Now the dust has settled

The only positive thing I can take from yesterday is that in some positions the jersey is up for grabs for the cup final. I can only think of 4 nailed on starters.

Butland
Tav
Sterling
Dessers

Everyone else can stake a claim for a start at Hampden.

The second half was as pathetic as we were there under Pedro. The game was like a training exercise for them although being down to 10 obviously contributed to that. Combination of Butland having a great game and their finishing being poor kept the score down.

Even in the first half we did the usual sitting off them inviting shots from the edge of the box and leaving acres of space to run into. Not sure how anyone can see what the plan was other than fire long balls to Silva/ Dessers and hope for the best.

The only positive thing I can take from yesterday is that in some positions the jersey is up for grabs for the cup final. I can only think of 4 nailed on starters.

Butland
Tav
Sterling
Dessers

Everyone else can stake a claim for a start at Hampden.

Slightly depressing isn’t it. Four names. The squad is shambles.

Think this picture sums yesterday up.
IMG-20240512-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240512-WA0002.jpg
I couldn’t believe that. That wasn’t even the goal either I’m sure. Yet two minutes later we afford him space again.

Literally every blue jersey in that photo is ball watching with no awareness of where the danger is.
Three players drawn to the ball and man in possession who has his back to goal and those three players are still 2-3 yards off him with no real pressure.
No discernible shape with our three midfielders within 10 yards of each other,
in a fucking triangle in our own box, with Lundstram at RB.

I seriously hope that’s just these players being tactically inept and not following the gaffers orders, as opposed to following the gameplan. If it’s the latter, we are fucked.

Last edited:
I’ve just watched the game again

We were quick frankly never in it and constantly playing long balls
Only thing positive is the fact we didn’t let it turn into a rout in the second half , though I think that was more down to luck than anything
Anyway hope we have a few players back for the cup final
Tbh I was happier , but not happy , that on each side we used diagonals into the front wide areas to relieve the frontline final third pressure to me that was an obvious choice all those other tunes that we did not even manage to do .
We also broke up the flow and hence threat of waves of attacks with a little guile too so ok that’s a game management positive .

The ease that they gave it being territorially on top of us though is the primary problem in all of this and around the 20min mark McGregor really begin to drive into us we were defending wide areas with clusters but he then started to read that and make himself , or Johnson , and then both, the additional player(s) in the movement and that was enough to undo us at the opener just a numbers overload . We clustered in there and they worked it out and punched through the centre in phase 2 as our defenders most notably Davies stood flat and deep in the penalty box .

The 2nd was right after obviously and it was nothing situation other than CCV having zero pressure and JL doing the unimaginable .

The defining minutes in there goal advantage followed by JL making another grand fukup at the red card .

Had we got to HT 2-1 and Eleven who knows how it would have panned but I fully agree we had no flow no rhythm and almost no connections n that 1H other than basic linkups and crosses

Don't tend to watch defeats back but fair play OP.

I go with what I saw yesterday in real time and 1-2 flattered us I'm afraid. Better finishing from them and they could've been out of sight at HT (again).

I keep reading on here and elsewhere that they "aren't that great a side". They may well not be that great a side - facts are that they are still winning titles.

What's that saying about us?

I think there needs to be a major rebuild during the summer.
Personally I’d like to see as many as 8-9 new players arrive and not squad players, but players with experience and ability.

I’m totally scunnered, booked a trip home to see my ma, 20-28, just wish I picked different dates.
I honestly don’t see any positivity for us whatsoever moving forwards. I’ll be 60 this year and wonder if I’ll ever see a dominant Rangers again.

Chin up buddy, peaks and troughs. If you’re 60 you’ll have seen us worse than this.

We’ll be back sooner than you think

I honestly couldn’t think of anything worse than watching that shitshow again but fair play to you OP

Agree re cup final players especially Sima i pray he is back in time, a fully fit Ridvan would be nice also
Is Sima not needing an op?

