Offensive Behaviour at Football Act

ParagonofVirtue

I see that’s the MSP’s voted to get this repealed.

As has been warned just watch the new legislation tackle Rangers songs and Rangers songs only.

Celtic’s IRA songs will be deemed political, and allowed, mark my words.

On a side note this was on my BBC app and no surprises that every single picture used in the piece was of Ibrox.

As has been warned just watch the new legislation tackle Rangers songs and Rangers songs only.

On a side note this was on my BBC app and no surprises that every single picture used in the piece was of Ibrox.

I don't think that will happen but say it did.

What action (legally) could Rangers supporters take to get it changed?

Is there a court in Scotland/UK/EU who can overrule Holyrood policy - could Club 1872 or others MSPs theoretically acting on behalf of the Rangers support raise a case in one of these courts?

I'll watch this with a very close eye, the recent shift in demographics and politics of this country is bordering on sectarian to target the largest group of the population.

We know what the bigoted snp are willing to do to achieve their goal.

I don't see it being replaced by anything new, the old / exiting laws were always in place to deal with real law-breaking issues, the Offensive behaviour shite was always just a political tool to say "look at us, were doing things". A bit like all the "we need new laws on acid attacks" political posturing, existing laws are there, just use them correctly.

I don't see it being replaced by anything new, the old / exiting laws were always in place to deal with real law-breaking issues, the Offensive behaviour shite was always just a political tool to say "look at us, were doing things". A bit like all the "we need new laws on acid attacks" political posturing, existing laws are there, just use them correctly.

Don't bet on that, people like James Dornan have other thoughts. The same Dornan that voted for ill phils blogs to win an award.

The vote doesn't take place until next Thursday.

MSPs on the Justice Committee have recommended OBFA's repeal.

New legislation will not be required because Rangers supporters have been arrested since 2003 under section 74 of the Criminal Justice Act.

Chants including any mention of '19th Century Terrorist' or 'FTP' and subsequently TFIOWDYGH were deemed unlawful and specifically targeted by police.

OBFA criminalised songs like 'Roll of Honour' which explicitly linked the original IRA with post-60s Irish Republican terror groups. Songs celebrating the original IRA and Irish Republicanism in general have never been criminalised.

Under OBFA, our supporters have been arrested for singing songs celebrating the UVF (even the 'old UVF').

I'm not aware of a press report documenting successful prosecution of anyone mocking the Ibrox Disaster or chanting 'Orange b*****d' or 'FTQ'.

The survey repeatedly cited by the SNP showing public support for OBFA also showed that the word 'Hun' was believed to be as offensive as the word '19th Century Terrorist'.

Yet, one leads to arrest on the grounds that it directly insults a 'religious group' while the other is simply ignored.

All legislation relating to behaviour surrounding Scottish football has been framed by politicians and interpreted by police and prosecutors principally to target our support.

Poor drafting of OBFA meant that for once Celtic supporters were also subject to arrest and this has obviously been problematic for those within the politics/media/legal complex who see and wish to portray sectarianism in Scotland as a one-way street.

If political songs are deemed OK then we just need to swap ‘the Pope and the IRA’ for ‘Sturgeon and the SNP’. I think our support could accommodate that.

For mentally challengeds, by mentally challengeds

It's not at the football that the poet sectarianism begins its on the periphery of society.

Young lad getn slashed, people getn attacked on trains or in train stations, outside pubs and inside even. These arseholes that make up these laws huvnae one fuukin clue in their heids. Might as well bury their heids in the sand.

Ridiculous piece of legislation. On another note, nice to see support for independence falling still :)

MSP on the news this morning said the bill was flawed as it did not define sectarianism.

I’ll be surprised if they don’t come back with a new bill which attempts to focus on “ftps” while excluding “political expression“ (ie support for republic terrorist murder groups)

MSP on the news this morning said the bill was flawed as it did not define sectarianism.

I’ll be surprised if they don’t come back with a new bill which attempts to focus on “ftps” while excluding “political expression“ (ie support for republic terrorist murder groups)

Support ?, it'll be guaranteed that those who sing about them will be members. Scum of the earth.

I thought Celtic fans want to get this scrapped?

Why have they been in touch with the sponsors of the Florida cup and grassing to the rags about that lassie singing the Billy boys???

I thought Celtic fans want to get this scrapped?

Why have they been in touch with the sponsors of the Florida cup and grassing to the rags about that lassie singing the Billy boys???

They did.

Singing "The Billy Boys" led to arrests long before OBFA and will continue to do so after it is scrapped.

It was borne out of a knee-jerk reaction to the Scottish Cup game in 2011 as a sign that the Scottish Government were doing something to tackle "sectarianism" and as a result was the most unlawful, inconsistently applied and dangerous act in Scottish political history. I'm delighted it's been removed.

The vote doesn't take place until next Thursday.

MSPs on the Justice Committee have recommended OBFA's repeal.

New legislation will not be required because Rangers supporters have been arrested since 2003 under section 74 of the Criminal Justice Act.

Chants including any mention of '19th Century Terrorist' or 'FTP' and subsequently TFIOWDYGH were deemed unlawful and specifically targeted by police.

