Only one subway line running today

i think the issue is bigger than ko time. For a major ciry to be shutting down a main public teansport system at 6pm on a Sunday is crazy. Imagine Barcelona doing this. By all means have a reduced service but no service at all is crazy
Barcelona close at midnight on Sundays and the queue after a game (10pm ko 11.45 finish) is worse than Ibrox.
Even if you are on a train come midnight it shuts down so you have to get off nearest station.
Well was in 2012

I'll guarantee you, you have never been held in a queue for no reason. You might not know the reason, the staff holding you might not know the reason, but there will be a very good reason. Having been on the other side here are some examples,

Medical emergency at another station, someone ill on a train (happens a lot in big crowds)

Arseholes being arseholes at another station preventing train running

Police dealing with an incident (see arseholes above)

Train breakdown

Loss of power... and my favourite...

Fans on stairs at Ibrox Inner going mental "I could get on that fucking train, there's space at the door, ffs, your a prick, bet your a Tim, ya wank, etc, etc" all because he has to wait 4 minutes for next train. I use to explain the the train is going to Cessnock which is also rammed with bears and we leave a little space so a very limited number can get on board there as well, but by that time the rage has set in and they aren't listening to you. Similar to the Inner at Partick pre game, if you have a drink in the pub and want to travel at 2.45 to get to game on time guess what, so did a few hundred others and even more in town who left at 2.30, the trains busy and you will have to wait, its not the staff, the train or the systems fault you couldn't put the pint down and head over earlier.
Putting more trains on wouldnt reduce the issue of queues at peak times?

Barcelona close at midnight on Sundays and the queue after a game (10pm ko 11.45 finish) is worse than Ibrox.
Even if you are on a train come midnight it shuts down so you have to get off nearest station.
Well was in 2012
Midnight is 4 hours after the end of tonights game and you may be right but you are quiting times from 9 years ago

Midnight is 4 hours after the end of tonights game and you may be right but you are quiting times from 9 years ago
True, what I was meaning though that even when Barcelona play at home the subway network makes no allowances to open later just because there is a game on

True, what I was meaning though that even when Barcelona play at home the subway network makes no allowances to open later just because there is a game on
No but midnight on Sunday in a cosmopolitan city is better than 6. Its still poor tbf and in no way am I comparing Barcelona to Glasgow

Trouble is it's only going to be used once or twice a fortnight.
A train at Ibrox would only be used 1 or 2 times a fortnight? . Plenty folk would use it to get to work or go shopping.

Honestly some people live on another planet on here.

The subway is not really critical to the the transport of the city. There are bus alternatives for just about all stations. Its convenient, yes. And you would want it to be running after a match. Outside of match-days the stations on the South Side are mostly dead. They are lucky to see a couple of hundred thousand passengers a year. Some stations in other major cities see those numbers in a day.

I don’t think the subway shutting down after 6pm on a Sunday makes a difference to how people view the city. With the Sunday trading act, retail in London shuts at 6pm on a Sunday. You can’t get a Tesco, Boots or any other major retail outlet by 6pm in one or the worlds most important cities. The low-use Glasgow subway shutting at 6 is not causing anybody major hassles. Apart the rare day we have a late game on a Sunday. And I am sure the last time we had a late game they stayed open later.

Putting more trains on wouldnt reduce the issue of queues at peak times?

Eh... yes and they do?

Off peak, 3 per side=6 Trains 8 minute wait.

Peak morning and evening 6 per side=12 Trains 4 minute wait

Football 6 per side=12 Trains 4 minute wait.

Can't get anymore in as it would overload the power, they probably won't have any extra Trains fit for service and they will be struggling with staff due to covid etc same as anyone else. But does anyone think a 4 minute wait is too long?!?

Eh... yes and they do?

Off peak, 3 per side=6 Trains 8 minute wait.

Peak morning and evening 6 per side=12 Trains 4 minute wait

Football 6 per side=12 Trains 4 minute wait.

Can't get anymore in as it would overload the power, they probably won't have any extra Trains fit for service and they will be struggling with staff due to covid etc same as anyone else. But does anyone think a 4 minute wait is too long?!?
Has covid just struck? Its been like this for years. Is it ounters fault the servixe diesnt have enough serviceable trains or enough staff to operate them? Stoo making excuses. The subway isnt fit for purpose

Has covid just struck? Its been like this for years. Is it ounters fault the servixe diesnt have enough serviceable trains or enough staff to operate them? Stoo making excuses. The subway isnt fit for purpose

No it isn't, but thats not the staffs fault. From the engineers who perform miracles to keep them going, to the staff who put up with shit you couldn't imagine, its lack of investment for a long, long period of time. Its not a big conspiracy, its not tims out to inconvenience us, its just cash, plain and simple. Cant even solely blame the Nats, its been underfunded for at least 25-30 years

Oh, just seen as well for all you fanboys of other systems, Docklands in London got flooded tonight, think they are driverless? Here's hoping there were some staff on hand to help passengers.

