Okay, let’s call it what it is..... it’s cheating.

tazzabear

I am getting really pissed off with the amount of time wasting I’m seeing from our opposition in, pretty much, every game we play in.
Mostly from goalkeepers when taking a goal kick.
Today was amongst the worst I’ve seen.
From before we scored, the Hamilton keeper, and his team mates, were at it.
At one point the player stopped the ball at the goal-line/penalty area junction and made his way upfield and making his goalkeeper come from the other side of the goal to get the ball to walk all the way back before wasting another minute taking the kick.
Disgusting, and referees continually allow it to happen.
Now, some fans will tell me it’s part of the game, it’s gamesmanship, we do it as well, etc. etc.
I don’t care, it’s not the above, it’s cheating.
Okay, I read a few months back that FIFA are going to change the duration of a game and make it sixty minutes of playing time.
Apparently, the ball is in play for an average of fifty-seven minutes per game.
I really hope this one comes to pass and eliminates this particular cheat.

Every time we knocked the ball out for a goal kick last week at Dundee (which was a lot) it was at least 35 seconds until the ball was kicked. Ball in hand the keeper was taking about 15 seconds when the rule is 6 seconds.
It is cheating and the referees only ever try to do anything about it after about 85 minutes. Also, they never add more time on in injury time when they get up to it there.

It isn’t just our games, but it doesn’t help football as a spectacle.

The ball in play for 57 mins? That is mental.
Just goes to show that "stoppage time" at the end of the 90 is a complete farce and the refs just pluck a number out of thin air..

The game v the sheep they did it from the minute they scored, goalie was ripping the pish. The ref never even bothered doing the half hearted point at his watch, when he should in fact have have been warned, then booked.

Guaranteed the first goalie to be booked for it at Ibrox will be McGregor.

I always think time should get added on for it but if it's the team who have been timewasting who need a goal late on, the ref should be able to ignore the additional time added.

We've been stung in past by a timewasting team equalising in the injury time they created with their timewasting.

It's even worse when they are 1 - 0 down and they are still time wasting...
Hamilton player had a head knock in our box... wouldn't walk off the park for treatment... ref points to his watch to signal he's adding the time on, why is he doing that when it's Hamilton wasting time when they are getting beaten ?

Pump these teams as we should be doing and it's not an issue.
No, it’s an issue.
It’s not just the result here.
Consider this, okay we have our own priorities but, what is your view when your watching another game where you’ll be looking more to be entertained as opposed to just wanting the points?
Is behaviour like that I’ve described likely to win the Scottish game any friends?

Let’s hope the 60 minute rule isn’t introduce then eh?

It’s hardly going to get Hamilton to “up their game”, it’ll just mean we all get home at about quarter to 8.

The recent Ibrox game against Kilmarnock was the worst I've ever seen. What was worse was the referee aiding and abetting it

No, it’s an issue.
It’s not just the result here.
Consider this, okay we have our own priorities but, what is your view when your watching another game where you’ll be looking more to be entertained as opposed to just wanting the points?
Is behaviour like that I’ve described likely to win the Scottish game any friends?

I get what you're saying tazza.

My point is if we're 3-0 up it makes no difference if the opposition wastes time or not.

I can't think of any game where I'm looking to be entertained more than taking the 3 points.

I get what you're saying tazza.

My point is if we're 3-0 up it makes no difference if the opposition wastes time or not.

I can't think of any game where I'm looking to be entertained more than taking the 3 points.
That was my point to you.
I don’t care if the rest of the season entertains me as much as today, so long as the result is the same, for Rangers.

The ball in play for 57 mins? That is mental.
Just goes to show that "stoppage time" at the end of the 90 is a complete farce and the refs just pluck a number out of thin air..

All dependant on what’s still to play for and what teams are still playing for it.

