Our loan signings, mid season verdict?

Barasic is probably our best player. Katic was outstanding before he got dropped for no reason. Murphy created or scored most of our goals when on loan last season. Goldson is great when he’s not with Worral and Grezda is a typical winger - amazing one week, invisible the next. I think all of those players have pass marks at least.

Grezda has been amazing? Must have missed it.

Been saying since the start of the season that this can't be done on the cheap and without substantial funding Gerrard has no chance of success
The elephant in the room is where are we getting the money from to buy better players and challenge.
As I have said before, it is the responsibility of the Rangers Board to properly fund the Rangers manager to put a title winning team on the pitch.
There are no cheap or easy options; loan signings, unearthing gems and budget buys ain't cutting it

What I don’t get is did SG know he was only getting 4-5 million to spend before he decided to take the job.

The talk back then was he was getting a lot more backing than that hence the fact he took the job.

As you said, for us to be challenging/winning the league we need a lot more than 4-5 million invested into that squad.

We were total dross last season. SG has a net spend of £5million and has us second in the league. Its entirely possible that we can win our next 2 games and they can lose to Aberdeen. That would put us 5 points clear at the top.

We just had a decent go in Europe bringing much needed revenue into the club which will help with Gerrards rebuilding of the team.

Every signing is a risk (loan or not) but I am delighted with the progress made and think all those moaning should have a think about what has actually been achieved so far.

Ok, a couple of games till the January break but got to asking myself how how our foray into the loan market has served us this season.

Afraid it ain’t great.

Kent has been ok but maybe that is just relative to the rest.

Coulibaly gets just about pass marks.

Worrall just won’t do.

Ejaria, who he?

I think we've had a fair return from our loans.
They are loans because they are not 1st choice players for their club.

Kent has been a success, albeit with just 3 goals.

Coulibally a success then injured, returned not as good, winter break may see the return of the success. 2 goals

Ejaria a success, deteriorated, gone. 2 goals

Worral a success, not great, but mostly does a decent job.

At the moment I'll reserve final judgement until the end of the season.

Kent and Coulibally, if they can show consistently fair to good performances between now and end of season, I'd be wanting to keep them I think, if it were possible.

For me Kent would be the best of the loan signings so far as for the rest best to judge them at the end of the season.

We were total dross last season. SG has a net spend of £5million and has us second in the league. Its entirely possible that we can win our next 2 games and they can lose to Aberdeen. That would put us 5 points clear at the top.

We just had a decent go in Europe bringing much needed revenue into the club which will help with Gerrards rebuilding of the team.

Every signing is a risk (loan or not) but I am delighted with the progress made and think all those moaning should have a think about what has actually been achieved so far.
Really can,t see the scum losing to Aberdeen.mcinnes is a serial bottle merchant when it comes to the scum.

Where do people get these spend figures ? It is widely reported we have spent in excess of £10million this season. Remember we even had to pay a loan fee for Sadiq, don't know how much of his £32k a week wages.

Loans rarely work but what is concerning is that despite spending over £10million bringing in fifteen players we ended up with seven players on the park at the end yesterday that were here from last season.

Where do people get these spend figures ? It is widely reported we have spent in excess of £10million this season. Remember we even had to pay a loan fee for Sadiq, don't know how much of his £32k a week wages.

Loans rarely work but what is concerning is that despite spending over £10million bringing in fifteen players we ended up with seven players on the park at the end yesterday that were here from last season.

Testament to good coaching and a number of injuries - concern, odd spin to put on it - they are Rangers players who cares when they signed..

Arfield, Barasic, Murphy, Kent, McCaully would all have been on the pitch if they weren’t injured! That would have likely meant only Tav and Alfie would have been on the pitch from last season.

Arfield, Barasic, Murphy, Kent, McCaully would all have been on the pitch if they weren’t injured! That would have likely meant only Tav and Alfie would have been on the pitch from last season.

You do know Murphy was playing for us last season :confused:

What I don’t get is did SG know he was only getting 4-5 million to spend before he decided to take the job.

The talk back then was he was getting a lot more backing than that hence the fact he took the job.

As you said, for us to be challenging/winning the league we need a lot more than 4-5 million invested into that squad.

