Nils Koppen. A big summer ahead

Sgt Steve McGarrett

We will, inevitably, have a big clear out this summer. Good. There’s barely a player in that squad who you could argue is essential to next season. Our recruitment this last two years has been abysmal.

We have to be brutal and push some players out the door. That includes players that continue to deceive the support. It’s taken me a long time to come round to the Tav, Goldson issue and I seem to be alone in spotting that Matondo is one of the worst footballers ever to steal a wage from us. Midfield is so passive, so uninspiring. As for Dessers, I can’t recall ever watching a Rangers number 9 receive a ball and not reacting with hope, excitement, anticipation. It’s a case of I wonder how he’ll lose this ball. He rarely surprises me.

Koppen has shown imagination in his scouting. Diomande has shown real promise and Cortes vastly improved our wide play (an area we are so poor in). Hopefully his injury heals in time for a decent pre-season and we can negotiate a drop in the option price.

I hate to say this but our rivals had a similar deadwood clear out in summer 2021 and, through good recruitment, quickly put a new team on the park. It cost them money, but not an astronomical amount.

Over to you Nils.

Signing a team full of foreign nationals is not going to get it done. We need Scottish blood in this team as every successful Rangers team has had.

We need a window similar to summer 2007.

How do we fund this??? We’ll get 2 joob jobs and a pokey hat from the Europa league
Should be some decent money saved in wages when Barisic, Lundstram, Roofe and Jack are gone.

We need leaders as much as we need good football players, guys who want to stand up and be counted when the going gets tough

The harsh reality is we won’t have anywhere near the funds that fat Ange got and our squad is populated with massively overpaid mediocre players who’ll sit tight because of the ridiculous wages they are on.

We’ll save a bit on the OOC players but that only really helps in the Bosman market which is pretty hit and miss at our financial level.

The last two utterly dreadful summer windows have pretty much tied our hands now.

It’s going to be a lean few years ahead to be blunt no matter who the manager is.

Signing a team full of foreign nationals is not going to get it done. We need Scottish blood in this team as every successful Rangers team has had.

Which Scottish players would you sign?

Watson at Killie
Miller at Motherwell

That's all I can think of that we can afford

I was going to put a post on the forum last night saying similar to this. Its a lack of effort and aggression that costs us. The reality is that too many of our players dont care enough and some Rangers men are required. Dont get me wrong im not saying we fill the team with spl jobbers but we are definitely missing heart in the team.

There isn't enough players good enough or affordable. There's a few that's it so it doesn't really work for the size of rebuild we need. So we have to look abroad aswell as internally.

Which Scottish players would you sign?

Watson at Killie
Miller at Motherwell

That's all I can think of that we can afford
If it were me I would be considering (NI/Scottish blood)

Banon
Shankland
Armstrong
McNair
Miller

To replace

Jack
Roofe
Wright
Goldson
Dowell

Now that is just a quick summary but English journeymen don't cut it at Rangers. Heart and desire come before skill. Not pre Madonna's complaining of the weather, playing surfaces or stadiums.

Hopefully he can work some magic in getting some players out as well. Who is really going to touch Dowell and Lawrence with their injury records. We've basically turned into a retirement home for mid level championship rejects

We will, inevitably, have a big clear out this summer. Good. There’s barely a player in that squad who you could argue is essential to next season. Our recruitment this last two years has been abysmal.

We have to be brutal and push some players out the door. That includes players that continue to deceive the support. It’s taken me a long time to come round to the Tav, Goldson issue and I seem to be alone in spotting that Matondo is one of the worst footballers ever to steal a wage from us. Midfield is so passive, so uninspiring. As for Dessers, I can’t recall ever watching a Rangers number 9 receive a ball and not reacting with hope, excitement, anticipation. It’s a case of I wonder how he’ll lose this ball. He rarely surprises me.

Koppen has shown imagination in his scouting. Diomande has shown real promise and Cortes vastly improved our wide play (an area we are so poor in). Hopefully his injury heals in time for a decent pre-season and we can negotiate a drop in the option price.

I hate to say this but our rivals had a similar deadwood clear out in summer 2021 and, through good recruitment, quickly put a new team on the park. It cost them money, but not an astronomical amount.

Over to you Nils.
We were scouting him before Clement and Koppen came in, I don't think he can get the praise for that one.

Would love that and it's good in theory but who do we target/get? Feels like a lot of the good ones would be out of our budget.

Koppen and his team have a huge task on their hands

We have to get rid of so many players and release every one of the OOC players as they are not good enough or deserve contract extensions

The manager will Hope Koppen is a miracle worker

Tav, Goldson, Davies, Jack, Roofe (ooc), Matondo, Wright, Dessers, Lammers, Dowell, Lawrence. Not sure if more of the above are ooc? Barisic is already away and the loan players too.
These are the main culprits who need to go imo. There's arguments about some others but again that's a matter of opinion and unfortunately we cant just throw the lot into the sea. Whether it's achievable in one window is maybe a bit optimistic. Tav has been a great servant and his numbers are superb don't get me wrong but he's been here so long and not won much. Surely that plays a mental part.
There is a rot in the club from top to bottom and there has been for sometime. Every year we try to treat it but again and again it returns, especially when under pressure.
Tired of saying it but it's a massive summer and God knows where the funds are coming from.
We'll see how good Koppen and Clement really are.
We have a massive wage bill, larger than theirs, but the product on the park being served up every year is downright embarrassing considering.

The lack of players, both young and old who haven’t came from a winning environment is a massive issue at Rangers.

We need players in this bracket who know what it takes and those who can win shiny things.

Who was the last player we signed who came from that type of environment? Arguably Danilo?

Before that ? Kent?

I’m not asking for players from the top 5 leagues, that’s just stupid. But it’s not beyond Rangers to be signing winners from leagues in Scandinavia, Austria etc.

We often don’t strike at the right times. Hopefully that changes with Koppen now here.

But it’s a long road ahead. It may be 3/4 years before we see a league title back at Ibrox.

Back