Where's the money coming from for that?
That’s where the football department need to earn their money and shift on as many players as possible freeing up all the big wages
As for paying transfer fees , I agree where’s the money coming from

Only thing positive is the fact we didn’t let it turn into a rout in the second half , though I think that was more down to luck than anything
We could have scored 4 goals in the first half (so could have they) but it was a scrappy game. Second half you can't really judge and we did well

I think it was the tactic to play in behind the full backs, which did get some success

Need to be braver and better on the ball in midfield

The second half was as pathetic as we were there under Pedro. The game was like a training exercise for them although being down to 10 obviously contributed to that. Combination of Butland having a great game and their finishing being poor kept the score down.

Even in the first half we did the usual sitting off them inviting shots from the edge of the box and leaving acres of space to run into. Not sure how anyone can see what the plan was other than fire long balls to Silva/ Dessers and hope for the best.
Yeh, it’s worrying. There was no other plan as far as I could see.

We are miles behind them, it's very worrying the direction we are headed.

No one has a clue what we are trying to do, the players certainly don't, I doubt the manager does either.

Our lack of pacy players all over the park in our starting eleven compared to them cost us dearly,they can keep a high line against us knowing none of our players has the pace to run away from them hence compress all the play in our half.

IMG-20240512-WA0002.jpg
That's it. The number of times they played triangles right through us around the edge of our box, the number of times we allowed their player to collect the ball in our box in plenty of space, the number of shots we allowed them to get away. All scandalous. The rest of the SPL doesn't allow us to play through them like that, or we lack the players and playing style to do it consistently.

We are probably not their toughest game anymore....they struggle more with killie than us , that alone is shocking

Just fancied watching again to see where we went wrong

Tbh we were never in it and a huge improvement is required for the cup final
I disagree. Celtic are no great shakes. We just need to start better, stay focused and keep 11 men on the park.

Tbh I was happier , but not happy , that on each side we used diagonals into the front wide areas to relieve the frontline final third pressure to me that was an obvious choice all those other tunes that we did not even manage to do .
We also broke up the flow and hence threat of waves of attacks with a little guile too so ok that’s a game management positive .

The ease that they gave it being territorially on top of us though is the primary problem in all of this and around the 20min mark McGregor really begin to drive into us we were defending wide areas with clusters but he then started to read that and make himself , or Johnson , and then both, the additional player(s) in the movement and that was enough to undo us at the opener just a numbers overload . We clustered in there and they worked it out and punched through the centre in phase 2 as our defenders most notably Davies stood flat and deep in the penalty box .

The 2nd was right after obviously and it was nothing situation other than CCV having zero pressure and JL doing the unimaginable .

The defining minutes in there goal advantage followed by JL making another grand fukup at the red card .

Had we got to HT 2-1 and Eleven who knows how it would have panned but I fully agree we had no flow no rhythm and almost no connections n that 1H other than basic linkups and crosses
They looked more sharper and fitter than us how on earth in the modern game is that possible

We are miles behind them, it's very worrying the direction we are headed.

No one has a clue what we are trying to do, the players certainly don't, I doubt the manager does either.
We're really not. Motherwell, Ross County and Dundee killed us. Results in Europe also show how good we are compared to them. Let's not make them out to be better than they are. They've been gift wrapped this title, they haven't won it.

I’m totally scunnered, booked a trip home to see my ma, 20-28, just wish I picked different dates.
I honestly don’t see any positivity for us whatsoever moving forwards. I’ll be 60 this year and wonder if I’ll ever see a dominant Rangers again.
I’m a few years older and the way things are going, with them getting champions league money year after year, I said to my son I’ll be lucky if I see us wining the league again in my lifetime.

We regularly have managers and players telling us of how high the standards are at the club and rightly so. Unfortunately I don't think many in the team just now have the hunger or desire to be winners with us. Yesterday we were clearly 2nd best and in a must win game our rivals were sharper and hungrier than we were too many are happy with being 2nd and until we get our standards back we're not changing this anytime soon.

Back