On This Day (October 19th)

Sam English

1878 - Whitefield 1 Rangers 6 (Untraced) - Scottish Cup 2nd Round
1889 - Rangers 0 Vale of Leven 0 - Scottish Cup 3rd Round
(8,500)
1895 - Dundee 3 Rangers 2 (Miller,A.Smith) - Friendly
1901 - Hibernian 2 Rangers 3
(Wilkie,R.C.Hamilton Pen,Neil) - Scottish League Division One (12,000)
1907 - Rangers 0 Celtic 0 - Glasgow Cup Final Replay (Played at Hampden Park) (52,000)
1912 - Hibernian 0 Rangers 1 (Reid) - Scottish League Division One (16,000)
1918 - Celtic 0 Rangers 3 (Cairns,Bowie,McDiarmid) - Scottish League Division One (36,000)
1929 - Partick Thistle 0 Rangers 1 (Fleming) - Scottish League Division One (40,000)
1935 - Rangers 1 (Brown) Hearts 1 - Scottish League Division One (26,000)
1937 - Stoke City 0 Rangers 0 - Friendly (30,000)
This match was to raise funds for the Holditch Colliery Disaster Fund and drew a crowd of 30,000 to the Victoria Ground in Stoke.After the game Rangers were presented with the 'Loving Cup', a trophy that had been awarded to all English First Division clubs in honour of King George V's Silver Jubliee.The trophy is brought out at Ibrox at the first game of each year and used to toast the health of the Monarch.
1940 - Rangers 2 (Venters,Duncanson) Albion Rovers 0 - Southern League
1946 - Rangers 1
(Arnison) Queen's Park 0 - League Cup Section B (20,000)
1950 - Billy Simpson was signed from Linfield for £11,500
1957 - Celtic 7 Rangers 1 (Simpson) - League Cup Final (Played At Hampden Park) (82,293)
Although the League Cup was over ten years old, this was the first time that both clubs had met in the final. And, given the result, Rangers could be forgiven for hoping that it would take another ten years before they met their rivals at the same stage again. A crowd of 82,293 witnessed as one-sided match as would be seen for many a year, with celtic attacking at will in a match that was a personal nightmare for Rangers centre-half John Valentine
1960 - Rangers 7 (Brand 3,Millar 2,McMillan,Scott) Queen of the South 0 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played at Celtic Park) (17,000)
1963 - Rangers 3 (Forrst 2,Wilson) East Stirlingshire 1 - Scottish League Division One (20,000)
1966 - Rangers 2 (Henderson 2) Aberdeen 2 - League Cup Semi-Final (Played At Hampden Park) (38,623)
1968 - Rangers 3 (Persson,Jardine,A.Ferguson) Dunfermline Athletic 0 - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1974 - Rangers 3 (Jardine Pen,Fyfe,Johnstone) Clyde 1 - Scottish League Division One (25,000)
1976 - Clydebank 1 Rangers 2 (Parlane,McKean) - League Cup Quarter-Final 2nd Replay (Played at Firhill) (14,000)
1983 - Rangers 2 (Clark,Mitchell) FC Porto 1 - European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (27,800)
1985 - Rangers 1 (Cooper Pen) Hibernian 2 - Scottish Premier Division (23,478)
1986 - Morton 2 Rangers 5 (Fleck,Cooper,McSwegan,Burns,Nisbet) - Friendly (5,000)
This was a testimonial match for Jimmy Simpson and drew a crowd of 5,000 to Cappielow Park
1991 - Rangers 2 (McCoist,Mikhailichenko) Hearts 0 - Scottish Premier Division (36,481)
1996 - Rangers 2 (Gascoigne,Laudrup) Aberdeen 2 - Scottish Premier Division (50,076)
2002 - Rangers 3 (Amoruso,Lovenkrands,R.de Boer) Motherwell 0 - Scottish Premier League (49,376)
2003 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 1 (Arveladze) - Scottish Premier League (10,824)
2005 - Rangers 0 Artmedia Bratislava 0 - European Champions League Group H (49,018)
2006 - Livorno 2 Rangers 3 (Adam,Boyd Pen,Novo) - UEFA Cup Group A (13,200)
2013 - Brechin City 3 Rangers 4 (Daly,Mohsni,Law,Clark) - Scottish League One (3,237)

2006,based ourselves in Pisa which was a bit of a dump.Livorno stadium was a $hithole and it poured with rain the full game.We played really well and deserved the win.