I would actively encourage it when we are a goal to the good against the filth, it's hardly a new phenomenon and something good teams have to combat.
Strikes me as the Wenger bemoaning the playing style of the old Bolton side

I am getting really pissed off with the amount of time wasting I’m seeing from our opposition in, pretty much, every game we play in.
Mostly from goalkeepers when taking a goal kick.
Today was amongst the worst I’ve seen.
From before we scored, the Hamilton keeper, and his team mates, were at it.
At one point the player stopped the ball at the goal-line/penalty area junction and made his way upfield and making his goalkeeper come from the other side of the goal to get the ball to walk all the way back before wasting another minute taking the kick.
Disgusting, and referees continually allow it to happen.
Now, some fans will tell me it’s part of the game, it’s gamesmanship, we do it as well, etc. etc.
I don’t care, it’s not the above, it’s cheating.
Okay, I read a few months back that FIFA are going to change the duration of a game and make it sixty minutes of playing time.
Apparently, the ball is in play for an average of fifty-seven minutes per game.
I really hope this one comes to pass and eliminates this particular cheat.

Changing the game to 60 mins won't stop time wasting it will only mean even less than 57 minutes will have the ball in play. The only way to stop it is go the American route and stop the clock while the ball is not in play therefore it won't start until the keeper kicks it and starts the clock again meaning time wasting would be pointless.

Should bring back Herrera. He was cracking at getting the ball for the opponents to help speed up goal kicks :)

We should implement multiball, that will help

Changing the game to 60 mins won't stop time wasting it will only mean even less than 57 minutes will have the ball in play. The only way to stop it is go the American route and stop the clock while the ball is not in play therefore it won't start until the keeper kicks it and starts the clock again meaning time wasting would be pointless.
Thats the point og the 60 minute game mate. A stop clock

The referees are facilitating this cheating. They pretend they are looking the other way all the time and I don’t believe it goes on to the same extend elsewhere.

As soon as we go behind you know your afternoons entertainment is ruined by the endless time wasting.

If teams want to waste time when we are already winning, I really couldn't care less. I hate when they do it when they are in front and we are desperately chasing a winner.

The recent Ibrox game against Kilmarnock was the worst I've ever seen. What was worse was the referee aiding and abetting it

This.

Kilmarnock were 10 times worse than Hamilton.

When we played Aberdeen, the ball went out for a throw in after 30 seconds. The Aberdeen player got the ball, put it back down and pulled his socks up [which were up anyway].

This shows us that they all fear us and are using every trick they can to try and give them an edge.

We are on the right track.

Last edited:
Their goalkeeper was wasting time from the 1st minute today. We are paying £30 + per game and being short changed on entertainment.

If they changed the rule back to goal kicks being taken from the side the ball went out, it would cut down some of it. In the second half, at least, the Accies keeper took the kicks from the opposite side the ball went out.

The game v the sheep they did it from the minute they scored, goalie was ripping the pish. The ref never even bothered doing the half hearted point at his watch, when he should in fact have have been warned, then booked.

Yup, when we're winning 2-1 on the 29th with 5minutes to go.

As I read it, this is exactly the idea.

If teams want to waste time when we are already winning, I really couldn't care less. I hate when they do it when they are in front and we are desperately chasing a winner.
Consider, and today is not the best example, if we were chasing the goal difference.

Like our keeper wouldn’t do that aye right ,if we were up against the tims think he would do the same . Has done it Europe. It’s what happens in our game not cheating but it up to the ref to do something about it. Same as the keeper got six seconds soon as he picks ball up.

Our Ballboys don't exactly help things ticking over :)
It's a Hazardous job
hazard-kicks-ball-boy-ball-boy-gifs.gif

Not sure I follow why stopping the clock needs the game to be 30mins shorter.
I think you get sixty minutes actual playing time which is supposed to be more than you get just now.
A better alternative might be for referees to clamp down on the cheating in the first place.

As frustrating as it is, teams shouldn't have to play the way we want them to. If Hamilton came out as us and didn't slow the game down they would have been on end of a thumping. Finances and ability come in to play, it's not about attractive football it's about winning.They are in a relegation battle and they set out to frustrate us which worked. As mentioned we do it in Europe and will continue to do so as we can't compete with some of bigger leagues.

