Only player to represent 3 different nations at 3 world cups?

Di Stefano. Spain, Argentina, Italy.
Bizarrely, Di Stefano never played in a World Cup.

International career[edit]

Di Stéfano played with three different national teams during his career, scoring 6 goals in 6 appearances for Argentina, and 23 in 31 appearances for Spain. However, he never played in the World Cup. Di Stéfano also played four times for Colombia, during the Dimayor period of Colombian football. The team at the time was not recognised by FIFA as the league had broken transfer rules in signing players while still under contract.

Last edited:

He missed the 1990 WC through injury but he definitely captained the CIS at Euro 92.

Fun fact: Former Celtic ‘star’ Dmitri Kharine is the record caps holder for CIS with eleven.
Aye wasn’t meaning WCs just knew he’d captained three which is some stat in itself. Don’t think Scottish football clubs and those in the game knew how to utilise a player like Miko.

He missed the 1990 WC through injury but he definitely captained the CIS at Euro 92.

Fun fact: Former Celtic ‘star’ Dmitri Kharine is the record caps holder for CIS with eleven.
I'm actually surprised at that, considering the amount of talent they would have had to choose from at that time.

Aye wasn’t meaning WCs just knew he’d captained three which is some stat in itself. Don’t think Scottish football clubs and those in the game knew how to utilise a player like Miko.
You’re right, he captained the USSR team in qualifying for Euro 92 then captained the new Ukrainian team in one game, a 1-1 draw against Belarus in October 1992.

Captain of three national teams must be a record. And he may have done it all in a calendar year.

Last edited:
Didn’t Miko captain 3?
To confirm it:

The Eu-football website says that Miko captained the USSR team in November 1991, the CIS team at Euro 92, then the Ukrainian team in October 1992.

Captain of three national teams in eleven months.

EDIT: I can’t get that link to work for some reason. It just keeps leading me to the home page. Still, you can work it out from there.

Last edited:
To confirm it:

This website says that Miko captained the USSR team in November 1991, the CIS team at Euro 92, then the Ukrainian team in October 1992.

Captain of three national teams in eleven months.
That must be a record that will never be broken.

The way things are going in Africa there will soon be a player who plays for three nations in one World Cup.

The way things are going in Africa there will soon be a player who plays for three nations in one World Cup.
I knew Bruce Grobbelaar played for three nations, Rhodesia, Zimbabwe and I thought South Africa (as he was born there) but it was Matabeleland. He may be as close to playing for three African teams as possible.

László Kubala represented Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Spain at International level. Think the war put a stop to him playing in any world cups for Czechoslovakia or Hungary.

Di Stefano. Spain, Argentina, Italy.
Did he ever play in the world cup?
An often forgotten figure when people talk about the GOAT.
I grew up in a generation that held him in the same esteem as Messi today.

Argentina have produced Di Stefano, Maradona, and Messi.
Think about that.

Did he ever play in the world cup?
An often forgotten figure when people talk about the GOAT.
I grew up in a generation that held him in the same esteem as Messi today.

Argentina have produced Di Stefano, Maradona, and Messi.
Think about that.
No, he didn't. Post #17 mate.

Back