Our complete lack of effort today was shocking.

With 11 men we were shocking at points, the first 3rd of the second half was filled with a beer, an asprin, a beer an asprin.... A strong midfield does not allow you to be played through with ease, ours did!

Once again, the team didn't come alive until several changes were made and it was too late. A far too common occurrence.

Lost count how many times they just ran off us today.

How many times did any of our players actually sprint at full pelt?

How many tackles did we actually put in today?

The chance where Kyogo missed from about 6 yards they had the ball for about 2 minutes and not one player even put a tackle in.

We did that thing of sorting of closing down but having no intention at all of actually winning the ball.

Absolutely inexcusable in such a big game.
We do that every single game. It's going through the motions of closing players down, we are so easy to play against it's ridiculous. Celtic players able to pick their passes under absolutely no pressure, yet the other way around we are shanking passes all over the place, barely able to string 3 passes together. It is an absolute shambles and just about every single one of them should be ashamed to call themselves football players because they just simply aren't. We have a team of guys that can run about, that's about it, and they aren't event very good at that.

We do that every single game. It's going through the motions of closing players down, we are so easy to play against it's ridiculous. Celtic players able to pick their passes under absolutely no pressure, yet the other way around we are shanking passes all over the place, barely able to string 3 passes together. It is an absolute shambles and just about every single one of them should be ashamed to call themselves football players because they just simply aren't. We have a team of guys that can run about, that's about it, and they aren't event very good at that.
We are excellent at passing it backwards under any sort of pressure and jogging.

Scunnered by the players today. They had no belief from the first minute.

We are excellent at passing it backwards under any sort of pressure and jogging.

Scunnered by the players today. They had no belief from the first minute.
Tbh, did you expect anything different from them? I'm pretty sure almost to a man we seen this game play out exactly as it did. Only thing that was missing was the goal in the first few minutes. And they nearly did get that as well.

We are weak as piss all over the park and it's not changing until we have a massive clear out, including the captain.

What gets me is the passive reaction to everything, no anger when one of their teammates is fouled, no reaction to referee for honking decisions, no anger at a team mates lack of effort at closing them down, no anger at losing shite goals, no anger anywhere just tacit acceptance. To be fair I’d absolve Sterling, Raskin and Ridvan who didn’t just sit back and admire them.

Watching the super stars of Man city etc and you'd think it would be beneath them to put in a shift but they chase and hunt like fekk, we surrender space all over the park because we look like we can't be bothered

What gets me is the passive reaction to everything, no anger when one of their teammates is fouled, no reaction to referee for honking decisions, no anger at a team mates lack of effort at closing them down, no anger at losing shite goals, no anger anywhere just tacit acceptance. To be fair I’d absolve Sterling, Raskin and Ridvan who didn’t just sit back and admire them.
Raskin at least got a bit of a dig in at McGregor a couple of times. Pass marks for that at least, showing a bit of fight and disrespect to that lady's front bottom. The rest of them are all pals with them and patting their backs and helping them up like they are scared of them and don't want to anger them.

When we had the ball they hounded us and we punted it.

When they had the ball we jogged and they passed it through us.

Absolutely nothing to do with quality of that's how you play imo.
Agree with this, many will say it’s due to quality but as a bare minimum you have to make yourself hard to play against, we don’t we just stand off and let them play

I'm not sure 'effort' is the right word but they certainly don't look that bothered to get beat.

'Aw well, we go again' or some pish.

I think the lack of effort only came from one man today and that was Tom Lawrence

The knock on effect that has on the whole team is massive

He doesn't work back enough and it drags Dio and Lundstram across the park having to cover more area

The red card is actually a consequence of this. Yes Lundstram is rash but he is trying to cover the work of more than 1 man

The quality of the 11 on the park is the main issue

A lot of people think it's bottle or effort, but the fact is we are just not that good
Mate Lundstram was a disgrace. Watch him at both their goals.

With 11 men we were shocking at points, the first 3rd of the second half was filled with a beer, an asprin, a beer an asprin.... A strong midfield does not allow you to be played through with ease, ours did!

Missed the first half....First 20 of the second was embarrassing. Sorry don't buy the 10 man excuse. As you say the ease which they held possession or passed through us was shocking. Tactics needed altering and as for attitude don't get me started.

Seen plenty of 10 v 11 games where there is very little advantage gained from the extra man.

Dessers should be absolutely burst after all the running he did today.

In reality he could probably play another 90 minutes now as he barely moved.

That's just bollocks. He tried to press constantly only to realize our midfield weren't squeezing up behind him.

Phil said we weren't aggressive enough in the first twenty minutes today. That is totally unacceptable and reflects very poorly on him. Concerned about his ability to get whatever the plan is across to the team.

Like the Ross, Dundee and Motherwell games. As soon as the other team are really up for it we seem to go into a shell.
The jarring thing about that statement there is that our own captain has already said those exact words himself in the matchday programme 2 years ago, should've been chased there and then.

