Olympiakos v Villa & Thursday's other football

Talksport last night post-matches was gold

West Ham fan bubbling about Leverkusen scoring late so much "its a fix"
followed by a Villa fan having a pop at Cundy & O'hara despite them saying Villa deserved 4th in the EPL - before moaning about injuries (at which point they reeled off the line-up last night and its pretty close to a full strength XI)
Would actually listen to that garbage for once sounds interesting.

Remember the guy at Hull, Brown or something that done the team talk on the pitch, he had a similar run as Emery at Villa, managers can be totally overrated cos of nice run of form a bit of luck and pundits blowing their beans about a result against Spurs, Everton and Palace.

Im glad they will be in the CL as it is new team and Villa has quite a loyal support for a team that never wins anything, but if they were outplayed and clueless tactically last night.. well.....

Remember the guy at Hull, Brown or something that done the team talk on the pitch, he had a similar run as Emery at Villa, managers can be totally overrated cos of nice run of form a bit of luck and pundits blowing their beans about a result against Spurs, Everton and Palace.

Im glad they will be in the CL as it is new team and Villa has quite a loyal support for a team that never wins anything, but if they were outplayed and clueless tactically last night.. well.....

Are you comparing Unai Emery with Phil Brown?

Emery has won the EL 4 times.

Jim White has been calling them Bayern for a few weeks as well.
He’s a fanny. Was literally talking about them on his show this morning talking about how they have beat Benfica’s unbeaten record then said oh and I see they are in the German cup final aswell so their season is better than I expected.

Well Jim how do they get to the final losing a game ya fucking tosspot. Also got a Frimpong once of the Glasgow Celtic in aswell the tit.

He’s a fanny. Was literally talking about them on his show this morning talking about how they have beat Benfica’s unbeaten record then said oh and I see they are in the German cup final aswell so their season is better than I expected.

Well Jim how do they get to the final losing a game ya fucking tosspot. Also got a Frimpong once of the Glasgow Celtic in aswell the tit.

It will be interesting if they lose the final on pens mind, can look at it from different angles really as to whether it’s classed as an unbeaten season still. I’d see it as a loss as in the cups I base it all on who qualifies but if they lost last night 2-1 say they’d still have gone through.

Nah no really Brown was great tv and had fascinating views on the game Emery is quite dull.

Its interesting that when they win he is a great manager and when they lose its the players or they done well to get that far in a 3rd competition.
There isnt much debate that Emery is a great manager. A cursory look at his record would bear testimony to that.

Emery has won multiple European trophies. Phil Brown was big Sam’s right hand man :))

There isnt much debate that Emery is a great manager. A cursory look at his record would bear testimony to that.
He is taking Villa to the CL. That’s an absolute outstanding achievement considering when he arrived they were in a relegation fight. Be interesting to see what kind of quality they get in the summer with CL football. Was surprised that Newcastle never really kicked on as a result of qualifying this season.

I’d be inclined to put that down to players who are inexperienced in Europe rather than a multiple time Europa League winning manager who had a team in the Champions League semi finals very recently.

Olympiakos play in European group stages almost every season.

Nah no really Brown was great tv and had fascinating views on the game Emery is quite dull.

Its interesting that when they win he is a great manager and when they lose its the players or they done well to get that far in a 3rd competition.
What fascinating views on the game did he have?

He is currently managing Kidderminster Harriers ffs :))

I’d be inclined to put that down to players who are inexperienced in Europe rather than a multiple time Europa League winning manager who had a team in the Champions League semi finals very recently.

They look a tired team imo. Their form has definitely dipped towards the end of the season and Olympiakos had the weekend off whilst Villa had to go full strength looking to get that CL place.

They look a tired team imo. Their form has definitely dipped towards the end of the season and Olympiakos had the weekend off whilst Villa had to go full strength looking to get that CL place.

They look absolutely knackered. Like I said last week a few of them will be glad/not too bothered they are out of that with the Euros ahead. I reckon they are going to make top 4 only by City beating Spurs when you look at the fixtures the two have left.

They look absolutely knackered. Like I said last week a few of them will be glad/not too bothered they are out of that with the Euros ahead. I reckon they are going to make top 4 only by City beating Spurs when you look at the fixtures the two have left.
Brighton have been poor recently and dominated Villa last weekend. They are definitely feeling the effects of going deep in Europe.

There is something to be said for having some know how in Europe. This run will stand the Villa players in good stead for next year.

The Emery/Phil Brown comparison is mental, if serious.

Brighton have been poor recently and dominated Villa last weekend. They are definitely feeling the effects of going deep in Europe.

34 league matches - only one matchday being midweek and no League Cup for Leverkusen and Dortmund. They’ve both reaped the benefits clearly.

