Not going too well for Warbutons QPR today

He still had to do it.

Look how many managers have had that luxury in that league and failed miserably.

McCoist, Stubbs, McKinnon, Laszlo, Neilson have all failed to do it.

True but our resources are FAR beyond every other side and beyond what those other coaches hide (minus McCoist), look at the training facilities too. And McCoist was an abject failure as a manager and seemed to turn Auchenhowie into a holiday camp so I wouldn’t measure anyone against him because it wouldn’t be hard to do better. I do think he did a good job of restoring a level of professionalism with regards to training and scouting though.

The threads about MW and PC sum up FF quite well in that there is no room for being average... your either brilliant or pish. Whilst SG is clearly an upgrade his predecessors aren't shite or frauds as some would have you believe. Both have shown elsewhere they can operate at a decent level, sadly just not the level we require.

The Warburton threads are fair becoming tiresome.

I agree, but mainly because it brings out a weird polarisation on here that leads to the same bitching about his merits, or lack of them.

I’m somewhere in between. A decent manager who had us playing some decent football (in the second tier) and will always be remembered for pulling off one of the most memorable Old Firm wins ever, but at the same time, a limited manager and coach who is now at his level.

I’ll put aside all the sneaking about that accompanied the end of his time with us, because it’s been done to death, and leave it at that.

I agree, but mainly because it brings out a weird polarisation on here that leads to the same bitching about his merits, or lack of them.

I’m somewhere in between. A decent manager who had us playing some decent football (in the second tier) and will always be remembered for pulling off one of the most memorable Old Firm wins ever, but at the same time, a limited manager and coach who is now at his level.

I’ll put aside all the sneaking about that accompanied the end of his time with us, because it’s been done to death, and leave it at that.

Pretty much word for word my thoughts on it.

Brought in Tav for £200,000 as well, which is ridiculous.

He isn't progressing as a manager. 5 or 6 years down the line, he still has defences which are all over the place. Another 2 goals lost from set plays today. He'll get sacked, find another job. And repeat. And repeat, God knows how many times.

I still feel sad for him. He did get us out the championship, and gave us THAT victory over the filth. Cup final aside he’ll be remembered fondly for season 15/16.

A man who when he seen our ‘going for 55‘ display in that game at Ibrox described himself as disappointed.

speaks volumes

He was right. The Yahoos had brought in Brendan Rodgers, Sinclair and Dembele to a championship winning team. Aberdeen had Jack, Maddison, McLean, Hayes, Shinnie. We brought in Barton and Kranjcar and thought we were taking the title. Warburton knew we were nowhere near it. The board and fans underestimated how far off we were in 2016. Easier to blame Warburton.

He was right. The Yahoos had brought in Brendan Rodgers, Sinclair and Dembele to a championship winning team. Aberdeen had Jack, Maddison, McLean, Hayes, Shinnie. We brought in Barton and Kranjcar and thought we were taking the title. Warburton knew we were nowhere near it. The board and fans underestimated how far off we were in 2016. Easier to blame Warburton.
So do you attach any blame to him for the Hibs cup final?

So do you attach any blame to him for the Hibs cup final?

Blame? We lost a Cup Final. I don’t think we meant to lose.

It was similar to 1994. We ended the season with too many meaningless league fixtures and couldn’t get going on the day.

Blame? We lost a Cup Final. I don’t think we meant to lose.

It was similar to 1994. We ended the season with too many meaningless league fixtures and couldn’t get going on the day.

2-1 up with 8 minutes to go against a 3rd place Hibs team we had beaten to the title by miles and who had just suffered a play off defeat to Falkirk. That's not just on the manager for me. The players simply never turned up.

Two players showed up that day for us - Miller and Zelalem. And Zelalem was dead on his feet by the time he was subbed. Even then we had enough quality on the pitch to see it out. That Hibs team was utter dug shit.

He’s actually be a very decent manager if he could just get a defence organised.

Brentford are one of the best sides in the championship. He won his last two games 6-1 and 5-1 so I don't feel justified busting his balls on that.

2-1 up with 8 minutes to go against a 3rd place Hibs team we had beaten to the title by miles and who had just suffered a play off defeat to Falkirk. That's not just on the manager for me. The players simply never turned up.

Two players showed up that day for us - Miller and Zelalem. And Zelalem was dead on his feet by the time he was subbed. Even then we had enough quality on the pitch to see it out. That Hibs team was utter dug shit.

It unexpectedly worked in Hibs favour, playing for something right up to the final. My take is that a lot of our players thought the job was done in the semi final. They couldn’t shift gear.

