On This Day (October 31st)

Sam English

1874 - Star of Leven 0 Rangers 3 (J.Campbell 2,Watson) - Friendly
1881 - Blackburn Rovers 2 Rangers 2
(Inglis,Pringle) - Friendly (5,000)
1882 - Blackburn Rovers 1 Rangers 1 (Heggie) - Friendly (2,000)
1885 - Rangers 4 (Heggie 3,Untraced) Renton 2 - Friendly
1896 - Rangers 3
(Turnbull 2,A.Smith) Linthouse 0 - Glasgow Cup Semi-Final (6,000)
Linthouse and Rangers had met 11 times prior to their Glasgow Cup semi-final, nine of which had been friendly matches and Linthouse had yet to record anything better than a draw against Rangers. Peter Turnbull scored twice to ensure Linthouse had still not got the better of Rangers, with Alec Smith scoring the other to set up a meeting with Celtic in the final
1903 - Rangers 6 (Walker 2,R.C.Hamilton 2,Mackie,Jeffery OG) Dundee 1 - Scottish League Division One (10,300)
1908 - Rangers 2 (J.Smith,Livingstone) Third Lanark 2 - Scottish League Division One (24,000)
1914 - Celtic 2 Rangers 1 (Reid) - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1925 - Raith Rovers 1 Rangers 0 - Scottish League Division One (10,000)
1931 - Rangers 5 (English 3,Murray 2) Dundee United 0 - Scottish League Division One
1942 - Hearts 0 Rangers 3
(Duncanson 2,Williamson) - Southern League (21,537)
1953 - Rangers 0 Hearts 1 - Scottish League Division One (41,000)
1959 - Rangers 0 Hearts 2 - Scottish League Division One (72,000)
1962 - Tottenham Hotspur 5 Rangers 2 (Henderson,Millar) - European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg (58,859)
For the second time in two years Rangers were pitched against the FA Cup winners. Rangers' confidence was high, especially when they recalled the way they had disposed of Wolves in 1960,but Spurs,it would transpire, were a different proposition altogether. Where as Wolves relied on the direct approach to goal, Spurs' play was all about close intricate passing movements, although Spurs could be deadly from dead ball situations when they needed to. And so it proved at White Hart Lane, with one goal being scored directly from a corner and Rangers seldom seeming to know who to pick up and when. Spurs won in a canter and would also come to Glasgow and win in the second leg
1964 - Rangers 6 (Millar 2,Forrest,Greig,Johnston,Wood) Clyde 1 - Scottish League Division One (35,000)
1968 - Colin Stein was signed from Hibernian for £100,000, the first six figure transfer between Scottish clubs. He was an old fashioned centre-forward, strong, bustling with rather a short fuse. His temperament saw him sent-off several times in his career. His impact on the club was immediate, scoring hat-tricks in his opening games, at Arbroath and home to Hibernian, and that meant instant popularity with the Rangers fans. Stein went on to play 206 games for Rangers, scoring a total of 97 goals, the most memorable being in the European Cup-Winners Cup final in Barcelona in 1972. In October of that year he was transferred to Coventry City for £90,000 plus Quinton Young. He came back to Rangers in February 1975,scoring the vital goa in a 1-1 drawl against Hibernian at Easter Road that secured Rangers' first Championship in eleven years. On loan to Kilmarnock in season 1977/78,Colin Stein was given a free transfer at the end of that season
1970 - Rangers 5 (Johnston 2 1Pen,Stein 2,Conn) Airdrieonians 0 - Scottish League Division One (28,788)
1973 - Rangers 2 (Greig, Scheadler OG) Hibernian 0 - League Cup Quarter-Final 1st Leg (35,000)
1981 - Rangers 0 Partick Thistle 2 - Scottish Premier Division (17,000)
1984 - Rangers 5 (Fleck 2,McCoist,Mitchell,Prytz) New Zealand 0 - Billy McKay Testimonial Match (5,560)
1987 - Rangers 1 (McCoist) Motherwell 0 - Scottish Premier Division (36,583)
1992 - Rangers 4 (McCoist 3 1Pen,Brown) Motherwell 2 - Scottish Premier Division (38,719)
1998 - Rangers 2 (Rod Wallace, Amoruso) Dundee United 1 - Scottish Premier League (49,503)
2000 - Rangers 2 (Miller, Ferguson) Dundee United 0 - League Cup Quarter-Final (30.966)
2004 - Rangers 5 (Thompson, Lovenkrands, Novo 2 1Pen,Ricksen) Aberdeen 0 - Scottish Premier League (48,918)
2007 - Motherwell 1 Rangers 2 (Novo ,Boyd) - League Cup Quarter-Final (9,283)
2012 - Rangers 0 Inverness CT 3 - League Cup Quarter-Final (28,033)
2018 - Rangers 1 (Morelos) Kilmarnock 1 - Scottish Premiership (49,279)

Was my 12th birthday and signing Stein really caught my imagination and ignited my interest in going to Ibrox.
My Dads brother used to take me when I was younger but while I enjoyed going the actual games probably passed me by.
Nagged my parents incessantly to be allowed to go to games and eventually was allowed to go with my mate Dougie, he was a Jags supporter so alternate games most Saturdays.
Wonder how many 12 yo's go now without an adult?

1998 - Amoruso booed by a huge section of the support after an avoidable mistake for their goal. Ended up scoring the winner.

2000 - Barry's first game as captain after Amoruso was stripped of the captaincy the day before.

2004 - The Sheep came down giving it the big one about what they were going to do us that day, after beating that lot at Parkhead in midweek.

2004 - one thing I always remember about this game was the pa system trying to make an announcement for the Aberdeen supporters only for the whole of Ibrox to drown it out with boo's :D

1962 , my Dad always spoke of this trip and the journey from the east end of Glasgow to London in a mini bus sitting on a wooden bench. One of the best sides in Europe Spurs were at that time, we were well beaten home and away.

2007 the vermin got knocked out at home by Hearts. Future Rangers striker Velicka scored the goals I think.

I think that was the same year but previous season if that
I think that was the same year but previous season if that makes sense.
Yep that’s right, the game your talking about and posted by @Ubik above was in March/April time. I actually missed that game as our supporters bus driver decided to go to Ibrox via the M8 that day from EK,we hit Glasgow X at 3pm. So me and my Dad ( who was fuming? went to watch the resreves beat the filth at the piggery, so not a bad day out.

1998 was the game that turned Amoruso's Rangers career around. Badly at fault for their goal, constantly booed by most of us after that (myself included unfortunately) then rolled his sleeves up, scored a late winner and grew into the Lorenzo we all love today. Sorry big man!

Back