Numan world cup 98

BlackfordLoyal

Watching this world cup got me thinking how excited I was watching Numan at the world cup in France. Was gutted at the time thinking we had missed out on Stam but blown away how good Numan looked.

If he hadn't got that injury first season imagine how good he really could have been for us (he was an excellent player for us by the way but could have been even better)

My dad has never quite forgiven Advocaat for not having him as captain. Even though Amoruso and Barry did excellent
Numan was offered the captaincy twice.

Firstly, when he joined - didn’t think it was right for a new captain to come into a new environment.

Secondly, when Amo had been stripped of it - felt dressing room was tense and broken already, a Dutch captain would only have made it worse.

Turned it down on both occasions.

Tell him that :))

Met him in the Club Deck at a game against that lot.

Knew a song or ten ;)
There was a mouse WHERE there on the stair there on the stair right there a little mouse clogs on going clip clippedy clop on the stair was his all time favourite song if I remember correctly

One of the best left backs ever. That we seen him in a Rangers strip for years is amazing. He had pace, strength, and a great crossing technique. Numan would be worth £80m+ in today's market.

Met him in a club in Glasgow the night before we played them. Ended up in his booth all night with him and Mols. Tried to impress a lady in the bar by making out i was mates with them. It didn’t work :D

been a while since we had players who could be called world class numan was certainly one -

The best best compliment I can give Arthur Numan is he was the best left back the club have ever had and I’m going back to the early seventies up to present. He was also a class act off the park too.

Probably the rangers player I’ve met the most.

Ticks every box IMO for a foreign signing, played with heart, bought into the culture, fulfilled his potential and put the club before himself.

A rare breed!

Numan was a great player and a gentleman. I played roulette with him while chatting to him. He was with Moles and big Bert

Sat right beside him at a under 18’s cup final at the piggery in 02, Got him to sign the back of my Netherlands home top that I’d bought that day, He signed it and I said thanks, He said your welcome and said a name that wasn’t mine, I wipped it off to check the back and he burst out laughing. He’s a gentleman with a good sense of humour. :))

Think it was 75%.

Numan said prior to talks he’d be willing to take a 25% cut because he knew of the issues the club was facing.

Bain turned around and offered a 75% reduction, to ultimately get him to turn down the contract offer, at least, that’s how Numan feels.

My memory is they had shaken hands on a cut (think it was 25% as you say) and then when he turned up to sign the contract it was a 75% reduction.

Numan quite rightly told Bain to shove it.

A great example of a genuinely top class (World class) pro.

Great ability, impeccable fitness and stamina, total focus and utterly professional.

Would always have been the first name on the team sheet if I’d been manager.

Yes, I was a fan :))

Pretty sure he lived in Hamilton on the road out to Ferniegair.

He was definitely a member of the Esporta gym down at The Palace Grounds.

I was in the pool one day and Numan comes out the changing area and walks down the side of the pool towards the steam room.

Cue every woman in the pool gasping and swimming into each other, the side of the pool, etc as they stared at him….. he is built like a middleweight boxer.

Met him in the Club Deck at a game against that lot.

Knew a song or ten ;)
I mind he was on Tam Cowan's show a number of years ago and said he got slightly mixed up after someone taught him one of the songs and he walked into the dressing room singing, to the tune of the Seven Dwarves, "hi ho, hi ho, we are the billy boys".

I mind he was on Tam Cowan's show a number of years ago and said he got slightly mixed up after someone taught him one of the songs and he walked into the dressing room singing, to the tune of the Seven Dwarves, "hi ho, hi ho, we are the billy boys".
I think he said similar in an interview with the old Rangers Monthly where he said he was in with the away support in his first season when injured and he was getting "Arthur, Arthur give us a song" and he shouted "the one about the seven dwarves" :))

Back