6 months in , Gerrard is smart enough to know that the loan signings and budget buys are not going to work.
That to challenge will need real financial investment in several better players. In recent weeks we have seen a serious change in SG's manner, he has continually stated there is not enough quality
There will be interesting discussions between Gerrard & the Board happening soon if not already,
If the Board does not deliver, Gerrard will know he cannot succeed; and this never ending Journey with all its self inflicted pain will continue

Last edited:
Greg Docherty would have offered more that Ejaria and Coulibaly ..... that said the loan to Shrewsbury has probably done him the world of good for his confidence

I like Doc but we need to stop re-writing history here. Before Ejaria's form fell off a cliff the last few weeks, he was consistently playing at a level Doc got nowhere near for us last season. Coulibaly in the beginning, was excellent as well. Against Maribor etc. He's been nowhere near as good since that injury and also the family bereavement has maybe played a part in this as well, but I think in the last couple of games he's shown promising signs of getting back to a similar level as previously for us.

Kent was excellent before his injury - we are missing him badly which highlights that

Ejaria showed flashes of being a player and scored a few crucial goals but ultimately didn’t have the spine to play for us

Worrall started poor, came into a game but has retreated back to looking terrified

Coulibaly started immense, post injury he has struggled to get back to that with only occasional highlights - there’s enough graft and desire to suggest he might get back to top form

sadiq - massive flop

Excellent assessment.

Testament to good coaching and a number of injuries - concern, odd spin to put on it - they are Rangers players who cares when they signed..

What is odd about it ?

We added 15 players to our squad because it wasn't good enough but yesterday at full time 7 of the players on the pitch were here last season.

Injuries are part of the game every squad from the day dot have had to contend with them.

How many games did Kranjcar miss due to injury. How many games has Rossiter actually been fit for. Would we have won more games last season with a fit Lee Wallace.

One plus from the loans is that it seems to have made the gaffer fully understand that certain types of player just can’t cut it here.

There’s no great loss sending them back.

What is odd about it ?

We added 15 players to our squad because it wasn't good enough but yesterday at full time 7 of the players on the pitch were here last season.

Injuries are part of the game every squad from the day dot have had to contend with them.

How many games did Kranjcar miss due to injury. How many games has Rossiter actually been fit for. Would we have won more games last season with a fit Lee Wallace.

It's odd you find the team we finished the game with yesterday "concerning".

It's odd you feel you have to continually peddle this now parodyesque account of yours on here on a daily basis coming up with really bizarre irrelevant points, it comes across like your account and what you feel your account represents consumes you to the point you can no longer apply any thought to any Rangers subject without throwing on this bizarre shade of last season and what could and should have happened, but didn't

What are and were the loans players supposed to achieve?

They have helped us bridge a finance gap over a summer, they have helped us make the group stages of the Europa and brought a load of money to the club, we are in a league title race.

What else was expected of the squad and these players this season?

Agreed.

The more I read on FF, the more I realize my views seem to be in a minority. Expectations from some are unrealistic.

Kent - Good player. Great feet, can dribble, excellent first touch. Works hard and willing to track back. One of our better players imo. If he could add more goals and assists to his game and stay fit it could really help us kick on.

Coulibaly - He's been a regular starter in a team that went far further in Europe than many people thought we would and which has been top of the table on more than a few occasions so far this season (something we couldn't say in previous years). He's the whipping boy of choice and now that Ejaria's left it's got worse. Not the diddy some people are making him out to be.

Worrall - Again he's a whipping boy. Again some of the criticism is excessive and looks to be coming from guys who just need to have someone/anyone in a Rangers shirt that they can have a go at.

Ejaria - Made a contribution in his brief time at the club. That goal in Ufa alone netted us millions of pounds.

Sadiq - Write off.

Kent - excellent

Sadiq - disaster

Ejaria - was okay but a wimp.

Coulibaly - great when a games open and we need energy and somebody box to box being a ball winner. Dismal when a team sits in.

Worral - hes terrible.

Sadiq earns 32k per week! Where is this from?

Kent - excellent

Sadiq - disaster

Ejaria - was okay but a wimp.

Coulibaly - great when a games open and we need energy and somebody box to box being a ball winner. Dismal when a team sits in.