As frustrating as it is, teams shouldn't have to play the way we want them to. If Hamilton came out as us and didn't slow the game down they would have been on end of a thumping. Finances and ability come in to play, it's not about attractive football it's about winning.They are in a relegation battle and they set out to frustrate us which worked. As mentioned we do it in Europe and will continue to do so as we can't compete with some of bigger leagues.
So, cheating is okay then?
I'm not talking of defensive tactics here.
Where does this acceptance of cheating stop?
Dow we start allowing players to foul when a better player outplays you?

So, cheating is okay then?
I'm not talking of defensive tactics here.
Where does this acceptance of cheating stop?
Dow we start allowing players to foul when a better player outplays you?

It's not cheating in my opinion.

If we come up against someone like say Messi or Mbappe in future, I'd fully hope we kicked them up in air as often as possible and time wasted. Our players obviously aren't of that calibre but are superior to Hamilton so I don't blame them.

Every time we knocked the ball out for a goal kick last week at Dundee (which was a lot) it was at least 35 seconds until the ball was kicked. Ball in hand the keeper was taking about 15 seconds when the rule is 6 seconds.
It is cheating and the referees only ever try to do anything about it after about 85 minutes. Also, they never add more time on in injury time when they get up to it there.

It isn’t just our games, but it doesn’t help football as a spectacle.
I agree with you. It's a complete bore.
At one point vs scumdee the ball was knocked over for a bye at the corner flag and the scumdee player left the ball just behind the line and the keeper walker over to recover it before getting into footer mode as part of his punt it preparation

Watching players sprint to the ball just so they can stand in front of it or pick it up and walk away with it after a free kick has been awarded is one of the things that boils my piss the most about football.

As soon as a free kick is taken, the opposition players should immediately retreat 10 yards and referees should book any player who doesn’t.

The rules are already there to prevent timewasting. They just don’t get used because it’s now known as “game management”, which is only a thing because referees allow it.

I'm sure he's already been booked for this when he wasn't even time wasting.

Teams do it at Ibrox from the first minute. Should be clamped down on because it devalues our product even more than it is.

If Hamilton had got an equaliser in around 70 mins we'd have had a max 5 mins playing time to get a winner.

Two halfs of 30 mins with the clock stopped when the ball is out of play would stop this shit completely without reducing the actual playing time. Would need another official as time keeper, so we're assuming a Scottish referee can work a stopwatch as they can't do much else.

It is annoying but Shagger is "guilty" of it as well. It was especially noticeable in Europe this season and Villareal in particular. Annoying when other teams do it but to be honest, we won't complain if we're the side that is doing the time wasting. Put it this way, if we are ahead on Wednesday/ Boxing Day or on the 29th, are many of us going to complain?

I'm saying this as an advocate of the stop clock idea as well but even then you can still time waste in those conditions if you are cute about it

I mean it’s frustrating as fuck but I’d hardly call it cheating or disgusting like the OP.

It’s players falling over at the slightest contact that’s cheating. Aberdeen are the worst, especially Shinnie, and the referees are determined to make football a non contact sport, unless it’s Rangers’ player being fouled in the penalty box. Against Hamilton, Arfield was shoved in the back and lost his footing and was unable to stop the ball going out for a bye kick. Although they would be soft penalties, it would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch. There are examples in every game, but if the referees are determined to keep slowing down the game by giving free kicks for the slightest contact, they can’t have a different criteria because it happens to be in the penalty box.

I don’t see it as cheating any more than passing the ball around the back four to use up some clock but franky it’s the fans that are the ones being robbed of game time.

If you more strictly enforced the time wasting rule, stopped teams taking the ball to the corner, stopped defenders shepherding the ball out etc you’d have a better product overall.

If a goalkeeper deliberately time wastes taking a goal kick it shouldn’t be a yellow card, it should be switched to a corner. That would sort it pretty quickly.

Back