

Was discussing it today with my mate. Now I only see the games on TV so dont see the manager unless the TV focus on him, however, when you see him (and read on here) he doesnt look confident and also statuesque.

Thats not a leader, even if they are not confident they should give off that they are, fake it till you make it.

Was discussing it today with my mate. Now I only see the games on TV so dont see the manager unless the TV focus on him, however, when you see him (and read on here) he doesnt look confident and also statuesque.

Thats not a leader, even if they are not confident they should give off that they are, fake it till you make it.

Doesn’t help when you’ve got Christopher Biggins and the other coach, Watling, just sitting back looking at screens.

Beale and the coaching staff will very quickly lose the players if they think they are not up to it. Perhaps they have reached that point already.

Doesn’t help when you’ve got Christopher Biggins and the other coach, Watling, just sitting back looking at screens.

Beale and the coaching staff will very quickly lose the players if they think they are not up to it. Perhaps they have reached that point already.

Too similar, they would work with a harder manager, needs a ying and yang.

Good content as always.

It would just have been great if someone at some point asked outright yesterday why was McGregor given the freedom of Ibrox when last time around the strategy was bang on.

In turn, why was McGregor able to protect a dreadful CB pairing without concern.

In conclusion is this not a clear failing in approach to the game that you can see, in the same way that the entirety of the stadium could from 15 minutes in.

Biggins!? Soaked ma breeks wae that,pmsl

They’re not going to answer that, plain and simple. You nail it in your answer - anything they say would be parsed for hidden meanings.
Out of curiosity mate, is there debate over the manager’s future amongst the H&H group? The lads on the post match yesterday were quite quick to say it wasn’t on the manager whereas most are laying the blame, or majority of it, squarely at his door. Correctly in my opinion.

Just wondered if any of the views from the lads on the post match had maybe changed etc.

I agree with with everything said on the pod. Its a simple decision for Bisgrove this week, take all the emotion out of the situation and fan anger and you have the question will Beale deliver wins in the big games.

On the evidence of the last 10 months it doesn't seem likely and its better to make the call early while its only 4 points.

In among many good points, Andy made two that stuck out for me.

1. The number of 'Beale signings' in the squad is a concern if we are going to change manager. A small example in preseason Cantwell was asked why he joined Rangers and his response was "Mick Beale" - that worries me and it will worry the board.

2. How Beale has managed to go from where we were before the season started to where we are now. It's quite incredible just how monumentally he has got so much wrong in such a short space of time.

Taking MB at his word, when he says the defence was sitting too deep and there was a disconnect between the midfield and attack, then it suggests one of two things. Either he can't get his message across properly or the players aren't buying what he is saying.

Not to the same degree but it does sound similar to Pedro when he was trying to explain what he wanted the team to do.

1. The number of 'Beale signings' in the squad is a concern if we are going to change manager. A small example in preseason Cantwell was asked why he joined Rangers and his response was "Mick Beale" - that worries me and it will worry the board.

2. How Beale has managed to go from where we were before the season started to where we are now. It's quite incredible just how monumentally he has got so much wrong in such a short space of time.
If Cantwell doesn’t want to play for a new manager, he’s free to go back down south. We will recoup our money.

This will end in tears if this chancer is left in charge. His substitutions late on reminded me of Pedro v Motherwell. He’s so far out his depth it’s frightening.

Taking MB at his word, when he says the defence was sitting too deep and there was a disconnect between the midfield and attack, then it suggests one of two things. Either he can't get his message across properly or the players aren't buying what he is saying.

Not to the same degree but it does sound similar to Pedro when he was trying to explain what he wanted the team to do.
While this is true, it is a simple instruction in football terms. Over the last few years you could argue that the same old faces are doing the same old things. A leader at the back would immediately have the defence playing higher as soon as the manager was at them. They would also have been told that prior to the match. We so weak at the back and they are going to cost yet another manager his job.

Part of the identity seems to be waiting til the 60th minute sub no matter the situation, CHs playing it between themselves for large periods and Tav taking every set piece (including throws).

Apart from that, it seems an all round shambles, unorganised with no cohesion.

I caught a snippet of Naismiths interview after the Hearts game and he said something about how they play that struck a chord.

Basically he was pointing out his players were playing safe balls but it just encourages the opposition to come forward, it then puts the player receiving the ball under pressure and then another safe pass and more pressure, etc, etc. Players need to be brave and make the forward pass, pick their heads up and make a forward run, be aggressive. Very good interview (I know boooo Naismith) and totally what happens to us from the back.

If Cantwell doesn’t want to play for a new manager, he’s free to go back down south. We will recoup our money.

This will end in tears if this chancer is left in charge. His substitutions late on reminded me of Pedro v Motherwell. He’s so far out his depth it’s frightening.

I agree on him being out his depth, but Cantwell isn't the only one. I'm saying it's a concern, that's all, it doesn't change me wanting it ended.

He was asked specifically about our long ball tactics and if that was how the team was being instructed to play.

