Other Scottish teams you didn't mind before they all voted against us?

Now Im just trying to remember if this was the case before anyone jumps on my question.

Was Stewart Robertson with Motherwell when they voted us down?
Doubt it, he was only there under a year I’m sure. Always baffled when his time at Motherwell is brought up as he was barely there for folk to hate the bad job he supposedly done, and even then he was only Company secretary

Had a soft spot for Hearts, not now though. Although if they are playing the Sheep, Hivs or the Tramps, sonmetines though it'll bubble up and I'll wish them well.

Inverness caley.had some friends up that way and used to stay over,great night out up there.
But as they say "no one likes us we don't care".

Doubt it, he was only there under a year I’m sure. Always baffled when his time at Motherwell is brought up as he was barely there for folk to hate the bad job he supposedly done, and even then he was only Company secretary
Did I said he dd a bad job? I made it clear I was just asking a question as I couldnt remember all the facts.

When I was young, around 7-8 yrs I didn’t obviously want to be a beggar like all my family, so struggled with either picking Hearts or Dundee U, Raith, Falkirk & the other Dundee. The late 80s, 90s these teams were half decent compared to nowadays.

I decided f**k my conservative Tim loving family and became a Bear at 11-12.

And the irony is I’m renowned as the most obnoxious ranger there is up my way haha :))

Reactions: ao2
When I was younger there were a number of teams who I had not a fondness for but a bit of respect. Would watch them on telly if they were playing and quite enjoyed them.

Usually the teams had fairly strong links with Rangers in their playing squads or managers. Hearts, Motherwell and Kilmarnock spring to mind. Airdrie were another and because I'm a Dumfriesshire lad QOTS.

Like I'm sure most of you out there all that has pretty much vanished as Rangers don't seem to get much respect in return these days regardless of what we have done for Scottish football. I'm sure politics of the day is mainly to blame but it does surprise me with everything that has went on at Parkhead that Celtic seem to be held in a higher regard by the support of some clubs.

Who were the clubs you didn't mind and what were the reasons for it. Hearts were the one team that I really wanted one of their shirts as a kid because so many ex rangers players played for them
I liked watching Hibs under Collins, and Dundee Utd under Levein.
No real affinity for any other team mind you.

Funnily enough, I used to not mind Dundee Utd (as I had a few pals who were on their books) now I despise both entities.

Used to support Hearts against the filth and the spoons now don't care as much because of the kickback and a section of their nationalist support.

Filth
Sheep
Hibs
Hearts
St Johnstone
Ross County
Dundee Utd
Inverness
St. Mirren
Motherwell

Only those 10 voted us out, then add Dundee to the list after their Covid vote carry on. Can't say I ever had a "soft spot" for any of them tbh.

None.

When I was young and stupid and bought into the whole cousins of William shit, I had a soft spot for hearts.

Now I'm older and slightly less stupid I hate them as much as the other 39 jobbers. Which is slightly less than I hate celtic.

I had sympathy for any Scottish club that faced insolvency before 2012 but the rank hypocrisy and debt dumping done by some clubs since without any blood lust see them punished put an end to that.

Hearts went into administration with a bigger debt than Rangers but got about 1% of the flak that came our way. Aberdeen and Kilmarnock have both dumped massive amounts of debt since without so much as raised eyebrow about it.

Dunfermline another club that actually ended going into administration with probably a bigger debt to income ratio than Rangers.

They've all made a rod for thier own back though as one of them will hit the skids eventually and the precedent they set will come back and bite them.

Falkirk
When I was younger there were a number of teams who I had not a fondness for but a bit of respect. Would watch them on telly if they were playing and quite enjoyed them.

Usually the teams had fairly strong links with Rangers in their playing squads or managers. Hearts, Motherwell and Kilmarnock spring to mind. Airdrie were another and because I'm a Dumfriesshire lad QOTS.

Like I'm sure most of you out there all that has pretty much vanished as Rangers don't seem to get much respect in return these days regardless of what we have done for Scottish football. I'm sure politics of the day is mainly to blame but it does surprise me with everything that has went on at Parkhead that Celtic seem to be held in a higher regard by the support of some clubs.

