Our attacking play

BigBadJohn

Can anyone who knows a bit about football tactics etc. explain to me what it is we're trying to do?

It feels like we have no idea how to attack teams.

Today was long ball football constantly. I assume that's managers instructions which is worrying but not what I'm getting at.

Players like Silva, Cantwell and Lawrence just look totally lost.

Everything we do looks so laboured and slow.

Is it just a lack of ability right throughout the side?

Genuinely curious because tonight was as hard a watch as I've seen since we got promoted. I wanted to turn it off 2 or 3 times when I was watching Lundstram drop into the center of defence time and time again.

My mate made the point we always seem to want to reset play by playing it backwards... This seems to be the opposite of what I would think makes sense?

Is this garbage coming from the manager or are the players just uncoachable?

I honestly think we've been ripping any attacking/creative thoughts out of players minds since Gerrard was here, which doesn't make sense since the staff has changed about 4 times... But the result no matter who the manager and staff are, is always the same. Players come here and lose all abilities of close control, accurate passing, shooting, forward thinking and vision...

Genuinely could not name a single player in our entire squad with any of those abilities, which is absolutely damning. It's like our first and only focus is on not losing possession and I think that comes from the players lacking the mental strength to take risks and be adventurous and thats what you need to play at a club like Rangers. It's all too easy to pass the buck to the next guy, and Connor Goldson is always up for lumping a long ball out the park when nobody else is willing to step up and take the pressure off...

Under Clement we’ve noticeably been going forward a lot quicker, there’s a lot less control in our game and emphasis on directness quickly.

Wouldn’t be so bad if we were ever first to a second ball. To be fair to the defenders, the so called creative midfielders and forwards are more often than not statuesque.

I’d be interested in genuinely knowledgeable responses to this too.

It’s gone to complete pot and our attacking play is non-existent but I’ve no idea why.

We don’t seem to control games properly and can barely string 5 yard passes. I guess that’s part of the problem.

I honestly think we've been ripping any attacking/creative thoughts out of players minds since Gerrard was here, which doesn't make sense since the staff has changed about 4 times... But the result no matter who the manager and staff are, is always the same. Players come here and lose all abilities of close control, accurate passing, shooting, forward thinking and vision...

I couldn't agree more with this mate.

It pains me to say this but I'd bet if Silva had signed for that lot he'd probably look quite decent but playing for us he looks utterly clueless/aimless.

He's trying to change the style of play we had which I get he has that but he needs to be pragmatic and wait till we have players for it

The inverted fbs work to boost the midfield of there is rotations on the wings there not happening though. And the defence and midfielders need to work like nothing else out of possession.

Gio tried to play this way and binned it after 2/3 games after bad results and we just didn't have the players that could play hence why ridvan was signed as he can play that way just had a bad start.

But we have never really recovered from qualifying for cl we needed to sign 2/3 quality players we didn't.

Gio overall wasnt strong enough to push against the board and board Wilson took punts on players then went mad with Beale.

Clement has made some strange choices last few games but he does need time

Kick and rush against the Scottish jobbers, a new low.

Definitely was tonight. Brutal.

I think the manager over thinks it and goes long because the pitch is a cow field but no excuses for me it wasn't unplayable.

Clement had a habit of tinkering and over thinking stuff it seems.

We have been thin on the ground for quality but Ridvan, mcCausland & Diomande (Cortes on his brief showing too) are our most direct attacking players with the ball and they have all been absent in some form or another for this collapse.

We just didn’t have the squad to deal with those losses. It’s a team that’s got nothing left.

It’s worrying and embarrassing how poor we are at the basics. All these player can’t just be shite at them as they’ve come from different leagues and countries and some of them do the basics well.

Most of the football basics can be improved on by practise. And yet our players seem to get worse. Has to be the training. Practically every training vid shows them down some warm up routines and then playing the stupid piggy in the middle shite. And that looks crap tbh. I really hope that they do more than that, but I’m beginning to wonder.

And it’s been like this under several managers so is it the coaches, our ethos, style. What?

Whatever it is, it’s not good enough.

Without stating the bleeding obvious,teams in this league will sit in, park the bus, play a10-0-0 formation even when they are the home team And a defensive team will find it easier to play against forwards that don't move and a midfield that doesn't seem to have any pace or creativity. We could have 30 corners in the first half and 40 in the second and we will never score. Remember how pleased and probably surprised we all were when Diomande scored with a shot from outside the box. FFS Rangers forget the corner pish that clearly isn't working just have the players practice every fcukin day shooting from outside the box at the training ground.This is how to play against a team that sits in. Of course this is for next seasons league campaign as this season is l'm afraid already gone.

We have no midfield at the moment.

Lundstram is too busy playing as a quarter back which leaves us short in midfield and allows the opposition to overun us.

The whole team is playing disconnected, we saw tonight how many times Goldson and Souttar ran up the pitch and they had nothing to pick out.

Teams just need to play a 3 5 2 against us, sit deep and hit long balls when they win back possession and they’ll take at least a point off us.

Multiple times we were in Dundee’s half and lost the ball to then face a counter, Dundee had so much space and time.

When the roles are reversed Dundee were able to get back and remain compact, we cant do the basics.

This squad of players have some serious serious problems and its becoming an all too familiar story season after season.

Can anyone who knows a bit about football tactics etc. explain to me what it is we're trying to do?

It feels like we have no idea how to attack teams.

Today was long ball football constantly. I assume that's managers instructions which is worrying but not what I'm getting at.

Players like Silva, Cantwell and Lawrence just look totally lost.

Everything we do looks so laboured and slow.

Is it just a lack of ability right throughout the side?

Genuinely curious because tonight was as hard a watch as I've seen since we got promoted. I wanted to turn it off 2 or 3 times when I was watching Lundstram drop into the center of defence time and time again.

My mate made the point we always seem to want to reset play by playing it backwards... This seems to be the opposite of what I would think makes sense?

Is this garbage coming from the manager or are the players just uncoachable?
Honestly, I think that we set up today expecting a scrap on a sh*t pitch and neither transpired. It’s like we just pulled out the tactics from last week when the rain was lashing down.

I was pretty offended at the accusations of long ball from Benfica and them but there was no denying tonight that it was our main means of attack and it didn’t work.

The Lundstram dropping deep thing really annoys me. I wouldn’t mind a good quality number 6 who can ping the ball about doing it, but Lundstram just plays simple passes that either CB could play.

I couldn’t believe the lack of urgency in the last 10-15 minutes.

It’s hoof ball and it’s been that since clement came in. That won’t work long term here.

Mostly bypassing midfield because we have realised they are just gonna pass it side to side at a sedate pace or be robbed of the ball repeatedly if the opposition press them.

You can do f*ck all when the team is playing as individual units. The defence trying to recycle the ball because the middle and forwards aren’t in the positions they should be, and then that is compounded by our defence playing deeper to try and encourage movement and space to open up. This is then f*cked further by a right sided CH playing on the left, limiting the natural outballs a left sided CH would give you. Then on top of that, we have a midfielder playing LB due to injuries, supported on the LW by someone that’s just returned from injury. This has an impact on the entire setup, especially in the middle of the park that are then out of position due to imbalance, which then impacts the movement of the forwards trying to accommodate that. When you combine all this with a sh*t preseason, fitness and new personnel, then what you are left with is b*llocks.

Back