Not reaching the League Cup Final

Beezty

Don't need to point out our cup record recently but all things considered and how vital it is to win the league this year could it turn out in our favour?

Looking at both our fixture lists I'd suggest coming through the last 3 away games with 9 points and a clean bill of health ( albeit Ryan Jack's set back ) has heaped serious pressure on them to deliver prior to the 2nd of January.

Add to that their weekly hamstring bingo & an additional 90 minutes with the possibility of extra time with their league fixture squeezed in before Christmas it's going to be an interesting fortnight for big Flange.

Fixtures

Wed 15th Dec

Rangers v St Johnstone
Ross County v Fhilth

Sat / Sun 18th & 19th Dec
Rangers v Dundee Utd
Hibs v Fhilth ( LCF )

Wed 22nd dec
St Mirren v Fhilth

Boxing Day
Rangers v St Mirren
St Johnstone v Fhilth

There is nothing good to say about getting beaten in a Cup semi-final. No point trying to dress it up as anything other than a huge failure and a massive kick in the nuts. There's no reason at all why we shouldn't be winning Cups AND League titles in the same season. We f*cked it up, pure and simple.

Being able to go further ahead is a definite silver lining.

At end of the day though, I would always prefer to be in playing in a cup final if given the choice.

Asking who I would rather win league Cup final next weekend is like asking who I would rather boot me in the balls. As much I will begrudgingly back Hibs, it will be sickening to watch either of them win it.

Being able to go further ahead is a definite silver lining.

At end of the day though, I would always prefer to be in playing in a cup final if given the choice.

Asking who I would rather win league Cup final next weekend is like asking who I would rather boot me in the balls. As much I will begrudgingly back Hibs, it will be sickening to watch either of them win it.
Hibs beat us fair and square and they are the lesser of the 2 evils by a large margin. I'd raise a slight grin if they beat the scum.

We have the squad to cope with a run of fixtures and a cup final, it was one of the sorest days in recent memory

I said at start of season that I don’t care about cups. I want the league.

If Stirling beat us and we went on to win the league I’d be delighted.

The players have let themselves down and the fans down the last few years in the cups, a situation that will hopefully be amended in the Scottish Cup at the end of the season.

I get the whole thing around winning cups breeds a winning mentality but did they not win a few cups under TB and never won the league?

Big difference winning a cup over winning a league. Look at bottom of the table St Johnstone who hold the 2 cups just now.

Liverpool - won a number of cups with Stevie G, no league though. Flip it the other way, Klopp still hasn’t won a domestic cup. Won the league.

Sure - i’d rather be there but certainly question that winning the cup means you then go on and win the league mentality.

It’s actually astonishing how some fans are now programmed to accept not winning cups

It’s pathetic

I think football has changed since our last cup win. The domestic cups don’t have the same pull across the continent anymore. It’s all about winning the league and doing well in Europe, both of which we are doing. How many times do you see the bigger clubs rest players for cups now.

I’m not saying I buy into that, I want to win cups. But I would argue it’s not “pathetic” due to the changes within football and certainly not a Rangers issue.

I think football has changed since our last cup win. The domestic cups don’t have the same pull across the continent anymore. It’s all about winning the league and doing well in Europe, both of which we are doing. How many times do you see the bigger clubs rest players for cups now.

I’m not saying I buy into that, I want to win cups. But I would argue it’s not “pathetic” due to the changes within football and certainly not a Rangers issue.
We sing about being the most successful team in football, cup competitions are included in that

Not winning a domestic cup in 10 years is utterly embarrassing, even with the demotion we’ve massively underperformed last 5 years

We need to start winning doubles again

Don't need to point out our cup record recently but all things considered and how vital it is to win the league this year could it turn out in our favour?

Looking at both our fixture lists I'd suggest coming through the last 3 away games with 9 points and a clean bill of health ( albeit Ryan Jack's set back ) has heaped serious pressure on them to deliver prior to the 2nd of January.

Add to that their weekly hamstring bingo & an additional 90 minutes with the possibility of extra time with their league fixture squeezed in before Christmas it's going to be an interesting fortnight for big Flange.

Fixtures

Wed 15th Dec

Rangers v St Johnstone
Ross County v Fhilth

Sat / Sun 18th & 19th Dec
Rangers v Dundee Utd
Hibs v Fhilth ( LCF )

Wed 22nd dec
St Mirren v Fhilth

Boxing Day
Rangers v St Mirren
St Johnstone v Fhilth
No. not winning a trophy never works out to your advantage. This place is wild today.

With their current injury problems we’d be absolutely licking our lips if we were playing them in the Final this weekend.

Beating them in the final and taking the first piece of silverware would have given the team a tremendous lift going into the New Year game.

Gerrard had a horrendous record in cups. We didn't even contest finals with him. Gio didn't take the team for the semi so I put that down to SG too. We'll win the important cup, maybe two of them.

I said at start of season that I don’t care about cups. I want the league.

If Stirling beat us and we went on to win the league I’d be delighted.
This. The league is vital as there is too much $$$ at stake. Win the league and we will be set for quite a few years. Lose and they will strengthen like anything to keep us down.