Who were the clubs you didn't mind and what were the reasons for it. Hearts were the one team that I really wanted one of their shirts as a kid because so many ex rangers players played for them
Falkirk because they were my local team, went to a pre season friendly when they played Rangers at brockville in one of the magnificent ones first games in charge ,a few falkirk fans with union flags even some joining in with a few songs leaving the ground ,changed days now SNP brainwashed tadgers the few I've talked to that go to the games have a real hatred towards us.

falkirk being my local team,used to watch them if we had a sunday game. but after 2012 listening to some of them in the pub they sickened me .have only been back when they play us and love to thump them.

I always had a soft(ish) spot for Dundee Utd due to having family that support them.

Now however I hate them on a par with Aberdeen and I really hope they get relegated.
Likewise, one of the very few teams who just tried to beat you at football. Huge Rangers connections thereafter.
Can't help but like Jim Maclean's dealings with the media.

I quite liked Stirling Albion until we played them in the third division and I sat in the home end and have genuinely never heard so much sectarian bile at a game in my life.

The only saving grace was a monster of a guy obv a rangers fan sitting in the row in front standing up with a couple of his pals after about 85 minutes after one too many orange bastards and telling the loudest of the group that he was going to be waiting outside at the car park and that he was getting his cnt kicked in when he got out.

I dont think anyone in the whole section said another word and the big man was as indeed still there waiting when I left

Partick Thistle as my Grandad supported them and my boy plays for them now (juniors).

Nobody else, and I can’t see it changing unless some of them grow a backbone and vote with us when the time comes around again to make some significant changes.

I think we have a decent relationship with Thistle tbh going by recent loans and a lot of their fans dislike for that lot - but they have a fair few fans who dislike us too.

It’s life at the top I suppose.

Like many others would support anyone apart from them in Europe; Hearts, lots of family were supporters and my generation they definitely had an affinity with us; Raith, local team - enjoyed the league cup win and the European ties that followed.

Clyde, poss, as my old man played for them when they beat the scum in the 54 cup final. Tommy A . Captain - bit off the subject but he was invited to Septic park to see Clyde v them. Took me along, walking into the main entrance I just followed the group in front, proceeded to go round the big F..kin shamrock! Quickly put straight by the old man - walked straight across the shite - scuffing our feet. Killie also, as we came from Galston but it was always and still is (thanks Da) the Famous.
It was 1955. First televised SC final. Clyde equalised in the final from a corner kick.

But what a fascinating story you have told.

I worked for years with Matha Gemmell's grandson and they stayed in Main St Bridgeton, as did my old man.

Clyde took the cup for a parade up Brigton' Main St to Shawfield after the replay. My old man said they were all out the window watching it and in his words you could virtally have reached out and touched the cup.

Incidentally, the cup stayed with Matha Gemmell and his family that night.

I quite liked Stirling Albion until we played them in the third division and I sat in the home end and have genuinely never heard so much sectarian bile at a game in my life.

The only saving grace was a monster of a guy obv a rangers fan sitting in the row in front standing up with a couple of his pals after about 85 minutes after one too many orange bastards and telling the loudest of the group that he was going to be waiting outside at the car park and that he was getting his cnt kicked in when he got out.

I dont think anyone in the whole section said another word and the big man was as indeed still there waiting when I left
I do like a story with a happy ending

Accies and motherwell, just from living in those towns as a kid before moving thru to Fife. Got taken to both of their grounds and hampden before Ibrox. My dad was a rangers man but also the kind of guy who would just go and watch a local game. Said when he was younger he'd go and watch rangers, but if they were away he'd go to see Blantyre vics if they were at home, if not he'd go to douglas park or fir park.
Was delighted for motherwell when they won the cup and we'd moved away to fife where most of the boys at school were dundee utd fans ( that end of Fife and utd were still a relatively big side). It was just after ravenscraig had closed as well so massive for the town at the time. Keep an eye on east fife's results as well.

* took four attempts before Blantyre vics didn't come out as Blantyre vice which would be a great concept for a tv show

Last edited:
I remember watching Dundee Utd beating Barcelona home and away and being utterly delighted, in fact I would’ve certainly have wanted most Scottish teams to do well in Europe.

