New player suggestions?

Mcburnie you must be joking. Dont think some of our fans realise the severity of the situation. We need far better quality and mcburnie is mediocre at best while Shankland has no sell on value due to his age
Agree about mcburnie . We simply can't be restricted by having no sell on. Will they improve team if so get them in

Yes, we wont buy both. One will be a push, and i hope that's big Abdallah.

Cortes, after this injury, i'm not sure. I like his potential & his desire to get shots on goal, but only if we are confident the injury isn't a long term risk. I'd try for a season long LTB option here.

Hopefully Cordoba & Jefte join. Both good ages & have pace too.

I think we will have a big focus on OOC players & expect at least 2 or 3. Hopefully young athletes with strength & pace but also a Calvin Bassey type mindset. ie a winner. I'd be surprised if we dont get an english premiership guy or two who is/are falling a bit short for that level ?

The only guy in Scotland i'd look at is Lennon Miller.

Miovski is too expensive, if we want Sima, but i expect Clement to buy an athletic & quick striker.
As usual, I rarely disagree with all the points you've made there mate. Only one I'd maybe like us to ask about as also is Watson at Killie.

I do think Barron looks like he has a few levels to go, but if rumors are true he wants to follow Doig and Ferguson to Italy.

As usual, I rarely disagree with all the points you've made there mate. Only one I'd maybe like us to ask about as also is Watson at Killie.

I do think Barron looks like he has a few levels to go, but if rumors are true he wants to follow Doig and Ferguson to Italy.

Yes Cav, it's a close call between Watson & Lennon for me. Watson is older, so more developed, and is a very good young player, no doubt. I just feel that Miller is more physically endowed & in the long term will be more of an athlete, that's why i'd choose him.

Reactions: cav
I'd add Gogic to that as he's a tough uncompromising defender which is something we've been missing for some time. I don't think he'd be particularly expensive either.
McMann and Gogic as out
Centre back pairing is just not worth laughing or joking about

Could do worse than boost the squad with a few of the better spl players:
Dundee: Luke McCowan, Lyall Cameron
Aberdeen: Miovski, Baaron, Clarkson
Kilmarnock: Watson, Armstrong
Motherwell: Lennon Miller
Hearts: Shankland, Cochrane

From spfl:
Miller MF
Watson MF
Shankland ST
Barron MF
Armstrong RW

Elsewhere:
Hwang in beom MF
Cho gue sung ST
Cordoba CB
Jefte LB
Piotrowski MF
Podence RW
Tanganga CB
Bella kotchap CB
De wit AM
Denkey ST
Mofokeng LW
Sarr CB
Bodart GK
Johnson RB
Carmo CB

From spfl:
Miller MF
Watson MF
Shankland ST
Barron MF
Armstrong RW

Elsewhere:
Hwang in beom MF
Cho gue sung ST
Cordoba CB
Jefte LB
Piotrowski MF
Podence RW
Tanganga CB
Bella kotchap CB
De wit AM
Denkey ST
Mofokeng LW
Sarr CB
Bodart GK
Johnson RB
Carmo CB
I think Podence and Johnson wages wise may be an issue unfortunately, as much as I'd love both.

I dont have specific names but without being simplistic, we need to start with a spine of the side. Depending on whether Butland stays or not, GK, CB, CM,CF. Any good side has that. Across the city being an example. Strong, physical defenders, creative in midfield and a proper out and out number 9. Then build round that. But first we have to punt a fair few, assuming theirs buyers and of course people leaving out of contract. I'd be happy with Diomande and Sterling in midfield but with someone else much more creative. Cantwell and Lawrence just arent of a high enough standard.

This won’t be a popular view and I’m expecting to get shot down pretty quick but if it were me I’d try my best to keep Butland,Sterling even big Dessers, Cortes, Ridvan, Raskin and instead of trying to rebuild a whole team use what cash we have and improve positions like the defence and central midfield and build from there.

If we have to I’d sell one or two for some funds, the wages we will free up from the out of contract should give us some room to spend a bit.

We can’t rebuild every season, we have to start getting quality in the team and that will cost money we don’t have. Do it a bit at a time and do it right this time.

Coaching has to improve as well, the players I’ve named are young or at least early on in their careers so why can’t they be coached to improve. There’s not many players come to us and get better.

I wonder if Tav went whether it might be worth taking Nathan Patterson on loan. He's had a nightmare at Everton and doesn't seem to fit into Dyche's plans. A move to us might help him, might help Everton and could be good for us. He has all the attributes to be a top player and if he recaptured his form and was back from injury, would be an asset. I appreciate there's quite. a few 'ifs' there!

As above until we know who we can actually get rid of it's a difficult question to answer. Everybody seems to think all the players will just head off to other teams but who would want them?
We might need to take a hit on some of them. The OOC buys are a no brainer, thats money off the wage bill anyway. I think we’ll get our money back for Lammers so it’s the one’s with a year or so left that will be the problem.

1. Release all OOC players. That’s 6 players off the wage bill.
2. Sell Lammers and Cifuentes for similar to we paid for him - that should be possible!
3. State that Goldson and Tav are up for sale and for free. There’s no way no one out there will come in for them if there is no price tag!
4. Negotiate an early release on Lawrence and Wright. If they are told they won’t even be on the reserves at their age I would expect them to accept.
5. Let the 3 loan players return.
6. Try and see if teams in England may be interested in Davies or Matondo for a couple of £m.
7. Listen to any decent bids for Yilmaz, Raskin, Hagi, Cantwell, Dessers.
8. Last resort sell Butland!