OBFA criminalised songs like 'Roll of Honour' which explicitly linked the original IRA with post-60s Irish Republican terror groups. Songs celebrating the original IRA and Irish Republicanism in general have never been criminalised.

Under OBFA, our supporters have been arrested for singing songs celebrating the UVF (even the 'old UVF').

I'm not aware of a press report documenting successful prosecution of anyone mocking the Ibrox Disaster or chanting 'Orange b*****d' or 'FTQ'.

The survey repeatedly cited by the SNP showing public support for OBFA also showed that the word 'Hun' was believed to be as offensive as the word '19th Century Terrorist'.

Yet, one leads to arrest on the grounds that it directly insults a 'religious group' while the other is simply ignored.

All legislation relating to behaviour surrounding Scottish football has been framed by politicians and interpreted by police and prosecutors principally to target our support.

Poor drafting of OBFA meant that for once Celtic supporters were also subject to arrest and this has obviously been problematic for those within the politics/media/legal complex who see and wish to portray sectarianism in Scotland as a one-way street.

pleased to say Bears have won cases regarding the Ulster Volunteer Force 1913

I'll watch this with a very close eye, the recent shift in demographics and politics of this country is bordering on sectarian to target the largest group of the population.

We know what the bigoted snp are willing to do to achieve their goal.

Not really sure how you can blame the SNP for this one.

They want the legislation to stay. It's the other parties trying to bin it.

They have a problem in defining sectarian. It does not only apply to religion.
But on that matter, it could be argued by some that there is sectarian singing on BBC 1 at 4.30 every Sunday.

They have a problem in defining sectarian. It does not only apply to religion.
But on that matter, it could be argued by some that there is sectarian singing on BBC 1 at 4.30 every Sunday.

Absolutely.

The act applies to anything that could be deemed "offensive" - calling the ref blind, the other team's keeper a wanker or the away team's fans cnts.

No team has been more adversely affected by the act than Rangers fans.

Was James Kelly not one of the biggest supporters of the OBFA and also a signatory to it? Now he wants rid of it, I also want this shit scrapped but the reason the mentally challengeds want it to go is that it targets them which wasn't supposed to happen.
When it goes it will probably be replaced by strict liability and then they will be back on song in prosecuting Rangers fans only which was the purpose of the OBFA.

The SNP sends trade envoys to IRAN to kiss ass and beg for trade deals (please verify this for yourself) thereby legitimizing and supporting the regime and its values; and neither the SNP nor Nil By Mouth nor any other virtue signallers raise any objection to a World Cup in Qatar or Scotland's participation.

Why no noises? Because neither Qatar nor Iran fall into the "legitimate target for faux outrage" category. Rangers do.

The crass hypocrisy is staggering and most are too unaware to understand the extent of it.

The problem with the bill is it affected all fans , they didn’t think it out enough . A new bill will come out targeting the fans of one club

It was borne out of a knee-jerk reaction to the Scottish Cup game in 2011 as a sign that the Scottish Government were doing something to tackle "sectarianism" and as a result was the most unlawful, inconsistently applied and dangerous act in Scottish political history. I'm delighted it's been removed.
That game was blown out of all proportion. The ref handled the game poorly. He shouldn’t have sent Whittaker off but technically he was correct (two fouls, two yellows in the space of a few minutes), Boogie’s wasn’t even a foul and Diouf was sent off after the final whistle for nothing. The shoving match between Ally and that ginger piece of shit would never have happened if the red had done his job and sent it to the stands earlier in the game.

The Offensive Rangers in Football Act will follow shortly.

We really need to get Nikla out of office in Hollyrood

The recent desecration of the murders of Protestant workers at Kingsmill will have opened a few eyes. The murders were sheer and utter sectarianism. That's just one example of the IRA's sectarianism.

The murder of youngsters in Warrington was a example of sheer and utter racism. Killed just because they were English. That's just one example of the IRA's racism.

Don't let them forget it. Don't let us forget it.

Create a hue and cry at any attempt to politicise sectarianism and racism.

They did.

Singing "The Billy Boys" led to arrests long before OBFA and will continue to do so after it is scrapped.
Singing the billy boys upset wee joke mcandle and the RC Labour Party. He came after us while ignoring his own party’s song list.

The problem with the bill is it affected all fans , they didn’t think it out enough . A new bill will come out targeting the fans of one club
do you know of any Partick Thistle supporters that were jailed for singing. Come to think of it do you know any scum ?

what will actually change once this is scrapped? i dont think think it will affect us really, we still wont be able to sing sectarian songs without getting the jail. so what was the whole point of having the act / not having the act??

The Offensive Rangers in Football Act will follow shortly.

We really need to get Nikla out of office in Hollyrood

Not an SNP fan by any means, but the SNP don't want the Act dropped.

do you know of any Partick Thistle supporters that were jailed for singing. Come to think of it do you know any scum ?

Celtic fans were caught under that Act. That's one reason it's being dropped.

That's what you get when you have a succession of chairmen and their boards ignoring the politics and hatred surrounding the club.

As far as I'm aware this website hit cyperspace in 1999, but it really went lie in 2000 and some fans have banged on about it ever since.

And God only knows what Liewell and his pal Delaney are doing behind the scenes at UEFA.

Our "sectarian ones" are political too, just leave out the FTP part.

Back