Needless to say very glad to be out of the lower leagues but my visit to Glebe Park in 2013 at least produced a memorable game (let's face it, there weren't that many).

2016: First Scottish team to win away in Italy?

1918 - Celtic 0 Rangers 3 (Cairns,Bowie,McDiarmid) - Scottish League Division One (36,000)

Jimmy Bowie played in the No. 8 jersey scoring the second goal in a good result at the bheggerdome.

Rangers would be Runners-up that season.

1996 - Blew a two goal lead. Thankfully the Tims did likewise the next day at Tynecastle.

1937 - Stoke City 0 Rangers 0 - Friendly (30,000)
This match was to raise funds for the Holditch Colliery Disaster Fund and drew a crowd of 30,000 to the Victoria Ground in Stoke.After the game Rangers were presented with the 'Loving Cup', a trophy that had been awarded to all English First Division clubs in honour of King George V's Silver Jubliee.The trophy is brought out at Ibrox at the first game of each year and used to toast the health of the Monarch.

Jimmy Bowie the Rangers Chairman was presented with the Loving Cup..................

1976 - 4th game of the tie. I didn't get to Firhill that night as my wife was imminently due to have our first daughter and I had used up my allocation of goodwill by going to the game at Ibrox on the previous evening. Waiting for the result to come through from Firhill was a nervous time. Our scorers are recorded but for the record, Davie Cooper scored for the Bankies.

2013 - possibly one of the more memorable games from the 'banter years'. The weather was terrible that day and we came back to win from being two goals behind on two occasions.

1983 Peter McCloy made an absolute mess of their goal, which ultimately knocked us out.

1985 was there a centre half called Stuart Beattie playing for us that day? He might even have scored an o.g.
I work beside his brother.

1983 Peter McCloy made an absolute mess of their goal, which ultimately knocked us out.

I was in the old Centenary Stand that night. We were 2-0 up and in a very solid position until the dying seconds when big Peter decided he fancied a bit of juggling with a high ball from a free kick. It virtually put the final nail into Greig's managerial career. Porto went on to the final that season, just to add salt to the wound,

1996 - Blew a two goal lead. Thankfully the Tims did likewise the next day at Tynecastle.

Not the first time we've done that at Ibrox against that lot, either.

I recall a game in the early 90's when Jim Bett scored two goals (one in the last minute) and another when Laudrup scored from the touchline. It might have been 3-3 that day right enough?

That first game McCoist came off the bench and scored an absolute beauty. Famously the game when The Magnifecent Bastard didnt even twitch when it went in, such was his relationship with Ally at the time.

Not the first time we've done that at Ibrox against that lot, either.

I recall a game in the early 90's when Jim Bett scored two goals (one in the last minute) and another when Laudrup scored from the touchline. It might have been 3-3 that day right enough?

That first game McCoist came off the bench and scored an absolute beauty. Famously the game when The Magnifecent Bastard didnt even twitch when it went in, such was his relationship with Ally at the time.

Done it the following season in 97/98. That's the 3-3 game you're talking about.

2-0 up, pegged back to 2-2, take the lead again (Laudrup from the by-line) only to blow the lead again.

Done it the following season in 97/98. That's the 3-3 game you're talking about.

2-0 up, pegged back to 2-2, take the lead again (Laudrup from the by-line) only to blow the lead again.

Cheers. Ridiculous goal in what was an indifferent season by his standards.

Cheers. Ridiculous goal in what was an indifferent season by his standards.

Incredibly we managed to blow another 2 goal lead the following season at Pittodrie!

2-0 up inside 20 minutes, Scott Wilson then sent off, Sheep bring it back to 2-2, Albertz scores a penalty(I think) and then Kanchelskis with the fourth in injury time that featured a Jim Leighton special as he hared after the linesman screaming abuse at him about a non existent offside

Back