On This Day (April 10th)

2011 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 1 (Jelavic) - Scottish Premier League (4,526)

Was this a free kick? I seem to remember him scoring a free kick against Hamilton.

2011 - Hamilton Accies 0 Rangers 1 (Jelavic) - Scottish Premier League (4,526)

Was this a free kick? I seem to remember him scoring a free kick against Hamilton.
Was this not his debut?

A header if I remember correctly

Edit - don't think he would have made his debut in April

1994 - a dreadfully dull game on a sunny sunday afternoon.

We were well and truly looking tired and out of ideas by this stage of the season.

We were well and truly looking tired and out of ideas by this stage of the season.

Just about to post this. Absolute borefest. I was in the family section with loads of Killie fans. Bit of good natured carrying on with the supporters was more entertaining than what was going on out on the pitch.

1982 - crowd seems low for a game at the Piggery. Anyone know why?

2008 - I was on my initial training course for a new job. Watched it in Bissetts in Gullane, which is no longer there. Place was absolutely bouncing. Watched the away leg of the semi in there too before having to literally beg, to be allowed time off for the Final.

Just about to post this. Absolute borefest. I was in the family section with loads of Killie fans. Bit of good natured carrying on with the supporters was more entertaining than what was going on out on the pitch.

Our run of form to the end of the campaign was poor. Apart from the replay did we win another game?

The team was just tired. The cup final defeat was in the post.

Luckily we shook things up in the summer when we signed boli....and some danish guy i think.

1982 - Celtic 2 Rangers 1 (Johnstone) - Scottish Premier Division (49,144)

Think this was the game the chants about Derek Johnstone's wife and Frank McGarvey's wife started. At least, it's the first time I remember them

2008 - I get that he’s understandably not a favourite anymore, but the Whittaker goal in that game is truly one of our great European goals.
Wins the ball in his own half, before beating a couple players and slotting cooly past the keeper.

Our run of form to the end of the campaign was poor. Apart from the replay did we win another game?

Luckily we shook things up in the summer when we signed boli....and some danish guy i think.

We won our next 2 in the League. The next game was when big Dunc got done over the incident with that cheating swine McStay. Never won any of our last 5 in the league.

Was just looking there, we only won half of our league games that year, although we were also unbeaten in 22 games (all competitions) between the end of December and April. Obviously not our best form but that team knew how to get the job done. The Cup final is still a sore point. Got to he one of the poorest Cup Finals ever.

We won our next 2 in the League. The next game was when big Dunc got done over the incident with that cheating swine McStay. Never won any of our last 5 in the league.

Was just looking there, we only won half of our league games that year, although we were also unbeaten in 22 games (all competitions) between the end of December and April. Obviously not our best form but that team knew how to get the job done. The Cup final is still a sore point. Got to he one of the poorest Cup Finals ever.

If it wasnt for Hateley god knows how we would have finished that season.

Semi final replay was Big Hateley's last two goals of the season. After this we beat Raith 4-0 and Dundee United 2-1 and then failed to win any of our last SIX games of the season, scoring only two goals in the process (one of them a heavily deflected Miko effort against Celtic when we were running out of ideas)

Semi final replay was Big Hateley's last two goals of the season. After this we beat Raith 4-0 and Dundee United 2-1 and then failed to win any of our last SIX games of the season, scoring only two goals in the process (one of them a heavily deflected Miko effort against Celtic when we were running out of ideas)

The game where murray had banned the tar.riers from Ibrox.

1954 Before my time but looks a sore one in front of an astonishing crowd.

2008 Simply glorious.

2016 must have been the largest Rangers support at a Hampden Cup Final for a very long time.

Last edited:
2016 Depressing day. Doing a lap of honour after beating Peterhead in the Petrofac Cup. I couldn't help thinking "Is this what we've become?"

2016 Depressing day. Doing a lap of honour after beating Peterhead in the Petrofac Cup. I couldn't help thinking "Is this what we've become?"

I left Hampden that day after I saw Lee Wallace lift the cup, but I had a wee spring in my step. We had won our way back into the top flight on the previous Wednesday, we'd just won a cup and we had that mob to look forward to on the following Sunday in the Scottish Cup semi final. I am never depressed after seeing us win any game.

1982 Turned out to be just a consolation goal but DJ's chest control then volleyed finish was a cracker. At least a stone overweight but still capable of moments of magic.

1996 Hearts had beat us 3-0 at Ibrox with Alan Johnston scoring them all, this was a midweek game a couple months later and he scored again. We cheered up a bit after hearing Celtic had also dropped points.
Those 2 Hearts defeats made many think they had our measure and would beat us in the Cup Final the following month, but The Prince of Denmark had other ideas.

I couldn’t go because I had something to submit for uni... spent the lovely sunny afternoon typing away and listening to an awful game of football on the radio.

Was able to go to the replay... and wished that I’d had another assignment to submit that night as well!

The last couple of months of that season were dreadful really. Not much doubt Rangers would win the title but nothing inspiring on the pitch at all - players were physically & mentally shot.

1982 - Celtic 2 Rangers 1 (Johnstone) - Scottish Premier Division (49,144)

Think this was the game the chants about Derek Johnstone's wife and Frank McGarvey's wife started. At least, it's the first time I remember them
I remember a little ditty about Johnny Doyle at that match as well.

2008. Scary to think that was 13 years ago. What a trip. 5 nights in the Algarve, then bus up for game.
We were all behind the goals howling at Whittaker to pass..Then mayhem when ball hit the net, and we knew we were in the semis.

1954 - Aberdeen 6 Rangers 0 - Scottish Cup Semi-Final (Played at Hampden Park) (110,939)
A shocking result in what would be Bill Struth's final season in charge.
Bridgeton boy Joe O'Neill was the one that did the most damage.
Having suffered a fractured skull just three weeks earlier, and against Doctor's orders,
he declared himself fit, and proceeded to score a Hat trick.

"2016 - Rangers 4 (Tavernier, Halliday Pen, Miller, Gilchrist OG) Peterhead 0 - Scottish Challenge Cup Final (Played at Hampden Park) (48,133)"
I really enjoyed that game. We played well and won the cup. Tav's goal was astonishing. Hampden full of Bears. Now we are the Champions, I see this match as a stepping stone.

Back