Nick Walsh and his “impressive” celtic record.

You mean Nick Walsh that Celtic director Ian Bankier has issues with made it personal about at a Celtic AGM!

I remember the uproar in the press, and the SFA making a public statement about the referees safety. :rolleyes:

Refs should be monitored on their bookings to fouls ratios. It would make very interesting reading.
This is where the real scandal is
I read somewhere that the
The SPFL pretty much sits like this
Celtic - 1 Yellow card per 17-19 fouls
Us - 1 per 10 fouls
Aberdeen - 1 per 8
Hibs - 1 per 8
Hearts - 1 per 7
Right down to Livi and St J on 1 per 4 fouls

Celtic have the highest ratio in European domestic football

HOWEVER
What is really interesting when you factor our top 5 teams in European competition….
Every single team is between 4 and 5 fouls per booking
This season I believe Celtic were 1 booking for every 4 fouls in Europe. Why the massive discrepancy? A few fouls you can understand but 300% increase in the SPFL beggars (sic) belief

Surprised no journo has picked this up
LikeBillLeckie?

He is no friend of ours, but the great unwashed peddle the myth that he is one of us
They won that particular battle (among others) a long time ago. Now, if we complain, we're perceived to be bitter and bad losers. They have done us big time.

I'm not really certain what those stats show. They are a side that should be winning every game they play except against us. I would guess pretty much every ref will have similar results for both us and them, particularly more recently.
Agreed

You need the context. Like this recent Hibs game where he has had 4 penalty decisions to make and given all 4 in Celtic's favour (Celtic 2 penalties awarded. Hibs 2 penalties denied). At least one of Celtic's pens is highly questionable, and letter of the law the foul on the Hibs boy is typically awarded these days.

It's the context that matters, not just what or how many decisions were taken. Is the correct decision being made more often that not.

With Walsh, the numbers plus the context paints an ugly picture.

Edit: also see post 61

Last edited:
You mean Nick Walsh that Celtic director Ian Bankier has issues with made it personal about at a Celtic AGM!

Yes.

Their entire fan base think Clancy is pro Rangers too.

Bookings to yellow ratio with referees would be far more interesting to see.

I'm far too lazy to do it myself.
It's been done many times over many season recently

Typically:
- they are an outlier for the rest of the league. Every other club will be in a narrow range for fouls per booking. Celtic will be the one outlier on the lenient side.
- Celtic's fouls per card ratio will be way out of step with any club in any major league around Europe. Including other teams who are highly successful in their league or dominate most games.
- Celtic's domestic fouls per card ratio in Europe will be 'normal' for what is seen for most clubs in their domestic league, yet in European games Celtic's fouls per card ratio will magically jump to be in line with what is seen for all other clubs around Europe.
- Rangers will not see a magic jump in their fouls per card ratio in Europe compared to the league.

Collectively, what does this suggest...

Refs should be monitored on their bookings to fouls ratios. It would make very interesting reading.
Us - 1 per 10 fouls
Aberdeen - 1 per 8
Hibs - 1 per 8
Hearts - 1 per 7

HOWEVER
What is really interesting when you factor our top 5 teams in European competition….
This season I believe Celtic were 1 booking for every 4 fouls in Europe. Why the massive discrepancy? A few fouls you can understand but 300% increase in the SPFL beggars (sic) belief

Yep.

Such stats have been posted at various times across different seasons on here for the last 4 or 5 years and the same patterns seem to nearly always crop up.

People are right to question such numbers over a small number of games.

But when you start to look at it for an entire league of teams, or between league and European football, or comparing sides who dominate possession across multiple domestic leagues, the power of the statistics is clearly there.

No one in media wants to discuss this glaring anomaly because of who the beneficiaries are.

I know this is not about Walsh more about referees in general
Would be interesting to know the fouls given /against. Easy to stop a teams attacking play by pulling the play back by giving a foul (allowing the opposition to get players back) or play advantage when it suits.

I’ve said regularly would be interesting to see Scott brown’s European card record compared to domestically

Typically:
- they are an outlier for the rest of the league. Every other club will be in a narrow range for fouls per booking. Celtic will be the one outlier on the lenient side.
- Celtic's fouls per card ratio will be way out of step with any club in any major league around Europe. Including other teams who are highly successful in their league or dominate most games.
- Celtic's domestic fouls per card ratio in Europe will be 'normal' for what is seen for most clubs in their domestic league, yet in European games Celtic's fouls per card ratio will magically jump to be in line with what is seen for all other clubs around Europe.
- Rangers will not see a magic jump in their fouls per card ratio in Europe compared to the league.