Post 2012 and the vitriol directed at us, no chance of that now.

Never forget, or forgive.

Same here. I’ll go ever further down this rabbit hole. I was cheering when Aberdeen beat Real Madrid in the final :eek:

Also had a genuine fondness for Hearts, Killie and Airdrie.

Now, I wouldn’t piss on any of them if they were burning.

As you say, never forget and never forgive.

Old boy used to take me to watch Falkirk which was cheaper and easier than Ibrox. We'd always stand in the away terracing as well as it was quieter.

The post-Murray generations need to put more emphasis onto 'no-one likes us, we don't care' and stop worrying about it. They will always be jealous and like anyone jealous or bullying you, they'll go for your weakest spot. For us that is the events of 2012-16 and we still hear the same brain-dead pish from morons with nothing more interesting in their life than to sing about that.

Airdrie.Always had a soft spot for them since I was a kid.Used to love Broomfield
Have posted this before, when a youngster back in the day when youngsters played football, on bits of muddy grass etc. Whenever in nets, (or in goal for some sensitive people), I always pretended to be the Airdrie goalie John Martin.

Used to see him produce some saves and performances on sportscene and scotsport. Diving about like an eejit, like a world beater. Then walking in to the house to met with cries of, "look at the bloody color of you, your caked in mud, get upstairs to that bath".

Young uns these days don't know what they missed out on. At least they are happy with their mobile phones, and facebook etc.

A few folks in this thread are kind of going a wee but Uber staunch in their replies. I’m not really getting at a fondness for other teams other than Rangers but maybe a mutual respect.

I’ve mentioned Hearts it was hard not to respect them when I was a kid with guys like Sandy Jardine rocking up there there were so many players who moved to and from Rangers and Hearts back in the day. Similarly when Davie Cooper went to Motherwell or Durrant and McCoist at Kilmarnock. When a team was filled with ex bears or guys who you knew had a soft spot for Rangers you respected them a bit

Funny too there are few older bears on the thread saying that when football was priced at a level that you could go to other games without too much cost that they maybe went to more senior teams when rangers were away from home and they lived in a glasgow that they would go to Thistle, QP or Clyde. I’d imagine some of the NI fans that come to Ibrox would maybe take in a Linfield game maybe when they couldn’t get over

Two of my best mates when young were Hibs supporters so I had a soft spot for them and was right behind both Aberdeen and Dundee United when they were doing well in Europe.
Always loved beating but never hated Celtic until the last 15 to 20 years or so. I seem to be hating them more these days which is possibly due to social media and seeing how vile their followers actually are.

I also have to say that I wasn't unhappy when they beat Liverpool and Blackburn in Europe. Always good to put them in their place at times, especially after Souness mentioned men against boys after the first leg.

Falkirk

Falkirk because they were my local team, went to a pre season friendly when they played Rangers at brockville in one of the magnificent ones first games in charge ,a few falkirk fans with union flags even some joining in with a few songs leaving the ground ,changed days now SNP brainwashed tadgers the few I've talked to that go to the games have a real hatred towards us.
Same!

Mums side of the family are all Hearts except her brother who’s Rangers so Hearts

Hearts. Still do to a certain extent maybe as a lot of friends of a certain vintage are Hearts fans
I'm a certain vintage and I say f@ck them. I remember back in the60s their fans sang The Sash and No Surrender, nowadays they boo the National Anthem and voted us down. I say F'CK THEM.

Partick Thistle, as I lived straight across from Firhill in the early 70s. I was too young to go to the Rangers games on a regular basis with my oldman, so in the days of watching cars and then getting a lift over the turnstiles would allow me to watch football and may aple of bob. That stopped however, when I moved over to Easterhouse in 1977.
Thistle thought they would get get a wack of our fans if they put us down to the third Division. How deluded they were, so I say F@CK THEM.

Didn't like any of them and I still don't,

What they did in 2012 will stay with them forever, it's a stain on their character,

Only one that came out of the whole sorry mess with any kind of dignity was the Kilmarnock chairman who very wisely abstained in the vote when the others stabbed us in the back

Abstention was no good to us, identical to a no vote, just as bad as the rest!

Back