One Player Who Escaped Criticism

“Escaped Criticism”

If ever two words summed up FF in its current state. Every player must be lambasted if we don’t win.

Arfield has been getting it in the neck since the start of the season – and that’s not to say he doesn’t deserve the criticism, he’s been largely non-existent. To say he’s escaped anything is embarrassing.

Last edited:
@Ray Donovan has made his feelings on Arfield pretty clear from the beginning of the season.

He hasn’t become a bad player overnight and I would tend to trust Gerrard’s judgement over this muppet.

Arfield has escaped criticism, he's been getting it a lot and deservedly, he's been crap for the most part this season, although was much improved for the 1st half against the sheep. I hope he doesn't start against the Filth though.

On the contrary, Arfield has been getting pelters most of the season for his below par performances.

more to the point OP, why feel the need to try and look for someone who has t in your opinion yet been slaughtered?!

Last edited:
That's just it though. His best isn't anywhere near good enough for Rangers. The position he occupies needs filled with someone who offers us a whole lot more than Scott Arfield does. Last season, this season.....not good enough!
I think you’re being a bit harsh there tbh.

long term I’d like better as we try to get back on top and have more long term success. but as it stands and with our current squad he certainly still brings a lot of value

Three goals this season is a very poor return , some problem as last midfield need to contribute more , too much pressure on Alfie and people whinge when he has one quiet game.

It’s only taken Arfield 18 starts and
5 sub. apps. to find the net.
Didn’t Katic get ‘ bombed out’ last season for a similar family bereavement.

I think you’re being a bit harsh there tbh.

long term I’d like better as we try to get back on top and have more long term success. but as it stands and with our current squad he certainly still brings a lot of value

Sorry mate, have to disagree with you on this one. Im of the opinion we are as close to them now as we are likely to get in terms of quality given the disparity of our finances.

Arfield's position is the one area of the park where they have a far superior player /players who contribute now almost every single game for them and it takes huge pressure off their striker. They in turn are able to put games to bed easier because there's much more of a goal threat there. My issue with Arfield is simply that. He doesn't chip in with anything like enough goals, fluffs too many opportunities, doesn't link well enough on current form and to compound things he's losing possession constantly (although he did better last season) It's a crucial position he plays and is a huge disadvantage for us week in week out.

I'll qualify things and say he's capable of providing the odd moment of brilliance and I sincerely hope he rams these words down my throat on Sunday with a big performance but it's not happening nearly often enough for him imo.

It's nothing personal for Scott Arfield he's a decent squad player and a good bear but I want what's best for Rangers not what's best for the player. Even taking into account our weaknesses at the back, if we had one area of the park we could upgrade in January to increase our title prospects for me it would be Arfield's hands down.

That's just it though. His best isn't anywhere near good enough for Rangers. The position he occupies needs filled with someone who offers us a whole lot more than Scott Arfield does. Last season, this season.....not good enough!

Stop watching football. You know nothing about it.

Sorry mate, have to disagree with you on this one. Im of the opinion we are as close to them now as we are likely to get in terms of quality given the disparity of our finances.

Arfield's position is the one area of the park where they have a far superior player /players who contribute now almost every single game for them and it takes huge pressure off their striker. They in turn are able to put games to bed easier because there's much more of a goal threat there. My issue with Arfield is simply that. He doesn't chip in with anything like enough goals, fluffs too many opportunities, doesn't link well enough on current form and to compound things he's losing possession constantly (although he did better last season) It's a crucial position he plays and is a huge disadvantage for us week in week out.

I'll qualify things and say he's capable of providing the odd moment of brilliance and I sincerely hope he rams these words down my throat on Sunday with a big performance but it's not happening nearly often enough for him imo.

It's nothing personal for Scott Arfield he's a decent squad player and a good bear but I want what's best for Rangers not what's best for the player. Even taking into account our weaknesses at the back, if we had one area of the park we could upgrade in January to increase our title prospects for me it would be Arfield's hands down.
I can’t disagree with much of what you’re saying mate, I just think he’s the best we’ve got for that position as it stands.

Would you throw a little curveball and try starting with Stewart in there on Sunday? It would certainly catch them out a little. I just think we need battlers in the middle of the park to win on Sunday and Jack along with Arfield would be my choice.

Anyway, in truth, I genuinely don’t care who starts on Sunday, we just NEED to win this game at any cost with everyone giving 100%.

If we end up sitting here in 36 hours time having lost due to certain players not being committed or not being brave enough then it’s the end of the road for said players in my view

I can’t disagree with much of what you’re saying mate, I just think he’s the best we’ve got for that position as it stands.

Would you throw a little curveball and try starting with Stewart in there on Sunday? It would certainly catch them out a little. I just think we need battlers in the middle of the park to win on Sunday and Jack along with Arfield would be my choice.

Anyway, in truth, I genuinely don’t care who starts on Sunday, we just NEED to win this game at any cost with everyone giving 100%.

If we end up sitting here in 36 hours time having lost due to certain players not being committed or not being brave enough then it’s the end of the road for said players in my view

Aye you can't take away his battling qualities, thats one part of his game I won't criticize and especially in this game. I think Stewart has a goal in him but not sure if he's cut out for this one. On the ballance of things I'd be inclined to agree with you, Arfield would be a better choice for this one but he absolutely HAS to bring his A game for us on Sunday. God knows he owes us a performance.

Back