Our ‘non champions’ path

This is my (main) issue with the competition. They really need to change the name. Or maybe just have it as the top team in each league as it should be and expand the Europa League for the rest.

Maybe just don’t take the name literally?

The CL name is just a branding exercise and it’s probably one of the top few recognised brands in the sport, it moved away from being all about league Champions literal decades ago now, I really don’t see the problem.

As for the point of the thread, that’s the price of our abject failure to capitalise on a lead and secure the title, not surprising that teams who actually did so have an ‘easier’ route to the group stages.

Not as simple as that we had 6 draws all of which we should have won comfortably! If we had won half of them the league was ours.
It is as simple as that.3 times they have been handed titles due to off-field aid by the footballing authorities.

That would not and could not happen anywhere else on earth.

The moving of the break killed our momentum and got them out of a hole when their squad was on its arse and their form patchy. Oh and the little matter of having 5 players available for matches they should not have been eligible for. We would not have lost at their place either had the break not been moved.

I’d say a mixture of both .
Them getting countless favourable refereeing decisions and as the poster said the break getting moved to accommodate them along with us chucking points in the bin time after time meant we lost a title
The majority of the clubs voted for the break.

The idea that the clubs done as Celtic asked is utterly ridiculous. It suited that lot to move it, without doubt.

But the clubs all had a vote on it.

So it’s just Mcgregor’s fault? No-one else in our team made 1 mistake last year that led to us conceding a goal that cost us points?
For me, he’s the main culprit for the sheer amount of goals he was solely to blame for, most of which led directly to dropping points.

Surprising that UEFA haven't made the non-champions path easier to be honest. They don't care about the smaller teams and probably don't want the Moldovan champions sullying their elitist competition.

I only care for the group stages for the money, I much prefer the teams that go into the Europa League.
They only care about teams from 5 countries who all get their teams straight into the group stages

Rangers 1 Motherwell 1
Ross County 3 Rangers 3
Rangers 2 Motherwell 2

Is why we lost the league.
If the winter break was not moved, we would have been champions.

Football sides drop points. Nowhere else do football authorities so brazenly collude to help one side.

If the winter break was not moved, we would have been champions.

Football sides drop points. Nowhere else do football authorities so brazenly collude to help one side.
The authorities didn’t move it. The league voted for it. It’s in the league rules. Celtic got lucky and it didn’t work out in our favour.

At that stage, we still had a 6 point lead and it was well and truly in our control. We then conspired to collapse in the league, giving away cheap points and letting teams take the lead or overturn our leads in what should’ve been bread and butter games.

Some of the moans are mad. It was a nighttime game and that made it harder one guy said, really?! Yeah they had players back and could play new signings, but so could we. We just chose to throw Diallo in which was the wrong call from Gio and Ramsey wasn’t ready which would be the trend for the next 4 months. We also started at Parkhead with Jack Lundstram Davis and Balogun on the bench who should’ve all started that night.

Maybe just don’t take the name literally?

The CL name is just a branding exercise and it’s probably one of the top few recognised brands in the sport, it moved away from being all about league Champions literal decades ago now, I really don’t see the problem.

As for the point of the thread, that’s the price of our abject failure to capitalise on a lead and secure the title, not surprising that teams who actually did so have an ‘easier’ route to the group stages.
Ironically, the name ‘European cup’ is more apt now than it was back then.

The authorities didn’t move it. The league voted for it. It’s in the league rules. Celtic got lucky and it didn’t work out in our favour.

At that stage, we still had a 6 point lead and it was well and truly in our control. We then conspired to collapse in the league, giving away cheap points and letting teams take the lead or overturn our leads in what should’ve been bread and butter games.

Some of the moans are mad. It was a nighttime game and that made it harder one guy said, really?! Yeah they had players back and could play new signings, but so could we. We just chose to throw Diallo in which was the wrong call from Gio and Ramsey wasn’t ready which would be the trend for the next 4 months. We also started at Parkhead with Jack Lundstram Davis and Balogun on the bench who should’ve all started that night.
Yes we the cheap points away

Yes we recruited poorly at winter break

Yes gio did make some mistakes

But the league votes Yes they did but it was spfl that gave the options to the clubs remember who is on that board

Mclennan working relationship with Desmond and Doncaster whos liewells pet gimp

Anyone that thinks conversations weren't had that said we need winter break moved as we have 4/5 new recruits coming in Jan

30 to 40 mill income from cl group

Add that to the cinch issues and protecting themselves from massive fallout with clubs if we win the league and cinch pulled out

Those two alone will try influence and trade votes even with scum help re loans(we do it to ie Partick votes with us and we have loaned them loads of players since then)

5 subs should have stayed but when it went to 3 scum really struggled as they didn't have players to play like that for a full season changing back mid season helped them more.