It's not just the number of yellow cards, it's when they get them. Looked into this last season and when they do pick up yellows, it tends to be much later in games (no doubt because they get away with more before finally being booked as you suggest), so players aren't walking the tightrope of being one more foul away from a red for much of the game. That said, as we saw in the New Year game, they tend not to get second yellows anyway.

Stats might well be because the refs do not yellow card them for fouls but do other teams and us for less. Refs stats suggests Celtic get off very lightly. Chicken and scrambled egg situation
I'd prefer to see stats for minutes booked during games.
Refs have a habit of throwing out a couple of bookings to them in the 85-90th minutes just to bring the average up.

They could get 4 bookings and have players booked for a total of under 20 minutes in a game.
Where as refs sometimes appear to rush to book Goldson or Balogun in the opening 10 mins meaning that one booked player is walking a tightrope for 80 mins.

Last edited:

Typically:

Has anyone done individual referee stats?

Nick Walsh has refereed 4 Celtic games this season. He has awarded them 4 penalties and denied their opposition 4.

A penalty he awarded for Celtic earlier this season.

A penalty he failed to give against Celtic

The one at Easter Rd is 100% on VAR mate.

The way Boyle threw himself down made it near impossible for the on field ref to give that. I certainly thought it was an out and out dive in real time watching it.

Whoever was on VAR that night with the benefit of replays is the one who called it wrong.

Us - 1 per 10 fouls
Aberdeen - 1 per 8
Hibs - 1 per 8
Hearts - 1 per 7

HOWEVER

I’m not surprised, most “journalists” are nothing of the sort. Paid propagandists. Imagine coming out with an “official media club partner” that isn’t run buy fan media. They’re totally open and brazen about it. You can’t have a neutral relationship with an official media club partner. Like political and entertainment media, the general media in Scotland is Celtic access media.

Typically:

I’ve been saying for a few years, the way refs treat us in Scotland has helped us in Europe because we are reffed very harshly at home. The opposite is true for them and they’ve even admitted it.

Walsh is 100% a Celtic supporter.
I know his best pal (another ref).
He had a ST for Parkhead until he was grade 1. His dad still has one. He's been to see Celtic last season, with his partner, when he didn't have a game
He's 100% a celtic fan. but that's not true about his dad. Grew up with him played football most Saturdays but when off he went to there games.

Bankier doing a bit of deflection for the Bheast with the whistle perhaps

You can pull him up on his performance but not on the shocking stat that Celtic win the majority of their games

I thought it was common knowledge he was a celtic fan and has even attended games when not officiating. His father holds a season ticket

I'm not really certain what those stats show. They are a side that should be winning every game they play except against us. I would guess pretty much every ref will have similar results for both us and them, particularly more recently.
Exactly.

Current league form is 76% winning.

No idea what it is over the period the OP refers to. Won’t be far off 80% at least.

Happy to look at stats but not sure the OP’s comments help the arguments about dreadful refereeing.

Better to highlight inconsistency in and between games.

Us - 1 per 10 fouls
Aberdeen - 1 per 8
Hibs - 1 per 8
Hearts - 1 per 7

HOWEVER

This is proof positive of cheating by Scottish referees. Why can't our club ask about this?

Exactly.

Current league form is 76% winning.

No idea what it is over the period the OP refers to. Won’t be far off 80% at least.

Happy to look at stats but not sure the OP’s comments help the arguments about dreadful refereeing.

Better to highlight inconsistency in and between games.
See post 16 to help your understanding

Apparently Celtic have only lost 1 of the 32 games Nick Walsh has refereed of theirs.

Our 4-1 win in the meaningless game at Ibrox in May 2021 as we had won the league about 10 weeks previously, and in front of no fans.

Some stats that 27 wins (84.4%), 4 draws, 1 defeat (3.1%) 90 goals for, 25 against.

He has awarded them 8 penalties, or 1 every 4 games too.

I‘ve not checked thoroughly but do know he has been in charge of at least 5 draws and 5 defeats for us, with 3 of the defeats v celtic.
Had a look it’s 42 games 32 wins 5 draws 5 losses
Apparently Celtic have only lost 1 of the 32 games Nick Walsh has refereed of theirs.

Our 4-1 win in the meaningless game at Ibrox in May 2021 as we had won the league about 10 weeks previously, and in front of no fans.

Some stats that 27 wins (84.4%), 4 draws, 1 defeat (3.1%) 90 goals for, 25 against.

He has awarded them 8 penalties, or 1 every 4 games too.

I‘ve not checked thoroughly but do know he has been in charge of at least 5 draws and 5 defeats for us, with 3 of the defeats v celtic.
It’s 42 games 32 wins 5 draws 5 defeats not sure penalties

Been reading all these “allegations” laid against Walsh and how he’s one of them, how he went to one of these divisive schools and openly supported celtic, how he used to be draped in their gear when he played 5’s, how he was at parkhead to watch them as recently as last season etc etc.