He answered, there was an anxiousness in our play and blamed the back four for sitting too deep. They spoke about it at half time and you could see we were 15-20 yards further up the pitch and whilst we could've created more, we had enough chances to score. Certainly more than Celtic. Factual I suppose but, doesn't really answer the question or begin to tell the story of the game.

Later on he did admit that the connect between midfield and attack wasn't where it should be and that's what we will be working on.
We've been playing this way since 2020. Haha.

It really is quite incredible.

One thing I keep coming back to is that after the amount of games we’ve played, you’d expect any decent pro player to start naturally building an understanding with the players around them – it’s impossible not to. But these guys still look like it’s the first day of preseason, don’t know where they are supposed to be or where their teammates are supposed to be, it’s absolute carnage.

So not only is Beale not improving the football, he’s actually impeding the progress and understanding the players would naturally gain.

I don’t know if that’s because his instructions are unclear or if it’s because he’s constantly changing them. But we had a decent spell against Livingston and thought ‘maybe this is it starting to click’ then it was reset back to zero the next game. Same against Ross County, then back to zero.

His reply to the direct question on Tav was sickening shite

He sacrificed our best player to get tav away with it on Sunday

Nonsense
Absolutely mate. His defense of him sounded like he was talking about Messi ffs. He gave the ball away in an absolutely insane amount of attacks, deflecting the comment back to say "nobody really ran past him today" was absolutely nuts from Beale. He is clearly not being honest in his assessments.

I could understand 1 or 2 signings not hitting the ground running but all 8 have been gash ,Matondo has shown the lot of them up.
We look like we have 11 strangers playing together for the fist time ........every game.

Dead man walking is very true. Lost with no one understanding his game plan, poor ill though out signing policy with the ignoring of defences issues a huge red flag for most. The midfield needed a better shape and the signings never look like they are going to shape well into any system. It will and has killed confidence. Strikers need both defence and mIdfield firing to have any hope of success. All over it's on Beale as his job is to put it all together and the plan whatever it is has failed terribly. The thing that makes it harder to give time also is Celtic are very poor. A miracle run needed and don't see it coming .

Out of curiosity mate, is there debate over the manager’s future amongst the H&H group? The lads on the post match yesterday were quite quick to say it wasn’t on the manager whereas most are laying the blame, or majority of it, squarely at his door. Correctly in my opinion.

Just wondered if any of the views from the lads on the post match had maybe changed etc.

Of course bud, it’s a big group with lots of different opinions. Majority feel way I do but a few feel give him more time.

It really is quite incredible.

One thing I keep coming back to is that after the amount of games we’ve played, you’d expect any decent pro player to start naturally building an understanding with the players around them – it’s impossible not to. But these guys still look like it’s the first day of preseason, don’t know where they are supposed to be or where their teammates are supposed to be, it’s absolute carnage.

So not only is Beale not improving the football, he’s actually impeding the progress and understanding the players would naturally gain.

I don’t know if that’s because his instructions are unclear or if it’s because he’s constantly changing them. But we had a decent spell against Livingston and thought ‘maybe this is it starting to click’ then it was reset back to zero the next game. Same against Ross County, then back to zero.
In 9 games so far we've started with 7 different combinations in midfield and 8 different forward lines. That's why we're looking so disjointed and also indicates the manager has no idea how to use the front 6 positions with the players he has (most of which, he brought in).

On the point about Livingston, we looked at our best in an attacking sense with Sima and Matondo wide of Danilo. I understand that it was late and Sima and Matondo's pace off the bench against a tiring team was a factor but the manager hasn't put them on the pitch together since that game. It's impossible for any of us to say what Beale's plan is because the evidence suggests he doesn't have one.

edit: forgot about 20 minutes in Dingwall where those 3 finished the game.

Has he ever been questioned or answered what his teams identity is supposed to be?
He’d end up having another sad wee dig at FF’s Adam after his last one.

For what it’s worth, I’d rather listen to Adam talk about tactics over Michael Beale every day of the week!

As the pod said, He's lost the fans. We all know where this road leads.

It's a "when" not "if" question now.

There's also the uniquely Rangers problem of waiting for an unmitigated, unrecoverable disaster with no hope of course correction before firing a manager, despite every fan knowing full well it's been over for months.

We're going to wait for a "Coup de Grace" result for the board to actually do anything and we all fear it will be an insipid League Cup defeat to Aberdeen/Killie/St Mirren, at Hampden, in the miserable rain, when the league looks gone instead of after the Kille/PSV/Old Firm disasters.

We don't want a repeat of last season, or the or the Warburton nonsense or especially the Pedro experiment/Murty season. (as an aside, you'd have thought we'd have learned "don't hire the inexperienced assistant" lesson after Pedro, but here we are).

That, to me, is what drove the booing and the discontent at the weekend alongside the disjointed, confused performances we've been watching for a month. The need to send a message to the board that it's over and to start looking for an experienced, competent replacement right now instead of waiting until it's too late and we watch another season with 25 pointless league games.

The roadmap for the remainder of the month is writ. Struggle in Perth, pumped by Betis midweek and an unconvincing win against Motherwell at Ibrox. I'm not even convinced he gets change out of Martindale in the League cup, wouldn't be stunned if we bungled it. Yet we'll trundle on. Went to bed last night hoping I'd wake up a notification from Twitter/X telling me they'd put him and us out our collective misery.