No it isn't, but thats not the staffs fault. From the engineers who perform miracles to keep them going, to the staff who put up with shit you couldn't imagine, its lack of investment for a long, long period of time. Its not a big conspiracy, its not tims out to inconvenience us, its just cash, plain and simple. Cant even solely blame the Nats, its been underfunded for at least 25-30 years
Ive never said its a conspiracy im.sayi g its a disgrace that in 2021 a public transport system stops at 6pm, game or no game

Oh, just seen as well for all you fanboys of other systems, Docklands in London got flooded tonight, think they are driverless? Here's hoping there were some staff on hand to help passengers.
In London they hammer the lines at the weekend and bank holidays for maintenance, with full weekend closures. At least the Glasgow Subway we know where we stand. It closes early on a Sunday when patronage is low and we still get it for the main part of the weekend.

Try getting away from Stamford Bridge when the district line has a part suspension on a Saturday afternoon. Arghhh.

Iirc the early closing was due to bosses refusing to pay double time on a sunday so they closed early and put it down to "maintenance " and have done to this day.

Ive never said its a conspiracy im.sayi g its a disgrace that in 2021 a public transport system stops at 6pm, game or no game

Mentioned it previously during the week, they have trialled it and the passenger numbers don't lend itself to staying open along with the need for preventative and corrective maintenance in the system itself, they need that Sunday into Monday timeframe.

Mentioned it previously during the week, they have trialled it and the passenger numbers don't lend itself to staying open along with the need for preventative and corrective maintenance in the system itself, they need that Sunday into Monday timeframe.
That's poor in this day and age tbf. Wonder how London Underground manage. Scotland is a backwater

A train at Ibrox would only be used 1 or 2 times a fortnight? . Plenty folk would use it to get to work or go shopping.

I'm guessing they just keep the Ibrox subway shut when there isn't a game on.

Its only going to be used by matchday crowds once or twice a fortnight ffs. Thats the justification we're discussing for having a station there. You've done an appraisal of likely non football usage? Lets see it.

Planet Reality.

The subway is not really critical to the the transport of the city. There are bus alternatives for just about all stations. Its convenient, yes. And you would want it to be running after a match. Outside of match-days the stations on the South Side are mostly dead. They are lucky to see a couple of hundred thousand passengers a year. Some stations in other major cities see those numbers in a day.

I don’t think the subway shutting down after 6pm on a Sunday makes a difference to how people view the city. With the Sunday trading act, retail in London shuts at 6pm on a Sunday. You can’t get a Tesco, Boots or any other major retail outlet by 6pm in one or the worlds most important cities. The low-use Glasgow subway shutting at 6 is not causing anybody major hassles. Apart the rare day we have a late game on a Sunday. And I am sure the last time we had a late game they stayed open later.
You're comparing supermarkets to transport systems? I live in London for all it's faults you can still get home by midnight on a Sunday.

By bus or taxi maybe. The transport system in Scotland is an utter embarrassment.
It is poor but the subway staying open late on a Sunday night (when there is no football on) won’t do much to improve it. Privatisation has killed it really. I think pretty much everywhere else I have been outside the UK, local transport is controlled by the government. In the USA even airports are ran by the city/county. Transport is seen as an essential function rather than a profit making business.

It is poor but the subway staying open late on a Sunday night (when there is no football on) won’t do much to improve it. Privatisation has killed it really. I think pretty much everywhere else I have been outside the UK, local transport is controlled by the government. In the USA even airports are ran by the city/county. Transport is seen as an essential function rather than a profit making business.
London is mostly privatised, Tfl run the tube, buses and trains are privatised too. We're an anomaly as a country for transport not being in government control. I still remember the corporation buses, and British rail. It was a moneypit for the government.

Subway isn't privatised. It's ran by SPT who are one of the 7 Scottish regional transport operator's who are funded by the council areas they cover and answer to Transport Scotland which are solely Govt funded and answer to Scottish Ministers.

Subway isn't privatised. It's ran by SPT who are one of the 7 Scottish regional transport operator's who are funded by the council areas they cover and answer to Transport Scotland which are solely Govt funded and answer to Scottish Ministers.

I know mate. I mean other modes of transport. Mainly directed at the bus network.

Back