Oscar Cortes

Austrianger1985

Over the last couple of days I was thinking about why we collapsed so badly after our 5-0 home win against Hearts. Kilmarnock away was a struggle, but that has always been a difficult venue for everyone, even more so for Celtic than for us. And at least we won the game. However, it was also the game when Cortes got injured.

I have the feeling that losing Cortes had a major impact on our downfall. He just seemed like a natural left winger who was starting to torment defenders, become a goal threat and even more so, giving the team a very good balance.

Since then, we have had to play players out of position (Silva) who are clearly not comfortable as left wingers.

If we sign Cortes, I hope he stays free of injury, because I think he could be a major player for us.

Circa 380 mins played for us , yes he looked good but not much of a metric to say "major impact" IMO

Both of you might be right, and he might not have saved our season as a single individual, but I think his impact might have been bigger than assumed.

Cortez has 7 appearances for us. Yes looked good but was hardly integral to the team. League was lost against Motherwell, County and Dundee. More so taking one point from them all season.
He gave the team a new dimension from what I saw. He was a genuine edge of your seat type that looked like he had defenders genuinely worried. Injury robbed him of being the major asset that he undoubtedly had the potential to be. And he and Ridvan looked great together on that left flank. Losing the pair of them quickly has been a crusher for the balance of the side.

Cortez and Sima being out wreaked havoc … Clememt’s team needs potent wingers who contribute goals and assists

Cortez was a very exciting signing and hopefully we can try before we buy again next season

Cortez has 7 appearances for us. Yes looked good but was hardly integral to the team. League was lost against Motherwell, County and Dundee. More so taking one point from them all season.
Correct, but if we do sign Cortes then we must get rid of most of the dross we have currently. Otherwise the new players will get dragged down to their levels. I think that’s why Diomande struggles in games. Trying to gel with players who lack ability and desire.

Not just Cortes but we lack players with a bit of directness who can beat players and make things happen. Far too often we try to pass our way through teams

Very easy to put them together and say it’s linked. The reality is our squad over performed for 6 months of the season and ran out of steam.

We aren’t a good side, we don’t play good football, we don’t have many leaders across the pitch and we rely on 3/4 players every week to dig us out of holes (1 of them being the goalkeeper) while the other 6/7 players continually put in 5/10 performances.

We’ve done well to not lose the league by 20+ points as it looked like it was going to be earlier in the season however a lot of that came down to Celtic dropping unexpected points. We’ve won 0/4 Old Firm games and dropped points in 3 other massive games recently. Not to mention the opening day of the season we folded also.

If we come out of this season with a double Clement is a genius

But yep, put it on Cortes being injured if it makes you sleep better.

Very easy to put them together and say it’s linked. The reality is our squad over performed for 6 months of the season and ran out of steam.

We aren’t a good side, we don’t play good football, we don’t have many leaders across the pitch and we rely on 3/4 players every week to dig us out of holes (1 of them being the goalkeeper) while the other 6/7 players continually put in 5/10 performances.

We’ve done well to not lose the league by 20+ points as it looked like it was going to be earlier in the season however a lot of that came down to Celtic dropping unexpected points. We’ve won 0/4 Old Firm games and dropped points in 3 other massive games recently. Not to mention the opening day of the season we folded also.

If we come out of this season with a double Clement is a genius

But yep, put it on Cortes being injured if it makes you sleep better.

I will sleep well enough mate, no worries.

Over the last couple of days I was thinking about why we collapsed so badly after our 5-0 home win against Hearts. Kilmarnock away was a struggle, but that has always been a difficult venue for everyone, even more so for Celtic than for us. And at least we won the game. However, it was also the game when Cortes got injured.

I have the feeling that losing Cortes had a major impact on our downfall. He just seemed like a natural left winger who was starting to torment defenders, become a goal threat and even more so, giving the team a very good balance.

Since then, we have had to play players out of position (Silva) who are clearly not comfortable as left wingers.

If we sign Cortes, I hope he stays free of injury, because I think he could be a major player for us.

Him and sima

The loss of Yilmaz coincided with the poor run too. If he stayed fit along with Sima i think we’d have won the league.
No coincidence our form dipped massively with all 3 out the team and nothing PC could have done about that given it was 2 injuries on international duties and another on a pitch that should be banned.

The motherwell game was start of the mess

But the injuries ultimately piled up and we putting square legs into round holes instead of changing the team set up.

We should have went 352 once injuries starting happening.