The league is priority.

The league cup has run its course and is a small time bauble. Should we be in the CL next season, give youth a chance in the League Cup. SAF and AW did that in England, and they knew about football. We need to think of the bigger picture.

"hamstring bingo" :D

More than happy with the results since, but I'd have preferred to have a cup final to look forward to.

This. The league is vital as there is too much $$$ at stake. Win the league and we will be set for quite a few years. Lose and they will strengthen like anything to keep us down.
That's not why we lost to Hibs though, or St Johnston last season.

We had literally won the league by the time we were knocked out of the Scottish Cup last season.

It is entirely possible to both win the league AND Cups, we don't need to sacrifice Cups, if we were doing that we would play our 5th and 6th sides in Cup games, we don't.

Last edited:
We have won the league and cups loads and loads of times in our history, it is entirely possible to do BOTH things, getting beat off Hibs isn't the reason we will or won't win the league.
So you’ll be happy with a Scottish cup and nothing else? Yes we can do both, but I said if you would read that I wasn’t interested in the cups before a ball was kicked this season.

It’s why I didn’t get too annoyed after semi and why I don’t care if Stirling beat us on Scottish. I want the league and am not worried about the cups. We need that league win and the finances that go with it, missing out would hurt us badly.

So you’ll be happy with a Scottish cup and nothing else? Yes we can do both, but I said if you would read that I wasn’t interested in the cups before a ball was kicked this season.

It’s why I didn’t get too annoyed after semi and why I don’t care if Stirling beat us on Scottish. I want the league and am not worried about the cups. We need that league win and the finances that go with it, missing out would hurt us badly.
What a ridiculous question.

An absolute shit load of Rangers fans are "interested in the Cups" reflected by how many attended Hampden

OUR CLUB is interested in winning Cups reflected by the starting lineup at Hampden.

"you don't care about Cups" - Staggering you don't have the awareness to realize how removed that is from our clubs ethos and history TBH

Some daft reactions to this.

We're out the cup, we all felt it and yes I wish we were playing them next week.

However, who ever wins the league this year will steal a march on the other for years to come IMO, which is MASSIVE.

The way the Flange is running them into the ground an additional match in between an already congested fixture list with the potential of 120 minutes sandwiched in between a long midweek trip to Dingwall then away to St Mirren could work in our favour.

What a ridiculous question.

An absolute shit load of Rangers fans are "interested in the Cups" reflected by how many attended Hampden

OUR CLUB is interested in winning Cups reflected by the starting lineup at Hampden.

"you don't care about Cups" - Staggering you don't have the awareness to realize how removed that is from our clubs ethos and history TBH
Staggering to think that a fan base only has one train of thought tbh.

I’ve had many great days out at cup finals and cherished memories but my thought process is to the club and it’s long term ability to compete. A league win and champions league money brings that back into our control. A couple cups and piss ups at Hampden wont.

Some daft reactions to this.

We're out the cup, we all felt it and yes I wish we were playing them next week.

However, who ever wins the league this year will steal a march on the other for years to come IMO, which is MASSIVE.

The way the Flange is running them into the ground an additional match in between an already congested fixture list with the potential of 120 minutes sandwiched in between a long midweek trip to Dingwall then away to St Mirren could work in our favour.

Winning a Cup could work in their favor.
Wining a Cup and beating them again could have, really would have, worked in our favor.
NOT dropping points in games that weren't the week of Cup Finals could have worked in our favor.

You can spin any argument to create some make believe myth that works in a sides favor TBH

You are trying to talk the idea down of Rangers winning a Cup and also justifying that, it's utterly daft. If we wanted to chuck Cups we wouldn't try and, you know, win them in the first place.

Staggering to think that a fan base only has one train of thought tbh.

I’ve had many great days out at cup finals and cherished memories but my thought process is to the club and it’s long term ability to compete. A league win and champions league money brings that back into our control. A couple cups and piss ups at Hampden wont.

It's not that staggering TBH, an absolute f*ck load of our fans want Rangers, and in reality, expect Rangers to win every domestic competition we enter, if you haven't understood that by now you are a million miles off the pace of where the vast VAST majority of our fan base sits.

Great days at games in a competition you "don't care about"

WE.COULD.WIN.CUPS.AND.WIN.THE.LEAGUE.

10891414.jpg

AND

GettyImages-114193740.jpg

_47512296_coopinscup_poster.jpg

AND

It's not that staggering TBH, an absolute f*ck load of our fans want Rangers, and in reality, expect Rangers to win every domestic competition we enter, if you haven't understood that by now you are a million miles off the pace of where the vast VAST majority of our fan base sits.

Great days at games in a competition you "don't care about"

WE.COULD.WIN.CUPS.AND.WIN.THE.LEAGUE.

10891414.jpg

AND

GettyImages-114193740.jpg

_47512296_coopinscup_poster.jpg

AND

Does writing something in capital letters make it fact?

I also like that you showed your workings in picture form.

Back