Again it comes back to who is putting the proposal to the clubs and what is happening in the background that's making sure it goes through.

Yes we the cheap points away

Yes we recruited poorly at winter break

Yes gio did make some mistakes

But the league votes Yes they did but it was spfl that gave the options to the clubs remember who is on that board

Mclennan working relationship with Desmond and Doncaster whos liewells pet gimp

Anyone that thinks conversations weren't had that said we need winter break moved as we have 4/5 new recruits coming in Jan

30 to 40 mill income from cl group

Add that to the cinch issues and protecting themselves from massive fallout with clubs if we win the league and cinch pulled out

Those two alone will try influence and trade votes even with scum help re loans(we do it to ie Partick votes with us and we have loaned them loads of players since then)

5 subs should have stayed but when it went to 3 scum really struggled as they didn't have players to play like that for a full season changing back mid season helped them more.

Again it comes back to who is putting the proposal to the clubs and what is happening in the background that's making sure it goes through.
So Celtic play the game better than us then? It’s not a fair world we live in mate. You’ve just said there, we curry favour from clubs like Partick, but don’t like it when they do the same with Dundee for example.

After all was said and done, the break was moved etc, we still had it in our hands and chucked it. I agree moving the break helped them, and that there was a lot of bad ref calls, but I just prefer to take accountability for our own shortcomings. We conceded an abundance of sloppy goals and missed a lot of opportunities to gather points we would’ve needed either way to win the league.

For me, he’s the main culprit for the sheer amount of goals he was solely to blame for, most of which led directly to dropping points.
So the games quoted in this thread where we dropped points weren’t all down to McGregor. What about the forwards who missed chances in those games?

Rangers 1 Motherwell 1
Ross County 3 Rangers 3
Rangers 2 Motherwell 2

Is why we lost the league.
I agree , we should also have won the head to head with Celtic. I think if you lose the H2H you don't deserve to win the league. Was a stupid period of football when we lost those 2 goals close to half time at Parkhead.

This is my (main) issue with the competition. They really need to change the name. Or maybe just have it as the top team in each league as it should be and expand the Europa League for the rest.
Agree mate it’s not fair that the 4th best team from countries like England n Italy get straight in where as the champions from countries like Croatia and Greece have to play qualifiers competition is becoming a joke yet most these teams who qualify n 3rd 4th placed finishes r want to break away n create a super league imo let them be better off without them let teams who actually want to play in it be part of it n wen they get sick of the super league don’t let them back in

So Celtic play the game better than us then? It’s not a fair world we live in mate. You’ve just said there, we curry favour from clubs like Partick, but don’t like it when they do the same with Dundee for example.

After all was said and done, the break was moved etc, we still had it in our hands and chucked it. I agree moving the break helped them, and that there was a lot of bad ref calls, but I just prefer to take accountability for our own shortcomings. We conceded an abundance of sloppy goals and missed a lot of opportunities to gather points we would’ve needed either way to win the league.
Yes we have short comings and they needed addressed and some still need addressed.

However we could address them all we want it it someone comes down to external factors we have no control over.

I mentioned Motherwell 2 each game we should have defended better yes but still doesn't take away 1 of their goals was offside and 1 of our 2 goals disallowed was onside. Basically a 3-1 win was turned into a 2 each draw.

Dundee utd sakala could have done better but was one of the clearest penalties and straight red as no attempt to pay the ball you will ever see another draw

The moved sheep game clancy was up there with his worst against us.

The 2-1 scum game at home carter vickers should have last being booked and 1 penalty against and that's before considering the zorro wannabe and starfelt fouls being ignored constantly. Potentially turns a loss to a draw or win

That's before we talk about booking ratios, timing of bookings etc these small things change games.