One one injury happens puts to much pressure on the player playing physically no rotation no subs that player ends up struggling and or injured to

Comes back to the squad Beale built was just not balanced enough to cope with paying 60 games a year

His arrival gave us the width we missed without Sima, once Oscar was injured we were left with no pace or threat from the wing. That will have contributed to the lop-sided displays at times. Yilmaz was a miss too.

Our best performance was when we beat Hearts 5 nil. Cortes / Yilmaz and Diamonde were superb in that game.

Losing Cortes and Yilmaz soon after that made a right dent in our performance in my opinion

Really wish we had the opportunity to see him in an OF. He struck me as a direct and fearless type who wouldn't have shrunk in such an occasion, had the bravery to take them on and get their defence on the back foot. Maybe next season. Hopefully.

Defo a major reason we collapsed , but we didn’t have to play players out of position we could of came up with a formation without wingers seeing as we didn’t have any fit ones 3-5-2 for example

Huge loss. In addition to Sima, Matondo, Danilo and Yilmaz (particularly damaging). We lost the ability to change games. Our bench was awful. Dio dropped out a few games as well. We simply cannot afford that level of long term injuries again. No club could. We need to recruit more robust players.

Losing Sima’s goals was a blow, Cortes then softened that to a certain extent.
When he got injured Silva had to play out left which stopped the rotation of strikers (Dessers / Silva).
Overall injuries played a major part in the season for both us and that lot.
Unfortunately we didn’t take care of our own business against the lesser teams.

Not having a left winger was a big problem. In the old firm game at Ibrox for example that was evidence when we had sterling at left back who kept cutting in on his right foot. Silva on the wing. Affected the balance of the whole team not having an actual left winger on the pitch. But that's just one of the issues we had that lead to our demise.

If you’re looking for the single biggest factor in losing the league, it wasn’t a 20 year old loan player.

If you look at the 5 games where we lost it (Motherwell, Ross County, Dundee and 2 X OF) it was the midfield who were overrun.

Lundstram chucking it when he knew he was away was a factor. His performances became slower and more turgid than ever. That coincided with Clement giving more game time to Lawrence. I can’t overstate how detrimental he is to our team. If he’d stayed injured we might well have won the league. His lazy, slow, nonentity performances when he starts give the opposition a massive advantage. When he’s not there Dowell is like a carbon copy.

The third factor was the injury to Diomande that made him miss 2 of those games. He’d been doing well to paper some of the cracks since he signed.

Yes, our defence and forwards are poor but we got by. It was in the midfield that things actually changed.

Maybe Ridvan being missing and the massive downgrade to Borna was a factor too.

Correct, but if we do sign Cortes then we must get rid of most of the dross we have currently. Otherwise the new players will get dragged down to their levels. I think that’s why Diomande struggles in games. Trying to gel with players who lack ability and desire.
Also a formation change would help those players to flourish as well.

Can see both angles on this. Undoubtedly the best set of consistent performances we put together was the spell with Sima, Cortes and Ridvan all featuring. I would still have my doubts about the resolve of the usual suspects when the business end really got going.

I’d love to see a front 3 of Sima, Danilo & Cortes fully fit and flying at defences. We’re a long way away at present from that happening, if it actually will.

Astonishing to think, that despite the negativity, IF we had beaten them once this season, we'd be equal on points.

Equally the Motherwell, Ross County and Dundee debacles contrived to screw our season. Unbelievable as it is.

In my opinion it was an opportunity missed this season. Injuries, players out of contract and some players being mentally scarred against them - were contributing factors.

In all honesty, if we continue to.give out contracts to players with dubious injury records, I'd feel like just giving up.

I hope we try for another loan for the boy even till January. 7 games is not enough to judge him on. Plus it would give us the chance to see if he too is made of glass and if he does ok make it a perm deal in Jan window.

I hope we try for another loan for the boy even till January. 7 games is not enough to judge him on. Plus it would give us the chance to see if he too is made of glass and if he does ok make it a perm deal in Jan window.
I think he’ll be here next season.

He was in front of me on Tuesday, albeit incognito :))

Huge loss. In addition to Sima, Matondo, Danilo and Yilmaz (particularly damaging). We lost the ability to change games. Our bench was awful. Dio dropped out a few games as well. We simply cannot afford that level of long term injuries again. No club could. We need to recruit more robust players.
A lot of the players we signed weren't injury prone when we signed them. I hoping Clement has got to the bottom of the problem as he proclaimed.

Back