Nottingham Forest- 4 points deduction

Yeah rules are rules etc however any punishment should be dished out before the season starts not part way through the season or close to the end as it is now.
Both Everton and Forest should be starting next season minus 6 & 4 points respectively, not changing goal posts half way through.
Being this close to the end of the season and deducting points is almost as good as relegating a team. They would be as well saying the punishment is relegation.
Instead they will spin it as only a points deduction which technically it is but they know what they are effectively doing.
It’s mental to think that Forest and Everton get punished meanwhile Chelsea Man U, City etc are spending Millions every year.
How the %^*& Chelsea haven’t been pulled up I will never know.

Ridiculous state of affairs. We're going to get to the end of the season and still not know who's been relegated and who's staying up. Notts Forest or Everton fans may well celebrate saving their skin on the final day of the season, only to find that they're relegated by committee a few days later. Likewise, the teams around them.

Yeah rules are rules etc however any punishment should be dished out before the season starts not part way through the season or close to the end as it is now.
Both Everton and Forest should be starting next season minus 6 & 4 points respectively, not changing goal posts half way through.
Being this close to the end of the season and deducting points is almost as good as relegating a team. They would be as well saying the punishment is relegation.
Instead they will spin it as only a points deduction which technically it is but they know what they are effectively doing.
It’s mental to think that Forest and Everton get punished meanwhile Chelsea Man U, City etc are spending Millions every year.

clever accounting made them ok
the league have closed the loophole tho

Even more bizarrely Forest over spend was £34m and Everton’s was £19m.

Yet originally Everton were deducted 10pts reduced to 6pts and Forest 4pts.

That can’t be right surely. Not a great look for the EPL and its image of being the best league in the world.

Seems a total mess. Promotion and relegation should be decided on the pitch but equally teams cannot consistently spend money they don’t have.

Hard to see what the right way forward is but this certainly isn’t the right mechanism.

Even more bizarrely Forest over spend was £34m and Everton’s was £19m.

Yet originally Everton were deducted 10pts reduced to 6pts and Forest 4pts.

That can’t be right surely. Not a great look for the EPL and its image of being the best league in the world.
I think there was a bit of mitigation due to them admitting it and being open with the enquiry, and also because they sold a player, that would have brought them into the right side of FFP, but a bit to late and they missed the cut off.

The best league in the world is turning into a complete car crash
It’s a mess just now. However I actually think it’s having the desired effect, January was the quietest month ever for transfers as clubs were shit scared to spend more due to FFP.

It’s making them live within their means. If anything, this should have happened 15 years ago, it would have stopped the likes of Man City and Chelsea basically buying their way to glory.

It’s a mess just now. However I actually think it’s having the desired effect, January was the quietest month ever for transfers as clubs were shit scared to spend more due to FFP.

It’s making them live within their means. If anything, this should have happened 15 years ago, it would have stopped the likes of Man City and Chelsea basically buying their way to glory.
The problem now is they have done all that spending and impacts on the lower teams getting to that level.

I believe they’re discussing increasing the threshold.

The problem now is they have done all that spending and impacts on the lower teams getting to that level.

I believe they’re discussing increasing the threshold.
Yeah the horse has bolted regarding City and Chelsea.

They are talking about changing the cap to be more in line with what UEFA want I believe, I can’t recall the exact proposal but I remember reading about it last week.

Looks like the EPL look at Scotland for techniques in make it up as they go along.
Yes Forest overspent and brought in far too many players BUT had they sold Johnson early in the window for £30m rather than the £45m from Spurs then they'd be in the clear :))
Whole thing seems bizarre, anyway Luton staying up would be decent!

Last edited:
Surely it’s more unfair on other teams and their supporters who do live within their means and within the rules if the clubs that don’t aren’t punished for it?
This is a different point and I know they’ve not been penalised yet but…

City are living well within their means due to their owners wealth but will/may be penalised

The knock on effects would have been awful for the EPL 15 years ago, with 2 clubs having the wealth and capacity to absolutely obliterate everyone else, rather than the 4 or 5 that can now. Imagine having Fergie in charge of Man Utd and Abramovich in at Chelsea at that point and with them able to pull up the drawbridge behind them.

Indeed, didn’t West Ham end up paying a shit tonne in fines to Sheffield Utd after they illegally signed Carlos Tevez? Who in turn scored the goals that kept them up.

Forest deserve to be punished. As do Everton. The sheer scale of accusations against Man City mean it’s taking far longer, but if found guilty they could well end up relegated.
Hope so

all the top teams spend enormous amounts, it’s just City have the best manager ever

The Man City case is far more complicated than any other case hence the length of time it’s taken.

It’s the EPL, who in effect are the 20 clubs, who agree and enforce the rules.

A bit like the SPFHL but in our case it's only one club who agree and enforce the rules.

all the top teams spend enormous amounts, it’s just City have the best manager ever
Yeah but it could be argued, very easily in City’s case that if it wasn’t for massively inflated Arab cash, there’s no way City would have the world’s best manager. City weren’t close to being a top team before this.

Should be a different punishment for this rather than points deductions.

2 or 3 year transfer ban on both purchases and sales. Would result in some risky end of contract situations.

Scandalous that they target the smaller clubs. The number of offences that M City have shouldn't be a get out clause. Deal with the misdeals that are ready and deduct the season's points.
It's not a get out clause.

They face 115 charges. They have to be allowed time to build a defence against each charge. It's obviously going to take longer for both legal teams to process a case of 1 charge v a case of 115 charges.

They should be deducted points equivalent to their Scrabble score:

Everton 10 points.
Nottingham Forest 25 points.
Manchester City 26 points.

:)

I cant see how this is going to work long term unless each season is treated individually. Having to comply over 3 seasons is what makes it difficult for teams and what also makes it difficult to punish.
Everton are rightly claiming that they shouldn't be up on new charges as they've been punished for some of the time that the original charge what brought. So either their new charge only applies to season 23/24 or not at all.
How can you charge a team with breaches over the last 3 years then not reset the clock? You'd be punishing them twice for same time period.

I know their point deduction could have been worse but I dont see Forest getting out of the relegation zone.

Indeed, didn’t West Ham end up paying a shit tonne in fines to Sheffield Utd after they illegally signed Carlos Tevez? Who in turn scored the goals that kept them up.

Forest deserve to be punished. As do Everton. The sheer scale of accusations against Man City mean it’s taking far longer, but if found guilty they could well end up relegated.
Thing is why is it taking longer. It’s a farce.

It's Luton I feel for in this.

They have done nothing wrong, but they don't know where they are from one month to the next with all this going on during a season, which is worth multi millions.

Did Chelsea not get a transfer ban lol

I cant see how this is going to work long term unless each season is treated individually. Having to comply over 3 seasons is what makes it difficult for teams and what also makes it difficult to punish.
Everton are rightly claiming that they shouldn't be up on new charges as they've been punished for some of the time that the original charge what brought. So either their new charge only applies to season 23/24 or not at all.
How can you charge a team with breaches over the last 3 years then not reset the clock? You'd be punishing them twice for same time period.

Isn’t it a rolling 3 year though. So if someone spends big now, it’s still on the time to calculate on the accounts?

Back