None of these we can control doesn't matter how good we are or what our shortcomings are as perfect seasons happen rarely mistakes happen internally and externally but last year was dubious how often against us and for them.

It needs to be raised and challenged ie take clancy after that sheep game pretty sure he didn't ref us again for months

So the games quoted in this thread where we dropped points weren’t all down to McGregor. What about the forwards who missed chances in those games?
You clearly don’t like any criticism of McGregor

1-1 home to Hearts, Morelos missed multiple good chances so if you want to be picky, Morelos should have scored to put the game out of sight. Howeve, McGregors job is to prevent goals and he dropped an absolute shocker in injury time.

Ross County 3-3. Scoring 3 goals in a game against diddies should see us take all 3 points. That McGregor had shockers for 2/3 goals is telling.

Motherwell 2-2. Again, scoring 2 at home to diddies should have been enough. Both their goals McGregor really should have done better with.

There was other games as well where he was poor for goals but those ones stand out. He was the biggest culprit in dropping points last season

You clearly don’t like any criticism of McGregor

1-1 home to Hearts, Morelos missed multiple good chances so if you want to be picky, Morelos should have scored to put the game out of sight. Howeve, McGregors job is to prevent goals and he dropped an absolute shocker in injury time.

Ross County 3-3. Scoring 3 goals in a game against diddies should see us take all 3 points. That McGregor had shockers for 2/3 goals is telling.

Motherwell 2-2. Again, scoring 2 at home to diddies should have been enough. Both their goals McGregor really should have done better with.

There was other games as well where he was poor for goals but those ones stand out. He was the biggest culprit in dropping points last season
Wow, you really don’t like McGregor. I’ll give you the 2 in Dingwall but what about big bassey’s fresh air swipe for county’s 2nd?

As for the Motherwell game, big bassey and barasic at fault for their 1st and goldson and tav were honking for their 2nd. And we missed loads of chances.

Point being you can’t lay the blame on one player. If everyone doing their respective jobs we don’t lose those games.

Last edited:
In a way, England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy auto qualifying makes the chances of non champions from Scotland better for qualifying, leaves out the likes of Spurs etc. We just got the hardest playoff draw.

Yes we have short comings and they needed addressed and some still need addressed.

However we could address them all we want it it someone comes down to external factors we have no control over.

I mentioned Motherwell 2 each game we should have defended better yes but still doesn't take away 1 of their goals was offside and 1 of our 2 goals disallowed was onside. Basically a 3-1 win was turned into a 2 each draw.

Dundee utd sakala could have done better but was one of the clearest penalties and straight red as no attempt to pay the ball you will ever see another draw

The moved sheep game clancy was up there with his worst against us.

The 2-1 scum game at home carter vickers should have last being booked and 1 penalty against and that's before considering the zorro wannabe and starfelt fouls being ignored constantly. Potentially turns a loss to a draw or win

That's before we talk about booking ratios, timing of bookings etc these small things change games.

None of these we can control doesn't matter how good we are or what our shortcomings are as perfect seasons happen rarely mistakes happen internally and externally but last year was dubious how often against us and for them.

It needs to be raised and challenged ie take clancy after that sheep game pretty sure he didn't ref us again for months
I don’t disagree with any of that mate. Your stance is we were hard done by, and mine is that we should’ve done more to overcome the adversity. Happy to agree the views are different.

Some refuse to accept that this changed the league

Aribo was flying

They were dead on their feet were struggling massively with injuries we would have battered them at that point sheep as well

Going into winter break potentially 9 to 12 points clear would have ended them for the season they would have burned piggery to the ground.

It allowed the change of ref at the sheep game to clancy we were never winning that game with him and brown in reffing the game

Yes we had a brain fart at Ross County

yes Motherwell 2 up at home should have done better - somee honking decisions in that game to especially one of their goals and at least one of our 2 disallowed goals

At same time they were getting every decision under the sun going their way.
Play until they score.

It is as simple as that.3 times they have been handed titles due to off-field aid by the footballing authorities.

That would not and could not happen anywhere else on earth.

The moving of the break killed our momentum and got them out of a hole when their squad was on its arse and their form patchy. Oh and the little matter of having 5 players available for matches they should not have been eligible for. We would not have lost at their place either had the break not been moved.
What I said still applies

Back