1-4 above are just general housekeeping and clearing the deadwood and even after pay offs will free up around £150k - £200k per week. Whatever our transfer budget is then we use that to replace the players in 1-4 as a priority (four or five quality players should do it). Then depending on what we get for 5-8 we need to use that to reinvest back in the position - ie one out, one in!

Everyone keeps saying “where is the money for a complete new team coming from”. Well we don’t need a complete new team. If we do 1,2,3 and 4 above we could have a team of

Butland
Sterling New New Yilmaz
Diamonde New Cantwell
Matondo Danilo New

McRorie, Souttar, New RB, New LB, Raskin, Dessers, McCausland, New Winger, New Striker

That’s 4 quality new players for the first team, 2 back up full backs (could be loans) and then a striker and a winger who can come off the bench and change a game (again could be loans!). 8 players in and if the quality of the four first team newcomers are good enough then that accounts for the 10 in total that we gut from the team.

OUT:
McLaughlin - doesn’t need replaced.
Balogun - needs replaced.
Lundstram - needs replaced.
Tav - ready made replacement in Sterling.
Goldson - needs replaced.
Jack - doesn’t need replaced.
Roofe - doesn’t need replaced.
Wright - doesn’t need replaced.
Lawrence - doesn’t need replaced.
Lammers - doesn’t need replaced.
Cifuentes - doesn’t need replaced.
Silva - needs replaced.
Sima - needs replaced.
Silva - needs replaced

It’s not as scary when you look at it like that!

Cameron and McCowan at Dundee could be good hard working players that don’t command the type of fee and wages that half our injured squad that came from mid range English teams demand.
They also have very good right sided defender/midfielder Josh Mulligan is the name 21 year old, the irony of it is he has been out injured for a bit but back around now I think.

Miovski, not sure I believe all the hype about the figure being quoted for him. However I would offer the Sheep at most £6 Million + Alex Lowry.

I'd also be speaking to Brighton about a couple of loan deals, one potentially for the return of Sima but the other one I'd enquiry about would be Denis Undaz (only draw back with him his current club that he is on loan to, Stuttgart have qualified for the Champions League) C'mon David Weir do us a wee favour!

Andreas Schjelderup, has lost his way since going to Benfica but a player with enormous potential. A wide player who scores goas.

Another player who maybe available and is Scottish is Josh Doig, Sassuolo in relegation zone and Doig could be available following relegation.

Apart from Miovski from the SPL I'd suggest Connor Barron from Aberdeen and Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock. Lennon Miller and Dave Watson are also young talents.

Central defence and central midfield are key positions to strengthen with MUCH better quality. Don't know much about Cordoba but will wait and see how that progresses.

I'd be surprised if we aren't looking at players potentially from Belgium, Holland. A player that has caught the eye for me is Yankuba Minteh at Feyenoord on loan from Newcastle, not saying we should buy him but perhaps Newcastle may seek to loan him out again! Also Zian Flemming from Millwall would add goals from midfield, hasn't been as prolific in the last season as previous, but always looks a goal threat (price however will likely be an issue)

I like a few suggestions from "RJC RFC X2" Hwang in Beom is a workhorse in midfield, Denkey has had a wonderful season but price maybe out of reach, Ben Johnson from West Ham would do well but wages are questionable.

Florinel Coman and Octavian Popescu are good shouts form a previous poster in this thread as well.

Players out of contract, some might not be in the budget however - Che Adams, Kelechi Iheanacho, Yusuf Yazici, Michy Batshuayi, Mady Camara, Luka Jovic.

Last edited:
The suggestion of us spending anything close to £7m on anyone seems mental in my opinion. After the last two summers, we need to prove we are getting value out of our spending in the £2-4m range before we sanction anything higher. I'm not saying we should never spend above £2m, but there's plenty evidence that you can find players capable of excelling in Scotland without spending lots of money.
I’ve mentioned this on another thread, but £7m should be the offer, at most, for Miovski and Connor Barron from Aberdeen. A double deal. Or £5m plus Scott Wright back. :)

Miovski, not sure I believe all the hype about the figure being quoted for him. However I would offer the Sheep at most £6 Million + Alex Lowry.

I'd also be speaking to Brighton about a couple of loan deals, one potentially for the return of Sima but the other one I'd enquiry about would be Denis Undaz (only draw back with him his current club that he is on loan to, Stuttgart have qualified for the Champions League) C'mon David Weir do us a wee favour!

Andreas Schjelderup, has lost his way since going to Benfica but a player with enormous potential. A wide player who scores goas.

Another player who maybe available and is Scottish is Josh Doig, Sassuolo in relegation zone and Doig could be available following relegation.

Apart from Miovski from the SPL I'd suggest Connor Barron from Aberdeen and Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock. Lennon Miller and Dave Watson are also young talents.

Central defence and central midfield are key positions to strengthen with MUCH better quality. Don't know much about Cordoba but will wait and see how that progresses.

I'd be surprised if we aren't looking at players potentially from Belgium, Holland. A player that has caught the eye for me is Yankuba Minteh at Feyenoord on loan from Newcastle, not saying we should buy him but perhaps Newcastle may seek to loan him out again! Also Zian Flemming from Millwall would add goals from midfield, hasn't been as prolific in the last season as previous, but always looks a goal threat (price however will likely be an issue)

I like a few suggestions from "RJC RFC X2" Hwang in Beom is a workhorse in midfield, Denkey has had a wonderful season but price maybe out of reach, Ben Johnson from West Ham would do well but wages are questionable.

Players out of contract, some might not be in the budget however - Che Adams, Kelechi Iheanacho, Yusuf Yazici, Michy Batshuayi, Mady Camara, Luka Jovic.
I love Millwall and Flemming is a brilliant player. I’d take him and Billy Mitchell.

Back