On the very day Rangers competed in a European final in Seville - what article did the Daily Record print?

Right, so if a Scottish team miraculously managed to win the Champions League next season for instance, is Lambert saying that 1967 would still be more impressive?

Do me a favour.

In fact, a Scottish club winning Europe’s secondary tournament nowadays would probably be at least on a par with winning the European Cup in 1967, such is the financial disadvantages now present which simply weren’t there in the Sixties.

It’s a crying shame we didn’t beat Eintracht. The seethe would have been off the scale.

The fact is, no team has ever had an easier run than them in 67. Our win in Barca in 72 was miles more impressive as was the sheep in the early 80's.
Our run to even reach the Europa final this year is without a doubt the greatest achievement by any Scottish team in history given what it takes nowadays.
Celtc however do have the distinction of being the first holders of the EC to be papped out in the next season trying to defend their title... haahhaahaaaahaaa.
I remember Linfield were so unlucky not to make the Semi Finals of the EC in 1966/67

I said at the time, if Celtic had won in Seville in 03 it would have at least been on par with 67 if not more impressive and I'm sure many of their fans would have argued likewise, the way they went on about it seemed losing was just as great as an achievement.

Right, so if a Scottish team miraculously managed to win the Champions League next season for instance, is Lambert saying that 1967 would still be more impressive?

Do me a favour.

In fact, a Scottish club winning Europe’s secondary tournament nowadays would probably be at least on a par with winning the European Cup in 1967, such is the financial disadvantages now present which simply weren’t there in the Sixties.

It’s a crying shame we didn’t beat Eintracht. The seethe would have been off the scale.
It doesn't matter.

They fecking won it.

I said at the time, if Celtic had won in Seville in 03 it would have at least been on par with 67 if not more impressive and I'm sure many of their fans would have argued likewise, the way they went on about it seemed losing was just as great as an achievement.
What I can't get my head around is how Seville has messed with us and the filth?

What I can't get my head around is how Seville has messed with us and the filth?

I was gutted we lost and will always look back fondly on that season, the two week build up after RB Leipzig was epic and unforgettable but that's it for me, I can't imagine stage shows, books and anniversaries every few years and even a Seville suite in hospitality, how has Seville messed with us?

Them winning the EC in the 60's was a fantastic achievement, through gritted teeth, whatever. No one can take it away from them. But let's get things in perspective.

With European competition still in it's infancy then, all clubs still competed on a relatively level playing ground. End of! That scenario is, and has been for a couple of decades now, a million miles removed from the game as it exists . It just is!

Nowadays with the gross disparity in resources which exists today, for any club out with the top leagues to reach a European final, is nothing short of a herculean effort.

The record, or more appropriately some shit scared t im with a laptop to claim otherwise, was simply a predictable and pathetic attempt to deny that.

Do me a favour.

A modern win would be far superior. Hence the need for the filth to put out these puff pieces ahead of Seville '22.

Nail on the head, the way they went on and on about losing in a tournament they now call a diddy Cup after last Thursday.
Brain ravaged mhutants.

To be fair Mark, thanks to your sterling efforts in providing us Bears with the back pack headlines we don’t need to buy the Rhag.
The Rhebel only have the other side to pander to.
Thank you big yin

Coming within a coin toss of a major European trophy, in the modern era, and you don’t think we’re back?

Inexcusable pessimism, best ignored.

I've met plenty like him, we could have won that trophy and I know plenty that could have sucked the life out of the pleasure of winning it.

I was far more optimistic after we won 55 than I was after we lost in Seville, neither fùcked my mind.

What they all forget and never mention is , If we had VAR in 1967 they wouldn't have won it.,
Maybe not, might be deemed as not interfering with play.
More importantly, by the laws of the game then and for a few decades afterwards, the Celtic player was clearly in an offside position, and should have been penalised, when the shot came in.

Every one of the Lisbon lions including their manager knew what was happening at the boys club , and said nothing , and still say nothing to this day . Let's see the rhecord print that then.....
They won’t . Because they are complicit in the cover up.

Maybe not, might be deemed as not interfering with play.
More importantly, by the laws of the game then and for a few decades afterwards, the Celtic player was clearly in an offside position, and should have been penalised, when the shot came in.
Yes , but if going by the rules then , when you didn't have such a thing as not interfering with play you would have been judged offside , therefore not interfering with play wouldn't / couldn't even have been considered a factor. In those days if you were offside , you were offside. which imo wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring back.

Yes , but if going by the rules then , when you didn't have such a thing as not interfering with play you would have been judged offside , therefore not interfering with play wouldn't / couldn't even have been considered a factor. In those days if you were offside , you were offside. which imo wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring back.
I never knew “interfering” wasn’t always in the rules.
Always was in my day!

I never knew “interfering” wasn’t always in the rules.
Always was in my day!
My apologies , just googled it and you're correct .For some reason I always assumed not interfering with play came into play at a far later stage than its introduction to the rule in 1903. Every days a school day as they say.

On the very day Rangers competed in a European final in Seville - what article did the Daily Record print?

I had gotten papers put aside by my local newsagent when I was in Seville - had a look through them yesterday - the Record didn’t disappoint - one issue had two pages in why Celtic in 1967 would still be more important than Rangers winning in Seville :)

Note that it's source is Paul Lambert, a former Celtic player. Born in 1969 . . .

Also, note that before he signed for Celtic that Paul was a Rangers fan so he's hardly qualified to compare our achievement in getting to this year's final and 1967 when playing a mere 9 games (as opposed to our 19) Celtic came up against a severely weakened Inter, missing their captain Suarez and several others from their staring 11 and squeaked a result courtesy of a deflection and an offside chance.

I for one will be happy if the have to print it again after Dublin and again in the next few years when we achieve things and they dont. But nearly hunnert years ago, when everythin wus made oot eh wood and it aw cost thrupence and wewur Brits we wur the first wans tay dae it.
You have to love the mental gymnastics

Of course it was a great achievement for them. However, football has changed massively since then. Financially, no Scottish club can compete with clubs from the top 5 or 6 European leagues. The size of the tournaments, the amount of rounds you have to get through, and even the bookies odds, suggests that a European trophy win for any Scottish team now would be a greater achievement than their win in 67 or indeed our Cup Winners' Cup in 72.

The teams we beat to win the cup winners cup were far superior to the crap they beat to win the European cup.

Back