Nikola Katić

I think Balogun will stay, and the lad from Bournemouth coming in, then you have to ask what will be his role next year?

Depending on ins and outs in the summer, I'd like to see him on loan for first 6 months of next season in a competitive league

A seasons loan deal would suit all parties. Gives him regular minutes which he’s needing once he recovers and potentially puts him in the shop window if deemed surplus to requirements.

I was just trying to work out if he would have been eligible for a league winners medal. Sadly I don't think he will have played enough games.

Can also see him going on a season long loan to get playing time then replacing Balogun as one of the 4 centre half’s the following season

Can also see him going on a season long loan to get playing time then replacing Balogun as one of the 4 centre half’s the following season

Yes, Balogun will probably extend next season, but will be 33/34 by then.

Niko is still very young for a CD.

Let Edmondson go as Simpson is here & hopefully Niko develops to be a vital squad member for the following season.

I think Balogun will stay, and the lad from Bournemouth coming in, then you have to ask what will be his role next year?
No issue with competition for places. The lad from Bournemouth will come in and play the same role edmundson did initially. Back up and learning the ropes.

I expect Katic to get a run once the league is wrapped up and get him fit for next season, but possibly with a view to a sale maybe a loan to buy if Balogun stays. Edmunson will be sold or loaned.

He won’t be back this season. I think next season he will spend it out on loan, he needs game time after an injury like that and he’s not going to get much here next season.

Was if it was august he did the ACL then it is typically best case 6 months the return which would be february, probably lowers the risk of reinjury if we give him another month or two to build back up fitness wise on it

Everyone seems to forget about George Edmundson.

Without Balogun we will have Goldson, Helander, Edmundson, Simpson and Katic.

Balogun is probably on a high wage, I think we should only keep for another year if we sell Goldson or Helander, I mean I don't want to sell either but an English club might make a bid too good to refuse.

If Goldson doesn't sign a new contract the club will probably try to sell him in the summer or risk losing him for free in 2022.

Edmundson out on loan would leave us with the four CBs Gerrard says he needs. I'd prefer Niko to stay with the group and get back into the team. If we get to xmas and he's not been playing then maybe a loan at that stage would be a good idea.

The other thing is who knows who may move in the summer / following the Euros. Helander will be in the shop window, for example.

Edit - I can't count. regardless, I'd still prefer Niko to remain with the group.

Yes, Balogun will probably extend next season, but will be 33/34 by then.

Niko is still very young for a CD.

Let Edmondson go as Simpson is here & hopefully Niko develops to be a vital squad member for the following season.
Agree with this. Balogun has another year in him. You never know what a player will be like after being out that long but Katic is still young and a good CB. But if there’s good loan money there or even maybe c.£7m as a fee I can see the board sanctioning that sale rather that eg Kamara, Kent, Aribo.

Absolutely no reason to rush him back given we have 3 top centre backs at the moment. I think we'll loan him out next season and sell Edmundson. Simpson will be a long term replacement for Balogun IMO.

Agree with this. Balogun has another year in him. You never know what a player will be like after being out that long but Katic is still young and a good CB. But if there’s good loan money there or even maybe c.£7m as a fee I can see the board sanctioning that sale rather that eg Kamara, Kent, Aribo.

Yes, great shout Bjorklund.

Maybe they see good resale value in Niko. I’d still love us to give him another opportunity if he can get out & get himself match fit again.

He came into pre season absolutely ready to compete for a place and push on .... I'm really gutted for the big man that he picked up that injury .... its possibly cost him his Rangers career through no fault of his own :(

He should be back for a run of games before the end of the season.
Not a chance, you aren’t seeing Katic in a rangers jersey until next season and even at that I think he’s going to need a 6 month loan to get back up to speed.

Don't remember this January talk, sure even Gerrard said being available end of the season would be a bonus?

The three guys we have playing in that position now are all massive upgrades on Katic. It's difficult to see him featuring at all even when he's fit.

He's been a reliable player for us and he has a lot of potential for improvement too. Looking forward to having him back.

I think Balogun will extend his contract for an extra year, Katic will probably go out on loan for the season to get back to his best and get lots of minutes.

After next season Balogun will be 34 and will probably be leaving us which leaves a gap in the team for Katic if he can claim it again.

This, I have literally never seen any quote predicting a January return.
There were reports at the time that we were hoping he would return in 6 months and as recent as November of last year, there was reports that he could be back in January.

Rangers News from 16th July 2020

From the Record dated 19th November 2020:

Nikola Katic is on course to hand Rangers a New Year boost as the Premiership title race steps up a gear.

The Croatian defender was dealt a hammer blow in July when he suffered an ACL rupture in training just three weeks before the Premiership campaign got underway.

Scans revealed Katic had torn ligaments and both meniscus in his knee.

"The injury forced Steven Gerrard back into the transfer market to sign Leon Balogun as a replacement and the Nigerian international has excelled.

But Katic, who optimistically targeted being back within six months from his ACL horror, has stepped up his rehab.

And he is indeed on course for a return some time in January."

There were reports at the time that we were hoping he would return in 6 months and as recent as November of last year, there was reports that he could be back in January.
Maybe just taking our time with him given we have Goldson playing every match and Balogun and Helander available. Edmundson (when fit) and King can cover.

Back