New TV deal

Are Sky trying to lock down content, yes, on the cheap, yes again. Look around and see what is going on, Sky is Comcast, BT Sport is a joint venture with Discovery (which is also a tied up with Warner Brothers/HBO And Eurosport). These companies rely on their broadcast income to survive and they are up against Apple and Amazon, primarily in the USA but looking global.

Apple have bought baseball, NFL (in the process) and MLS to add to their platforms, do they need to show a profit, no, all they want to do is tie you in to their platform. They can lose money on the rights, providing you sign up for an Apple one account.

Amazon is doing the same, limited EPL coverage, tennis and now Champions League, so you may find the Rangers games in the Champions League need a BT/Discovery subscription and a Prime subscription next year. Do they have to make a profit, no, just as long as you pay for Prime.

The big tech players have the money, and they are not reliant on advertisers or broadcast subscriptions, so are the SPFL really doing a good job with this deal? No, keep the powder dry and hold for the new age owing where there is more money awaiting.

Only fly in the ointment is ESPN/Disney which currently is tied up with BT Sport/Discovery which takes a big player out of the game. Ok those beers are going down too fast.

Because rangers wouldn’t want it, 13 euros a month so 130 euros for a 1 season where you could watch all 18 rangers home games, why byput a season ticket? Just invite your 3 mates that also own a season ticket to come round and watch all our games….
the people who watch on dodgy streams will always do that. the 50k attending Ibrox would still be there. this was proven in the last couple years when streaming was available for home games.

Correct. How many people take out a sky contract to get access to Scottish football, not many. How many would cancel a sky contract if they didn’t have Scottish football, not many
I obviously buck the trend, I have had sky since the B sky b days, I have never watched a game that didn’t have Rangers playing, I live in England and couldn’t give a flying fart about the Premiership.

You wonder who leaked the story?

I would imagine a lot of the clubs are not happy with the proposal. I would like to hope given the hard work we have done in grown our commercial revenue that we are going to turn this crap down.

It reminds me of when FIFA sold 2 World Cups together to Russia and Qatar. Blatant!

And also when Cnut Charles Green and Imran Cunnt Ahmed signed us up to Sports Fukers Direct with 7 year get out clause. It's that Obvious.

Any competent organisation would negotiate with multiple parties. When you consider the spfl track record I very much doubt that will happen.

They should also explore an in house subscription service. Do best and worst case forecasts for this scenario, this will at least give an idea of its true value.

Because rangers wouldn’t want it, 13 euros a month so 130 euros for a 1 season where you could watch all 18 rangers home games, why byput a season ticket? Just invite your 3 mates that also own a season ticket to come round and watch all our games….
You can't really compare the two. They're a very different experience.

Also, consder we have a season ticket waiting list and people who would like to watch all the home games but can't make it to Ibrox off various reasons.

You might be right but given how little we'd lose, I don't see why this is isn't worth taking a punt on.

You can't really compare the two. They're a very different experience.

Also, consder we have a season ticket waiting list and people who would like to watch all the home games but can't make it to Ibrox off various reasons.

You might be right but given how little we'd lose, I don't see why this is isn't worth taking a punt on.
We would lose a lot, rangers and Celtic demanded a clause in the current deals to only allow 5 televised games per ground per season, we done it to make sure tv didn’t show all our home games and stop fans buying season tickets. To change the rule we made sure a vote of 11 teams was needed, effectively us and the filth are stopping clubs changing the rule.

we do not want all our home games on tv

Was only a 3pm because they didnt move it for sky to show it. I personally think all games should be 3p on a Saturday, sky show the game they want and thats it.

However, they show their contempt for the game by not fulfilling their quota. We will have away games that arent on TV and that will force people to illegal streams. But thats up to sky.
I wouldn’t be a fan of all games being at the same time. You’d hardly be able to watch any football.

There's plenty of kick off slots across a weekend even if you move all games away from the Saturday 3pm slot.

A dedicated streaming service that supporters subscribe to could be a real money maker if done properly.

- Get rid of Saturday 3pm blackout
- Staggered kick off times over the weekend for featured matches
- Rebrand to SPL as that's what everyone still calls it
- Restructure the leagues (Bigger leagues, B Teams in structure)
- Ad revenue for live matches
- Free content (highlights, occasional match) to get people signed up who will possibly subscribe
- Magazine show
- Live matches from lower leagues during international breaks
- Season / Monthly / pay per view options available
- Global market to sell to
- Historical matches

Other revenue generating options could be

- Buying rights to European qualifiers to sell as pay per view
- Showing club friendlies so there is off season content
- Buying Scottish Cup rights
- Buying Scotland national team rights

Potential problems are the obvious increased costs involved in setting up and running this, which could hopefully be offset by subscriptions and live match ad revenue, especially with premium matches like Old Firms likely to have a high number of viewers. And if too many people choose the monthly option then the income will be spread over the year rather than up front.

Back