Our lack of striking power

Macdonsj

Even allowing for the lack of Morelos & Roofe
the sheer drop in goals from the rest of the squad has contributed to a disappointing season in terms of rewards

Wright and Kent will not contribute great numbers from wide
Davis, Lundstram, Kamara, Jack have got 9 goals between them

and given the number of corners & free kicks we get, the return from the CBs is frankly pathetic
the defence outwith Tavernier have played 215 games between them - 8 goals from that - Goldson 4, Balogun 2, Helander 2

we cannot continue in that vein
the league was 4pts of a difference - with a couple of shifts in fortune we could have be looking at another goal difference season - we lost that battle by 21 goals

Wasted a bunch of money on Itten, Sakala and Roofe. We should have used all of that to get a proper backup / competition for Alfie.

but as i posted
its not all about the strikers
the CBs conversion rate must be ridiculously low
Goldson should be on double figures alone this year

It's where the bulk of our summer funds has to be spent. We could be looking at a scenario where we need to replace the entire frontline, a 1st choice RW is imperative though.

Completely agree there are not enough goals in our team from wide areas, midfield and even our centre backs

Gerrard addressed this issue last season by bringing in Roofe and playing with 2 strikers in certain games domestically.

We need to bring in wide players that get goals or go with 2 strikers. You can count on 1 hand the amount of times we have put teams away this season domestically by getting a 3rd or even a 2nd goal

I personally blame our bad striking recruitment on last night. If we went into the game with any natural striker that the ball could stick to then we win.

Morelos will leave. Roofe can’t be trusted (would still keep though), Sakala is more of a winger and Itten isn’t good enough.

Now we go into a season where potentially need to buy 4 strikers. With a track record of failure since we signed Jermain Defoe in 2019. Disaster.

We will need at least a couple of strikers in the close season. It's difficult to get quality and especially as we have been pretty cash strapped. I would expect Itten and Alfie ( Hopefully not but likely ) to go and even Roofe. We should have some money freed up and it will be interesting to see who we get. It's going to be a big summer on the transfer front I just hope we get the players in early rather than scrabble about at the end of the window.

We had two goal scoring midfielders on the bench last night in Ramsay and Lowry

And yet we scored 16 goals in the knockout stage before last night.

Not having Alfie or Roofe available for the final was a big drawback.

I do agree though that we should be getting more goals from the likes of Kent and the midfield.

Back