Next Years Champions League Money

GreigC

As if we didn't know the importance of winning the league already, Scotlands Coefficient on X has just put together a post about the newly confirmed money distribution for the new format Champions League (and the Europa and Conference League)

Simply put, we're looking at somewhere around €40m even if we end up as the worst side in the competition again

The difference from the top table down next year is ever more staggering than before

Thats also before counting ticket revenue as well.

I expect we will gain points if we are in it. It's roughly €1m per point prize money.

We might all believe that Europa League is our level, and gives us the best chance of European football after Christmas each season. But we absolutely need to shoot for CL football every season. Financially we are still struggling to get going, and that’s been felt in each of the recent transfer windows.

The momentum CL money would give us is of paramount importance.

Although I love the Europa league and it’s definitely our lvl the cash on offer in the champions league is a game changer, & it’s vital we win the league & get us into the competition.

The CL is arguably not our level, but it will never become our level unless we are regularly playing in it and building up money from it.

An SPFL side with CL money is clearly still not going to be able to compete with an EPL side with CL money, a Bundesliga side with CL money or a La Liga side with CL money. I get that. I'm not saying we're ever going to win the trophy, sadly.

But do I believe we have an expectation to be among Europe's top 36 clubs each season? Yes, absolutely.

EPL sides can only have so many players on their books. They can't sign literally every player in Europe who shows a bit of promise. That's why it's important for us to become CL regulars, build up some money and invest in our scouting network.

It's harder for us to sign new talent, but not impossible. We know we won't hang on to them forever, but if they can help us play in the CL and win a few titles before moving on and turning us a profit, then that is our goal.

Imperative we win the league. Hugely reduces their revenue with compensation claims coming and hugely increases ours. We need to build a team with a chance of getting by the qualifying stages each year in Europe as automatic qualification lost after this season.

Imperative we win the league. Hugely reduces their revenue with compensation claims coming and hugely increases ours. We need to build a team with a chance of getting by the qualifying stages each year in Europe as automatic qualification lost after this season.
In order to hold on to our place, as in Rangers, not Scotland, then we need to continue to keep qualifying out of the group stage. That gives a yearly chance of automatic qualification whether 1st or 2nd. In terms of the new format that means finishing within the top 24 teams. As for qualifying next season, if we finish 2nd, then currently only Benfica can stop us from qualifying automatically through the additional highest coefficient place. Even if that is the case we would then be the highest seeds in qualifying and have the bonus of not having to beat any of the big 3 Dutch teams in order to qualify as Ajax are nowhere near 3rd and the top 2 are well clear. I've a strong feeling we will be in the CL pots next season no matter which route we end up taking there.

This is what's behind the refs, they know what's at stake.
Lhiewell will have had them briefed.
Why didn’t he have them briefed the season we won 55 and they were going for 10 in a row?

That season we never conceded a penalty or had a player sent off until after the league was won, meanwhile they did.

Why didn’t he have them briefed the season we won 55 and they were going for 10 in a row?

That season we never conceded a penalty or had a player sent off until after the league was won, meanwhile they did.
No amount of ref help would have been any good for them that season. Fact of the matter is they imploded thanks to Lennon and were a complete and utter shambles, so much so in my near 60 years of watching Scottish fitba, they were early 1990s shambles, never seen them so bad in my puff.

According to that we would earn around €8m more than celtic if we both get in. That could be more depending on our actual position on the ranking as well.

Beat me to starting a thread Greig.

The work the guys done here is commendable.

Its a very encouraging total.

However, its a kick to delete the 10 year concept just as we are about to crush that.

A further kick that coefficient points are now weighted by competition.

But. A 43 million euro starting fee before playing a game is nuts.

A kick in the other direction will be Scotland TV market flipping up the way due to various factors.

Beat me to starting a thread Greig.

The work the guys done here is commendable.

Its a very encouraging total.

However, its a kick to delete the 10 year concept just as we are about to crush that.

A further kick that coefficient points are now weighted by competition.

But. A 43 million euro starting fee before playing a game is nuts.

A kick in the other direction will be Scotland TV market flipping up the way due to various factors.
I think he guessing a little at the UK share though is complex

But he's also guessing 9 points qualify you for knockout round which I suppose with 8 games is possible 2 wins 3 draws 3 loses

12 points to be in the top half of the knockouts

4 home 4 away games you actually never know 2 pot 4 teams and 2 pot 3 teams

But even at that your trailing 50 mill

Back