To be honest, it just comes across as disgruntled fans of biggest rivals trying to find reasons to explain why they’re not getting the better of their opponents. Howling in the wind with nobody but themselves listening whilst everyone else points and laughs at them.

The ONLY way to change that is with evidence. All those that are saying this and that about him, get the evidence out there instead of greeting on a message board. Where’s the pictures from school? Where’s the pictures from the 5’s? And especially, where’s the pictures from his visits to parkhead?

The only way it’ll ever change is by getting the evidence/proof out there.

Had a look it’s 42 games 32 wins 5 draws 5 losses

It’s 42 games 32 wins 5 draws 5 defeats not sure penalties

42 games 32 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats. 5 defeats were Hamilton 19/20, Tims 4-0 Sheep 2-0 and tims 2-1 league cup final 22/23. This season its tims away in the 2-1 defeat.

- 66 yellows to our players 106 to opposition.
- 12 penalties for to 2 against
- 2 red cards to our players and 7 to the opposition.
- 4 Derby games 16 yellows for them 12 for us and 1 red each.

Last edited:
He’s put in some shift since the 30th of December OF game.

Remove his influence from the OF and last weeks scandal at Easter Road and we would already be ahead in the league.

This season alone he has refereed an OF game and their trips to Tynecastle and Easter Road. 3 of their toughest games on paper and he’s given several scandalous decisions in their favour in every one of them.

He’ll be the man to look out for after the split should we still be neck and neck.

He's 100% a celtic fan. but that's not true about his dad. Grew up with him played football most Saturdays but when off he went to there games.
I've been told a few times from someone very close that his dad still has STs. And the person I know has attended a celtic game with Walsh, and his partner, in the last 2 years. Lisbon Lions upper.

The more people dig and find these stats the more you see how much of an uphill struggle Scottish football is for Rangers
Or the more people will convince themselves that the stats conform their bias. They have dominated the league for all but one season in the last 12 years, during that period they have rarely lost. It will be a rarity to find any referee who has overseen more than one or two losses for them in that time simply because they haven't lost many games.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Complete moonhowling conspiracy theory. There are much worse refs out there than Walsh - Clancy, Collum, McClean, Robertson to name but 4. Their record under Walsh is because they have won practically every game they have needed to in the time he's been refereeing. As with all the other refs. And that's because they have usually been much better than everyone else (for whatever reason). Time to concentrate on winning on the park and calling out the real cheats (above) when they do it moving forward.

It's not just the number of yellow cards, it's when they get them. Looked into this last season and when they do pick up yellows, it tends to be much later in games (no doubt because they get away with more before finally being booked as you suggest), so players aren't walking the tightrope of being one more foul away from a red for much of the game. That said, as we saw in the New Year game, they tend not to get second yellows anyway.
I was actually looking at some detailed stats last week and saw that, since the start of 16/17 season, 40% of their games at home see no cards given to them at all

He was also on VAR when Morelos got a goal disallowed for next to fùck all there last season.
That's the important stats, these cunts are born deviant, and will use every single opportunity they get to adhere to their pay masters.

The only way forward is to use foreign referees, who have no allegiences and don't openly cheat like the 19th Century Terrorist cabal currently in place.

Complete moonhowling conspiracy theory. There are much worse refs out there than Walsh - Clancy, Collum, McClean, Robertson to name but 4. Their record under Walsh is because they have won practically every game they have needed to in the time he's been refereeing. As with all the other refs. And that's because they have usually been much better than everyone else (for whatever reason). Time to concentrate on winning on the park and calling out the real cheats (above) when they do it moving forward.
I have watched Walsh referee many Celtic games, he regularly makes inexplicable big decisions in their favour

7 yellows at the Piggery in December Johnstone should have been off twice also Bernardo should have walked,add in the VAR episode the facts are glaringly obvious to how they are being officiated.

Hardly an outlier from what their normal results are.

So many people acting like them nowadays. It's embarrassing.
I doubt any tims are moaning about refs nowadays, tim media supports them 100 per cent.... what do they have to moan about they get everything in every single fixture ? the 90s was long long time ago.

I have no problem with others views but the tim position would be similar to yours and others that believe we should ignore their behaviour or decisions and just accept bias every single weekend.

He is a very good ref, he is by far our best ref, but due to the pressure he has been incredibly biased towards Celtic recently i am sure it was Andy Walker that suggested his performance v Livi was a joke, he was so terrified of upsetting them. I would add that at least Walsh has made the effort to be fair at times and hopefully will be again, this is something you wont see from a ref like McLean for example.

Last edited:
Back