Niko Katic insists he’d still be at Ibrox under top coach Michael Beale

Shame Niko's ability didn't quite match his attitude, his heart and his love for the club. He'd have been an absolute legend. Wish him nothing but the very best for the future.

He was what we needed at the time beside Goldson. A step up in standards coming in with Gerrard, but as the team and years progressed, he didn't. I know he's had a bad injury but he's never going to be good enough now.

Always thought he was overrated and was happy when he left. Likeable with a good attitude on the pitch but we are better than him now

Katic isn't s##te as some have said. He is a siege defender and we are very rarely under siege in the SPL. I saw him as a player in the same mould of Duffy(snigger away). Duffy wasn't a bad defender(sniggering myself now) he just can't play for a team that are on the front foot and adopt a high press.

Was fairly evident he lost the dress room very early on this season. I like Katic and we'll always have his bullet header at the glitter dome but we've progressed past him. He still wouldn't get minutes for us under Beale and would still have been moved on.
He would've got minutes earlier this season though

Controversial but I’d have him paired up with Goldson personally.

He gives you a set piece threat and is good defensively in the air.

He’s better than Davies.

He isn’t better than Davies. We also play out from the back something Katic is hopeless at.
Davies is definitely the better footballer but over the course of a season I'm not sure that translates into more goals for us than the additional threat Katic provided at set-pieces. Teams really only have to bother with Goldson now.

There have also been plenty of games this season where the opposition have just bullied our defense at crosses. Again, a horses for courses choice of Katic or Davies might have been better than Davies only.

Balogun and Helander when fit provided the best of both in that they were decent footballers with the physicality too.

Letting him go was a mistake when you consider the defensive partnerships we have had to play this year. It’s only fairly recently we have seen Goldson and Davies both fit consistently.

I would have kept Katic in a heartbeat, and not just for his goal at the piggery. He knew he had one job to do and that was clear his lines.

He's kidding himself. Katic was done at Rangers by the 'end' of the 2019/20 season.

But he was a definite upgrade to what we had at the end of 2017/18.

Best of luck to the big man.

He never looked any good post injury. Before that he was a promising young player. Always feel bad for him when he’s spoken of like Russell Martin or something, not sure why some fans dislike him so much.

Sure he’d still be more of an asset than Souttar though.

Domestically definitely but our injuries causing us to play midfielders in defence were mostly under Gio and Gio didnt rate him. Since Beale has come in hes had Goldson and Davies as a settled back pairing. Katic wouldn't make the bench if he was still here now.
I'd have Katic over a guy who's not kicked a ball for us and who's spent 80% of his career on the injury table that's for sure

Presuming you are referring to Souttar. A fair point although Souttar when fit (I know I know) is a far superior player to Katic.
The only game I've watched Souttar in was against West ham and he was dreadful, Katic was a real exciting prospect before his big injury who was capped by Croatia so I don't see how anyone can claim Souttar is far superior

He was perfect palate cleanser to Russel fucking Martin.

But he’d never get a game ahead of Goldson and Davies.
A far bigger goal threat than either though

I don’t think the big man got a fair shake after his injury. I still remember the drooling on here at the shape he was in that pre-season

The only game I've watched Souttar in was against West ham and he was dreadful, Katic was a real exciting prospect before his big injury who was capped by Croatia so I don't see how anyone can claim Souttar is far superior

Meaningless friendly game at the start of his time here. Look at Scottish cup final last season he was Hearts best player and by a distance.

Katic may be capped by Croatia (not many and he won't get many if any more) but he was a total bombscare just before his injury. Positioning all over the place. Remember St Johnstone away? A real threat from set pieces which is something we do indeed lack now but not very good with the ball at his feet and quite naive.

I liked the big man's attitude and delighted he's come back from a horrible injury but we have better defenders at the club and Souttar is one of them, just a shame hes made of glass. With his injury history it wasnt a good decision to sign him but he's a superior footballer to Katic no question for me. Letting him go won't turn out to be a mistake.

His team are sitting two points off bottom in the Swiss league and he's hardly been great for them.

Not a GVB fan by any means but Katic comes across a bit petulant between these comments and his Instagram activity.

I always felt it was a mistake letting Katic go, and nothing I’ve seen since changes my mind.

We have been abysmal at set pieces since he left, he was a warrior in the air.
He was also a player who could go into the opposition box and score a goal.
Some of the comments on here are ridiculous.
He was a young centre back learning his trade well before his injury.
Gio's treatment of him wasn't great.
In the end Gio would oversee the biggest home defeat in our history when we had no central defence.

I understand we need ball playing CB's, but for games throughout the season, against certain teams I think a player like Katic definitely has a place to play. Especially when paired with somebody like Goldson, and players like Lundstram dropping in to help build out.

Think back how soft we have been defending in the air (Davies/Barisic vs Killie was it?) And how little of a threat we have been from set pieces.

Especially given the situation with Soutar and Helander,as said,still a good option off the bench.
What in the name fuck is the script with Helander?
That must be some injury he has.

My neighbour’s leg is going to grow back quicker than his return.

FWIW I prefer Davies to him but would like a decent back up.
Soutar is a waste of money and King has a bit to go.

I wouldn't be averse to Katic returning or even not leaving in the first place, but wether he'd be anything more than a trusted back up is doubtful.

Could see him reaching "Cult hero" status I suppose.

Was fairly evident he lost the dress room very early on this season. I like Katic and we'll always have his bullet header at the glitter dome but we've progressed past him. He still wouldn't get minutes for us under Beale and would still have been moved on.
The board should have realised this fast, this league season could have and should have been very different.

Fashion, Borna are the first to that come to mind but a few others have said very diplomaticly that everything from training and moral hasn’t good under Gio.

Regarding Katic. He was going as his style isn’t what we need.
What did Fashion & Borna say?

I’ve totally missed this

GVB sealed his fate with the post match Ajax interview in the first Champions league group game.

Let it go Niko.
You are right.
But tough to let it go.
Niko got Rangers in his blood and we all know what that is like - and he knows that where he is now or where he was loaned to before…. NOTHING compares to playing for our great club. So i can fully understand he finds it so difficult not to look back

Decent player for us but certainly wouldn't be a first team player for us now.
He'll have,along with us that memory of that winning goal at the Piggery.
Bitter perhaps as he knows he'll never play for a bigger or more iconic club than us.

Back