Warburton couldn’t pick a centre half to save himself, of course. That much is clear.

It was a sore one to take but it’s not something I hold against him. It’s the only Scottish Cup Final we’ve played in the last 10 years, after all.

Whenever I think of Warburton that shambolic Cup Final performance always comes to mind, so I try not to think of him.

I agree, he has a blind spot in organising a team to defend consistently.
However, I wouldn't write him off as a coach, he can get a team playing decent football and I still enjoyed that promotion year when Rangers were worth watching and the excitement level amidst the fans was through the roof.
All of this seems forgotten by many on here.
For myself, I will always wish the man the very best.

The cup run in the second half of that season masked a lot. An awful lot.

It unexpectedly worked in Hibs favour, playing for something right up to the final. My take is that a lot of our players thought the job was done in the semi final. They couldn’t shift gear.

Warburton couldn’t pick a centre half to save himself, of course. That much is clear.

It was a sore one to take but it’s not something I hold against him. It’s the only Scottish Cup Final we’ve played in the last 10 years, after all.

I actually think the post match scenes and the subsequent fallout went a long way in terms of Warburton's departure.

I think it was the day that hastened his exit. He simply wanted no part of it.

He’s actually be a very decent manager if he could just get a defence organised.
This is the reason why Warburton will never be a decent manager. Defence is as important as attack. I thought he would have been a reasonable coach for our youth teams but as a manager for the first team, no thanks. To be losing 3 goals at Kirkcaldy and another 3 at Hampden indicated a fundamental flaw in the management and the players.

Would Stevie G bolt out the door for Nottingham Forest .......I don’t think so.Thank feck we are rid of a non entity like him who never “Got it”.

And thank %^*& we are rid of some of the lilly liveried pussies he brought in like Windass and Forrester .

Albeit I thank you Mark to eternity for getting Windass in the door for feck all, and Gerrard taking a pre season to realise he was shite and somehow managing to get Wigan to pay £2m For him.

And thanks for Tav too.

I don’t think anyone realistically thought we were going to win it that year, it would have nice to have thought we could have tried though, instead of just giving up before a ball was kicked.

QPR are a good side to back BTTS, especially away from home.
Defensively vulnerable but with a Warbarton team, they will attack.

Just watched their game there. Brentford are a good side, 4th lowest budget in the Championship, sitting in 3rd place.

An interesting article on their statistical approach.

I agree, he has a blind spot in organising a team to defend consistently.
However, I wouldn't write him off as a coach, he can get a team playing decent football and I still enjoyed that promotion year when Rangers were worth watching and the excitement level amidst the fans was through the roof.
All of this seems forgotten by many on here.
For myself, I will always wish the man the very best.
Correct bilko. A lot with selective memories on here.

The fraud patter must be the worst of all time. Genuinely believe that anyone rolling that our now is either a 13 year old in his maws basement or an obese 30/40 something "football manager".

The cup run in the second half of that season masked a lot. An awful lot.
Yes, but he got us that vital promotion and that was his only real job, the cup run was icing.
Had he won that cup, he might well still have been here.
I am of the view that serendipity has landed us perhaps a manager who will write himself into our history in the manner of a Souness.
Regrets, sure, but too few to mention. ;)

As much as we dislike Warburton for the way he left. He did get us back to the SPFL at first time of asking and identify players such as Fod, Tav and Windass who have all either served us well or now worth considerably more than bought for. That said I have far more Confidence in the current management and scouting network.
He brought the buzz back for me after sitting through some of the worst football I've ever been at prob ever seen! it was tremedous at the start always like him for that soon as people knew how to play against us he never had another answer

I don't like the whole Warburton character assassination, he did a lot of good but he should be a director of football, not a manager.

Brentford are a decent outfit.

He's so erratic. He comes in, sounds like a breath of fresh air and once he's used all his lines, he's seen for what he really is.

A City banker (used to get out of bed at 4am FYI)
A city banker you say. Is the rhyming slang and is that the reason for being up at 4am. Did he get out of bed afterwards?

Really?! Interesting take.
Don’t get me wrong his Plan A is working brilliantly but it’s often said on here that Gerrard isn’t great at changing things to influence games. I love what him and MW have done for the club and though I love Gerrard as our manager, a concern for me is does he know how to change it when things aren’t working?

As much as we dislike Warburton for the way he left. He did get us back to the SPFL at first time of asking and identify players such as Fod, Tav and Windass who have all either served us well or now worth considerably more than bought for. That said I have far more Confidence in the current management and scouting network.

I read your last sentence and thought wow!!!....that's a stunning and insightful observation if ever I heard one!!

Back