Possibly. Two tough games tbf although I’ve seen videos of Spurs fans singing a rewording of City till I die to City to July so those fannies certainly don’t deserve CL football :))

How much do you think Olympiacos make each year in revenue? Can't be more than us, surely? If they can put together a team on our budget and make a top 4 team in the EPL this season look very ordinary, then the question is, can we put together a team like theirs? Or is this a 1 off? Pretty much what people would've been saying about us when we got the the final in 22? Putting Dortmund to the sword away from home, and finishing the job at Ibrox. I know they are in a lesser competition but Villa have been fantastic this season and they've swept them aside without any problems. Olympiacos have been decent for a few years now.

Our Seville team would scud Olympiakos.

Also keen to hear some of Brown's "fascinating views" on the game @Thornliebank_Bear
That's a lot of hard work gone under the water, under the bridge.

The players have got to know that we are not firing at them by the seat of our pants.

If that's foreign strength or that's English strength, it doesn't matter to me

If we stand still, we're going backwards. We've got to keep moving forward and appear to be moving forward

They know, in that changing room, that the strength is that changing room

The way they questioned my decisions was absolutely disgraceful

(Reaction to the booing against Leicester City after Peschisolido was substituted)

Inigo limped out of training but it was a precautionary limp out.

Stern is a goalscorer but did not score for us in seven games.

We've got 8 points from 4 games. That's automatic promotion form.

His Prozone stats are often in the 80s, 90s.

At this moment in time, it's pointing in the direction that the players aren't good enough, to be able to (i) take on the instructions that we give them and (ii) deal with the situation when the pressure is turned up - and it's disappointing. OK, there's a disappointing group of players in there but you keep on shooting yourself in the foot week in and week out. Something has to change.

It's my job not always to put square pegs in square holes but sometimes to put the odd square peg in a round hole

His manager is a former player of Derby County and is recommending that Derby County is the place to be, that guy being Mikkel Beck. He speaks very highly of me. It's ongoing again. These scenarios take time.

I have spoken to the referee and I spoke to him like a man.

He will hopefully bring a mentality in both penalty boxes.

Nick has thrown his hat into the ring and I've had a long chat with him. Dean Marney has also thrown his hat into the ring after Saturday. The more hats there are in the ring, the harder my job is

If you score first, you have a 75 per cent chance of not losing the game. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that you have to get off to a good start and score.

I remember being asked at various stages last season "Would you take 17th place now?". Come the last game of the season, the answer was definitely yes. At the start of the season, then the answer was probably yes. But looking back at the season as a whole, then the answer is probably between yes and no.

That's a lot of hard work gone under the water, under the bridge.

The players have got to know that we are not firing at them by the seat of our pants.

If that's foreign strength or that's English strength, it doesn't matter to me

If we stand still, we're going backwards. We've got to keep moving forward and appear to be moving forward

They know, in that changing room, that the strength is that changing room

The way they questioned my decisions was absolutely disgraceful

(Reaction to the booing against Leicester City after Peschisolido was substituted)

Inigo limped out of training but it was a precautionary limp out.

Stern is a goalscorer but did not score for us in seven games.

We've got 8 points from 4 games. That's automatic promotion form.

His Prozone stats are often in the 80s, 90s.

At this moment in time, it's pointing in the direction that the players aren't good enough, to be able to (i) take on the instructions that we give them and (ii) deal with the situation when the pressure is turned up - and it's disappointing. OK, there's a disappointing group of players in there but you keep on shooting yourself in the foot week in and week out. Something has to change.

It's my job not always to put square pegs in square holes but sometimes to put the odd square peg in a round hole

His manager is a former player of Derby County and is recommending that Derby County is the place to be, that guy being Mikkel Beck. He speaks very highly of me. It's ongoing again. These scenarios take time.

I have spoken to the referee and I spoke to him like a man.

He will hopefully bring a mentality in both penalty boxes.

Nick has thrown his hat into the ring and I've had a long chat with him. Dean Marney has also thrown his hat into the ring after Saturday. The more hats there are in the ring, the harder my job is

If you score first, you have a 75 per cent chance of not losing the game. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that you have to get off to a good start and score.

I remember being asked at various stages last season "Would you take 17th place now?". Come the last game of the season, the answer was definitely yes. At the start of the season, then the answer was probably yes. But looking back at the season as a whole, then the answer is probably between yes and no.
Fascinating stuff :))

Be a bit shit reaching a Euro final and not leaving the family behind whilst you go on the rampage with your mates for a few days imo.

I remember being glad we reached 2008 final and not 2007 Hampden for that very reason.

But I don’t think the Europeans really care as much about that side of it.

They've just won the UEFA Youth League a couple of weeks back too, beating AC Milan 3-0 in the final.

Seems like they're well placed to be a side worth watching for the next few years.
Wow, didn't know that. They'll have a quality team in 3-4 years if the usual suspects don't come in and steal their best young players.

Back