Olympiakos v Villa & Thursday's other football

Ending Bayern's run will make them a neutral's favourite for a generation in most cases.
I would have supported any Italian team anyway.

My mates have all jumped on the Leverkusen wank-fest the past few months, so really hoping Atalanta can do it but I suspect it’ll be a bridge too far.

My teeth aren’t as curly about losing to Benfica now.

We wouldn’t have got past Atalanta - they’re a very good side.

The final should be a great game.

Frankly a ridiculously poor season for English clubs in Europe. Two months ago you would have got pretty short odds on Manchester City for the CL, Liverpool the ECL, and Villa the ECL. The latter two in particular should have been a shoe in.

How much do you think Olympiacos make each year in revenue? Can't be more than us, surely? If they can put together a team on our budget and make a top 4 team in the EPL this season look very ordinary, then the question is, can we put together a team like theirs? Or is this a 1 off? Pretty much what people would've been saying about us when we got the the final in 22? Putting Dortmund to the sword away from home, and finishing the job at Ibrox. I know they are in a lesser competition but Villa have been fantastic this season and they've swept them aside without any problems. Olympiacos have been decent for a few years now.

How much do you think Olympiacos make each year in revenue? Can't be more than us, surely? If they can put together a team on our budget and make a top 4 team in the EPL this season look very ordinary, then the question is, can we put together a team like theirs? Or is this a 1 off? Pretty much what people would've been saying about us when we got the the final in 22? Putting Dortmund to the sword away from home, and finishing the job at Ibrox. I know they are in a lesser competition but Villa have been fantastic this season and they've swept them aside without any problems. Olympiacos have been decent for a few years now.

I hope the Greeks can pull it off but it looks like a one off really.

As far as i can tell because any financial info for them is hard to come by, their entire teams budget so staff and players was around 40 million euros according to their president.

Ours is about 70 million euros.

Olympiakos have a much higher budget than any other team in Greece though and usually win the league more often than not, 22 titles in 27 years.

Frankly a ridiculously poor season for English clubs in Europe. Two months ago you would have got pretty short odds on Manchester City for the CL, Liverpool the ECL, and Villa the ECL. The latter two in particular should have been a shoe in.

Depends what you class as a shoe in, weren’t as short as you think:

I wouldn’t have gone near Villa at the price.

Last edited:
They've just won the UEFA Youth League a couple of weeks back too, beating AC Milan 3-0 in the final.

Seems like they're well placed to be a side worth watching for the next few years.

49 games unbeaten, 40 wins and 9 draws, simply sensational.
Saw a tweet from Kerryfail saying Celtic hold the record for going 69 games unbeaten from 2016-2017.

Obviously conveniently choosing to ignore the absolute pumpings handed out by PSG and others in that time

Talksport last night post-matches was gold

West Ham fan bubbling about Leverkusen scoring late so much "its a fix"
followed by a Villa fan having a pop at Cundy & O'hara despite them saying Villa deserved 4th in the EPL - before moaning about injuries (at which point they reeled off the line-up last night and its pretty close to a full strength XI)

Back