Niko Katic insists he’d still be at Ibrox under top coach Michael Beale

Players in the last few days are certainly not shedding a good light on GVBs man management

Was fairly evident he lost the dress room very early on this season. I like Katic and we'll always have his bullet header at the glitter dome but we've progressed past him. He still wouldn't get minutes for us under Beale and would still have been moved on.

Katic may well have been a good option when we were shoving midfielders into defence.

Domestically definitely but our injuries causing us to play midfielders in defence were mostly under Gio and Gio didnt rate him. Since Beale has come in hes had Goldson and Davies as a settled back pairing. Katic wouldn't make the bench if he was still here now.

Players in the last few days are certainly not shedding a good light on GVBs man management
What else was said?

Obviously the fashion jr and Katic thing. Gio seems to not have been the best man manager for sure. Still feels crazy that Gio wanted rid of Fashion and fair play to the guy for saying No I'm staying and he's making the most out of it. Heard someone on SSB the other day saying he'll be our most important player on Sunday and I honestly find it hard to disagree with that. He's not the best, but he's important.

I don't think Katic would have been a bad backup choice but now, I'm not sure he'd be in our starting 11. Was good in the air though.

In the context of what he is actually saying he is right to say it would have been worth kicking about

he would have been at least on the bench for the Final this Sunday, if anything happens with either CB this week we will likely end up with Sands there

Good guy but not good enough to play for us
Thank you Niko now move on lad

Definitely was good enough. Just needed time to recover and play in a settled side.

Davies is much better on the ball etc but most of the goals we concede are because we don't have anyone brave enough to really win a dirty header.

would still be 3rd choice now and play his fair share.

I think Davies would still be ahead of him but he would've been better than Sands or King at the time of the injuries we sustained.

I really don't think Gio gave him a fair chance after his injury. Same as Gio never gave Sakala a fair crack either.

Gio gave us some memorable nights that will live on for us fans for the rest of our time, but he done a lot of damage to our team, our morale, our fitness, our shape, our mentality. In wider terms he was a bit of a disaster for us. You see Tillman making comments as well and Tillman was playing under Gio so this is not sour grapes, he was too defensive, showed too much respect Celtic, tried to be Ange's buddy.

I want all our players to think of them as that other mob. I want that nastiness and arrogance back, especially in old firm games like we had under Gerrard. We were never push overs, we never bottled it and rolled over. I am hoping Beale has the team back with that same type of mentality, even in that last old firm we were so depleted still with injuries and guys who were just back or playing through an injury and we out played them, had the better chances just some slackness in concentration and our fitness levels were still not there.

I did not understand the decision to let Balogun go. Katic there's an argument for due to injury risk but to me he looked decent whenever he played.

What else was said?

Obviously the fashion jr and Katic thing. Gio seems to not have been the best man manager for sure. Still feels crazy that Gio wanted rid of Fashion and fair play to the guy for saying No I'm staying and he's making the most out of it. Heard someone on SSB the other day saying he'll be our most important player on Sunday and I honestly find it hard to disagree with that. He's not the best, but he's important.

I don't think Katic would have been a bad backup choice but now, I'm not sure he'd be in our starting 11. Was good in the air though.

Fashion, Borna are the first to that come to mind but a few others have said very diplomaticly that everything from training and moral hasn’t good under Gio.

Regarding Katic. He was going as his style isn’t what we need.

Not really a fan of ex-players piping up in the press to slag off a manager once they've been sacked, knowing full well GVB won't be taking the opportunity to defend himself or have right of reply.

Perhaps Mr Katic needs to have a bit of humility and realise his own limitations first.

Not really a fan of ex-players piping up in the press to slag off a manager once they've been sacked, knowing full well GVB won't be taking the opportunity to defend himself or have right of reply.

Perhaps Mr Katic needs to have a bit of humility and realise his own limitations first.
He doesn’t slag off Gio at any point though really.

Did a job when he first came in but we’ve progressed well beyond his level now.

Comes across quite bitter with those comments. Not a great look.

Let it go Niko.
See the way Derek Ferguson has blamed Graeme Souness for Ferguson not fulfilling his potential at Ibrox for the last 30 years….

Katic did well for us over a period but needs to get on with his own career now.
Although I’m sure he will be on the ex-player circuit in 20yrs from now. Clearly enjoyed his time, clearly a Rangers supporter now but I don’t think he gets into the current starting team.

But he did play for us and scored a winner at the piggery. Would have been a useful back up just now.
Holding down a spot in the team I mean which he wasn’t able to do under 2 managers yet he thinks under the 3rd it was going to pan out?

Being better than James Sands at CB if we have injuries to 4 CBs is hardly a good enough reason to hold onto him. Definitely did a job for us but as others have said wasn't good enough for us going forward, fitted the bill as a young back up and see what development we could get but not worth keeping after that. Seemed like a nice lad though shame about his injury.

There’s a lot of hyperbole surrounding Katic’s Rangers career.

He was a significant improvement on what we had at the time, he scored a memorable goal against the other mob but Helander immediately provided an upgrade and Davies has done since.

His positional discipline was questionable at best, he was often rash at stepping out the back line and his use of the ball was ordinary. I also think his defensive abilities at set pieces were overstated because of his prowess at the other end. Ironically in the game he scores against Celtic, he loses Jullien at corners for their penalty and another 3 times during the game resulting in Davis clearing off the line.

He would be third choice CB so not a terrible option to have but Beale only wants to improve the squad not add to numbers so unless there is another CB crisis I cant see it happening and we can't stunt Kings development.

He would have been,

Incidentally, how many do you propose we have on our books to cover all eventualities?
Well Katic left us 31st August 2022.

Souttar had been injured since his league debut. (30th July if that helps)
Helander has been injured for years.
We sold Bassey 6 weeks before Katic leaves.
We bought an injured Ben Davies.

I'd say Gio had more than enough info there to keep hold of Katic a wee bit longer.

That enough eventualities for you ?

Katic wasn't as useful as Balogun and even he was deemed surplus to requirements. He would have been nowhere near the first team this season under Beale or not.

There’s a lot of hyperbole surrounding Katic’s Rangers career.

He was a significant improvement on what we had at the time, he scored a memorable goal against the other mob but Helander immediately provided an upgrade and Davies has done since.

His positional discipline was questionable at best, he was often rash at stepping out the back line and his use of the ball was ordinary. I also think his defensive abilities at set pieces were overstated because of his prowess at the other end. Ironically in the game he scores against Celtic, he loses Jullien at corners for their penalty and another 3 times during the game resulting in Davis clearing off the line.

Honestly he was rubbish.

The absolute hard on posters have for him is baffling.

Alot of talk coming from players both current and ex, 'we'd of done this under Beale/Gerrard etc', let's start by seeing it this Sunday. Talk is cheap

Katic wasn't as useful as Balogun and even he was deemed surplus to requirements. He would have been nowhere near the first team this season under Beale or not.

A complete lack of robust CB's is massively in part what cost Gio his job mate, attempting to validate the decisions he made as though they were valid, doesn't entirely work, Katic for instance would have been playing often, and he stayed had Gio had sense, as would Balogun have, their removal is only valid if we improve the side.

I would expect Gio wishes now he went with players who could clear the ball and actually play games over those ball playing CB's he wanted

This is all said by no means thinking Katic is Cannavaro, but there is also an element of having to deal with what is, what we had, and what happened under the previous manager

Last edited:
Back