Today the way they passed the ball around was embarrassing. They had the full freedom of the pitch.

TBH I don’t blame the players, collectively they are clearly not good enough, it has happened to many times. I dont think it’s a lack of effort:

1. Tav - he does not get close to Maeda as he knows he is not quick enough. He plays him the only way he can.

2. Barasic - I dont think he has the awareness of what is going on around him. He should have been better positioned for their goal.

3. Lundstrum - he does not have the legs to be in that midfield. Having thought about it (I’ve been defending Phillipe) all day, he should know this.

4. Lawrence - too slow, technically good when he has space. He needs players around him that can cover his lack of pace, we don’t have that.

On the plus side - Dijon is a gem, Jack is amazing between the sticks and Ridvan (when fit) looks as though he will be a good player.

I hope the board can dig deep - as to bring in replacements is going to cost.

I can't actually reference the exact incident. But at one point, a loose ball was between one of them and one of us, about 30 yards from out goal. Their player burst a gut and won the ball. Ours jogged and covered an angle lazily. Fucking sick of our attitude.

We played exactly how I expected us to play with the effort I expected from these players.

The thing is I’m not even annoyed or bothered by it now.

Lost count how many times they just ran off us today.

How many times did any of our players actually sprint at full pelt?

How many tackles did we actually put in today?

The chance where Kyogo missed from about 6 yards they had the ball for about 2 minutes and not one player even put a tackle in.

We did that thing of sorting of closing down but having no intention at all of actually winning the ball.

Absolutely inexcusable in such a big game.
Kyogo should have scored on the first chance. It was a good save from Butland. I thought when I saw it the first time that lazy defending had left him wide open for a pass. But to be fair our defenders were not that far away and he took it very quickly. Their first goal though our defenders were too casual/ left too much space and we got burned for it.

Don’t think it was lack of effort tbh
More lack of quality
Exactly this - it’s just lazy fan punditry along with people “downing tools” , “chucking it” etc.

The majority of the players that took to the park today just weren’t good enough.

Watched the city game straight after our game and the difference in their desire and effort to get the ball back when they lose it was massively noticeable.. title on the line and numerous players phoning it in.. disgraceful

Exactly this - it’s just lazy fan punditry along with people “downing tools” , “chucking it” etc.

The majority of the players that took to the park today just weren’t good enough.
What level of ability do you need to have to be able to close a man down or to attempt a tackle?

If that today was our team giving it their all then we are in a lot of trouble.

What level of ability do you need to have to be able to close a man down or to attempt a tackle?

If that today was our team giving it their all then we are in a lot of trouble.
Correct, if we continue with that squad of players we are in trouble.

Bad decision making, poor technique on lots of things, do you really think any of our players at any point today looked at an in-game situation and went “can’t be arsed with that”?

Watched the city game straight after our game and the difference in their desire and effort to get the ball back when they lose it was massively noticeable.. title on the line and numerous players phoning it in.. disgraceful
“Phoning it in” - missed that one on my bingo sheet.

Been saying it for long enough now,the time and space we afford them is shocking.They absolutely love playing us,they know how easy they will get it.

Correct, if we continue with that squad of players we are in trouble.

Bad decision making, poor technique on lots of things, do you really think any of our players at any point today looked at an in-game situation and went “can’t be arsed with that”?
Can you really say those players gave it everything and left that pitch knackered and couldnt have done anymore?

Especially at half time. They were so slow and turgid even with 11 men.

I don't think it is effort it's just we aren't very good and overall inferior to them as has been proved countless times

Can you really say those players gave it everything and left that pitch knackered and couldnt have done anymore?

Especially at half time. They were so slow and turgid even with 11 men.
For their actual current levels of fitness/sharpness? Yeah they probably did.

The problem is that even the players you would keep for next year probably aren’t as fit/sharp as they should be based on the apparent clusterfuck of a preseason we had, and injuries throughout the season.

It panned out exactly as plenty said when the team was announced.

Didn’t expect Lundstram to implode but he has previous for that. We weren’t at the races and were lucky not to get a hammering in the second half.

This performance was embarrassing.

Team selection is part of this. Cantwell and Raskin ahead of Lundstram and Lawrence would have made us more competitive.

We cannot tackle, we cannot defend, we cannot take players on one on one, we cannot shoot from outside the box, we cannot manage a set piece, we cannot press, we cannot close players down. It’s infuriating how basic footballing skills are so overlooked in the way we play.

It’s about belief, energy and effort. Unfortunately we lacked all of that today and the sad reality is that we lack this far too often.

Clement said in his post match that the players looked well off it in the first 30 minutes, he needs to rip into the lot of them, aside from Dujon, Silva and Butland.
It was f.ucking gutless today.
Going to the Cup Final, hoping he can change the mindset around.
So he’s basically admitting he picked the wrong team, and not the first time he’s said this in an interview

Professional players just not doing what they are paid to do.
Giving the opposition too much space and lazy bastard players not tracking runners. And to think they have trained all week on that.

Back