Great Pod, mirrored my mood to a tee and hammered home my own thoughts on the state of play. Just what a mess we are in. I'm still reeling from it. Like Andy said, I cant fathom how he managed to piss away the buzz of the summer inside 9 competitive games. Even the Morton game was grim for fucksake.

Good listen

I think the only manager we’ve had that has turned it around or got us out of a difficult patch was big Eck,

We're going to wait for a "Coup de Grace" result for the board to actually do anything and we all fear it will be an insipid League Cup defeat to Aberdeen/Killie/St Mirren, at Hampden, in the miserable rain, when the league looks gone instead of after the Kille/PSV/Old Firm disasters.
My problem right now is I feel we can win that LC which has evaded us for far too long...IF we jettison this manager. There's no reason a new man can't come in and get a tune out of these players and bring that trophy back to Ibrox. Beale will botch it...i'd put my mortgage on it.

My problem right now is I feel we can win that LC which has evaded us for far too long...IF we jettison this manager. There's no reason a new man can't come in and get a tune out of these players and bring that trophy back to Ibrox. Beale will botch it...i'd put my mortgage on it.
After yesterday, I'm very concerned our LC run is going to end in failure. Sunday followed a blueprint for failure that could very easily be repeated - passive approach first half, inevitable defensive lapse to concede, rally second half but undone by sloppy forward play, run out of steam, dash of corrupt/incompetent officiating. Our name should be on that trophy, but I've pretty much lost faith in Beale's ability to get it right. Will be very happy to be proved wrong, if he is to stay.

Last edited:

Beale was a few ranks down in a management team that failed 6 domestic cup attempts (I may need corrected on that).

He will botch it. This board are losing as much goodwill as he is if they don’t sack him today.

Beale was a few ranks down in a management team that failed 6 domestic cup attempts (I may need corrected on that).

He will botch it. This board are losing as much goodwill as he is if they don’t sack him today.
Strongly suspect something will happen today.

Yesterday was Beales birthday and it wouldn’t have been cricket to do it then.

A player would take about the grand total of 2 minutes to forget a previous manager if you appoint a good one

On a wider point if they didn’t and they are only here because of a manager, who gives a shit if they then leave after the manager, that’s a terrible trait in a player to only have a wish to be at a club because of one manager.

Strongly suspect something will happen today.

Yesterday was Beales birthday and it wouldn’t have been cricket to do it then.

Praying you’re right. I honestly think I’m off CCCS if he’s not gone.

Dividing opinion with my mates but at what point do I take some sort of stand? Been a season ticket and CCCS holder for 17 years, the last 12 we’ve seen rookie after rookie take to the dugout.

Regarding number 1, I don't see that being an issue. Just look at the context behind his signings:

Dessers - relegated with Cremonese and then offered the chance to play European football.

Lammers - career on a downward spiral for 4 years and we throw 3.5m for him.

Danilo - 3rd choice Feyenoord striker

Butland - 3rd choice at Man Utd and offered first team football on a good wage.

Sterling - constantly going on loan to English Championship clubs.

Sima - nowhere near ready to play for Brighton, playing for a lower level Ligue 1 team before we get him on loan.

With the exception of Butland who had a fair bit of interest in him, we don't exactly need to do much convincing to get them to come here based on their club situations.

A player would take about the grand total of 2 minutes to forget a previous manager if you appoint a good one
Precisely. I doubt the squad were pining for Dick Advocaat when Eck came in and won 5 trophies out of 6. Just get the right guy in and things will settle down.

If the board act quickly then they will get a lot of credit in the bank for showing leadership

Agreed mate. They may want to do it before they start whipping money out peoples banks for a European group too.

Can’t imagine going into that with this system, whatever it is.

On a wider point if they didn’t and they are only here because of a manager, who gives a shit if they then leave after the manager, that’s a terrible trait in a player to only have a wish to be at a club because of one manager.
I’m pretty sure Cantwell will be happy to see the back of him. He left him out of our first game of the season, the league cup final last season and this season he has been trying to change his position every week to accommodate other players.

There is no way Cantwell can be happy with any of that.

I think a lot of players may have fell for his chat when signing and must now be realising he isn’t actually a football manager.

If the board act quickly then they will get a lot of credit in the bank for showing leadership
It’s then leaping into the unknown.

Say they do it, there’s not a real experienced head there guiding a search.

What we cannot do is appoint inexperience again. This club hasn’t hired an experienced coach since 2007! Even then that was us looking back the way, in fairness it worked but it’s clearly an exception to the rule with us.

There’ll be plenty interest. We are going to have to pay a very handsome wage, that squad is good enough to do things in my view. It’s all about the right coach, call it elite level, call it what you want.

Hire an experienced coach who has managed at a high level and gotten results, then you get results. Sunday is proof of that sadly, Rodgers had a reserve team level backline and still won.

So when it happens, if it’s now or a few months time, it’s time for this club to loosen the purse strings and get a top manager. No more excuses.

Back