No injury setback for Ramsey

A lot of people seem to have their minds made up already, as per. From hero to zero, then when he scores a goal, back to hero again.

If he was on the Juventus bench all season, I would assume he was training? Surely he would have to have been ready to get into the squad, "fitness wise"?
I realise being match fit is different than warming the bench but he should be able to run around the pitch for a good 45 minutes at full speed if he's an athlete, not some auld guy getting pished watching the telly.

If he was on the Juventus bench all season, I would assume he was training? Surely he would have to have been ready to get into the squad, "fitness wise"?
I realise being match fit is different than warming the bench but he should be able to run around the pitch for a good 45 minutes at full speed if he's an athlete, not some auld guy getting pished watching the telly.

He tested positive for covid in January and had been isolating. He hadn't been training for a couple of weeks before joining us.

A lot of people seem to have their minds made up already, as per. From hero to zero, then when he scores a goal, back to hero again.
It's not about being a hero or Zero it's about getting a player who we've spent £2 million on for 5 months to make a meaningful impact. We're almost into march and he's only really had 60 mins vs Annan athletic.

I think the way he is being managed right is probably exactly what he needs; after playing virtually no football this season he has been involved in a few games since he arrived, and it may have been wise not to play him Thursday/ Sunday, and subsequently leave him out of a very crucial European decider. He could well be playing in some of the game tomorrow, and being more match fit than he was when he arrived. I'm comfortable with this if this is what the manager thinks is best for the player, and there is much football between now and the end of the season.

What kind of an impact do people want from him in a short space of time? Remember the £2m loan fee has been proven untrue, and we're essentially just paying him Defoe & Barker's wages since they left.

For me:

- Raise the standards around him. Performances have been very good since the Celtic game. Not saying that's down to him at all, but I don't think having him on the training ground and pushing our midfielders would harm the team at all. I'd also imagine he's a good presence in the dressing room.

- Be able to come on and see games out. The matches where he's come on, he's been able to get up and down the pitch effectively, and contribute in defence and attack. Sure, it's only been 15 minute cameos, but we've seen subs come on to see games out a few times already this season and our team is completely under the cosh. When he's come on, we've looked comfortable.

- Provide another option in midfield. There's no doubt he's a higher quality option than Bacuna, and can play the roles of Jack/Lundstram/Kamara/Aribo/Arfield comfortably. We don't have another player who can do that.

If you consider the players who have left in January who he has effectively replaced, it's a no brainer for me. He'll contribute far more than them whilst on a similar wage. It's not as cut and dry as 'he has to play every match or he's a failure'. Let's say he only starts 5 games between now and the end of the season, and the rest he's a sub. Who would you prefer to come on against Celtic or in Europe - Aaron Ramsey, or Bacuna/Barker/Defoe?

As of today, he's contributed virtually nothing.
But I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season and see how it all pans out.

The same people moaning about his lack of contribution are the same people that would moan at the manager if he dropped any of the current midfield 3 to fit Ramsey in.

Ramsey has shown some excellent touches in his limited minutes but he’s going to have to go some to displace Jack, Lundstram or Aribo currently.

The race to be the first to right him off as a dud/failure by some of our support is absolutely bizarre though. It’s almost as if they thrive on negativity.

Ramsey, and probably Diallo too, will likely still have major contributions to make to our season going forward.

What kind of an impact do people want from him in a short space of time? Remember the £2m loan fee has been proven untrue, and we're essentially just paying him Defoe & Barker's wages since they left.

For me:

- Raise the standards around him. Performances have been very good since the Celtic game. Not saying that's down to him at all, but I don't think having him on the training ground and pushing our midfielders would harm the team at all. I'd also imagine he's a good presence in the dressing room.

- Be able to come on and see games out. The matches where he's come on, he's been able to get up and down the pitch effectively, and contribute in defence and attack. Sure, it's only been 15 minute cameos, but we've seen subs come on to see games out a few times already this season and our team is completely under the cosh. When he's come on, we've looked comfortable.

- Provide another option in midfield. There's no doubt he's a higher quality option than Bacuna, and can play the roles of Jack/Lundstram/Kamara/Aribo/Arfield comfortably. We don't have another player who can do that.

If you consider the players who have left in January who he has effectively replaced, it's a no brainer for me. He'll contribute far more than them whilst on a similar wage. It's not as cut and dry as 'he has to play every match or he's a failure'. Let's say he only starts 5 games between now and the end of the season, and the rest he's a sub. Who would you prefer to come on against Celtic or in Europe - Aaron Ramsey, or Bacuna/Barker/Defoe?
Best, most sensible post in the thread. People still won't listen though, we paid 2m and that's that in their minds, mainly because their entire critique of having a pop at the board and player is based around it. Well said.

No
I am saying I am not sure what he wants. i said he doesn't "seem" to want it, not that he definitely doesn't want it.
I also said I hope I am proved wrong.
I want him to play and be a success and for him to fall in love with the club.
Its just that, so far, I haven't seen anything which suggests this will happen.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong.
What exactly is the reasoning for him not seeming to “want it”? Are we expecting him to be banging on the managers door and bleating in the press to play when we’re playing well and he’s building fitness?

He’s looked pretty keen to be involved when on the pitch, always demanding the ball even in tight situations.

Not a body language expert like some on here, but he doesn't seem uninterested or unhappy.

Last edited:

For me:

So just to sign a super sub then ?

If we don't see a meaningful impact or contribution of some sort today, then GvB should shake his hand, pack his bags and send him on his way with best wishes for the future. Gio's next thing should be to call the DoF to his office and ask him to explain himself.

You don't get it as you're making up scenarios in your head and assuming things you have absolutely no idea are true or not but nonetheless has got you worried.

No wonder you're so confused.
It's a fair point ffs.
How could he pick up an injury despite not playing or training?

Not quite sure I buy that, there’s definitely been an injury setback somewhere otherwise he’d have played more minutes.

Seriously after that atmosphere on Thursday I would have thought he'd be bursting a gut to get himself fit for the remainder of the season.

This is beginning to look like he's came to Scotland for a holiday.

Total joke of a pr signing, guy is finished.
Jack been at the club for years and gave us great service. What an embarrassing post mate.

Is it, the amount of folk that post “he’s finished” about all numbers of players from Jack to Ramsey to Brown and so on………

Back