Worral - hes terrible.

But Worral isn’t terrible. He’s played well at times and contributed to 4 unbeaten games in the Euro group stages.

No one’s suggesting he’s a world beater.

Pedro's loan signings were Dalcio and Aaron Nemane. :D:D:D:D:D

Ejaria 5/10 - not a lot of end product, I don't think he knows his best position, and that doesn't help a manager. Not tough enough to be a holding midfielder, not quick enough to be a creative force. He's still young but I don't see a future at a big club or big league for the boy.
Sadiq 0/10
Kent 7/10 - he is a creative force but I always want a little bit more from him. We have missed him recently.
Coulibaly 6/10 - Started really well but he's been poor for months. I think we expected a defensive midfielder when really he's more box-to-box? Has looked off the pace against lesser sides, which is worrying.
Worrall 5/10 - not good enough to start for Nottingham Forest, we shouldn't be 'developing' players from the EFL

Over the last few years regarding loan deals the penny is beginning to drop for me. We are getting very average players who will never cut it at their parent clubs.
The top drawer loanees aint coming to Rangers im afraid.

It's odd you feel you have to continually peddle this now parodyesque account of yours on here on a daily basis coming up with really bizarre irrelevant points, it comes across like your account and what you feel your account represents consumes you to the point you can no longer apply any thought to any Rangers subject without throwing on this bizarre shade of last season and what could and should have happened, but didn't

You seem a tad odd.

We won nothing with they seven players in our team last year, we will win nothing full stop if they seven are the main stay of our team.

To bring in 15 players loans and permanent signings but rely on the bones of a team that was dross last year is concerning for me.

This is a thread about signings, albeit loans but permanent signings are slightly more than irrelevant do you not think.

Agreed. It’s a bizzare and desperate attempt to defend last season signings (which anyone with common sense could tell you were on the whole a disaster) combined with a slating of this seasons team.

You seem a tad odd.

We won nothing with they seven players in our team last year, we will win nothing full stop if they seven are the main stay of our team.

To bring in 15 players loans and permanent signings but rely on the bones of a team that was dross last year is concerning for me.

This is a thread about signings, albeit loans but permanent signings are slightly more than irrelevant do you not think.

"main stays" o_O

It was dross in part last season because it was badly coached and managed - this season we have a better manager and coaches and thus it is being better coached and better managed....our manager is getting a better level of performance from the players, little point in disregarding them because they were poorly coached.

I don't need to remind you how shit our managers were last season though, you are an expert on last season.

"concerned" by Rangers winning games of football...

The 15 additions were needed to back fill dross business conducted over the past 30 months - most of said additions would play oft if fit, they aren't fit thus our manager would be a bit daft to play them simply to appease such counter points as those being made by you on an internet forum....

One plus from the loans is that it seems to have made the gaffer fully understand that certain types of player just can’t cut it here.

There’s no great loss sending them back.

Completely agree. It has exposed a flaw with the Academy system whereby many of them seem unprepared or the fight and unwilling to get involved in it.

Pedro's loan signings were Dalcio and Aaron Nemane. :D:D:D:D:D

How original for you, no matter the subject you have to bring Pedro into it.

Weird in the extreme

Read the post title, then maybe try and make a positive contribution to a thread for once.

Surprised you are back on here, thought you would have taken a break after embarrassing yourself yesterday.

One less than 10 is 8, what a riddy.

A mixed bag but they do serve a purpose, we didn't have a talented group of youngsters to rely on other than McRorie & Hardie and the squad needed filling out.

At certain points of the season these guys have been needed, Ejaria didn't play all those games because he was great, it was because he was fit. Likewise Kent, although he did hit a bit of form for a few weeks. Coulibaly has not played well since the start of the season but again, Gerrard doesn't have many options in there at the moment. I doubt we will sign any of them long term but they have my thanks for coming here and playing a part.

Sadiq earns 32k per week! Where is this from?

''According to calciomercato.com making reference to Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport, Obi's annual salary is 500,000 euros (equivalent of N212.5 million), while Sadiq pockets €350,000 (N148.8 million) every year.'' https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24542

According to this, Sadiq was earning 350k EUR per annum when he was on loan at Torino. That's one hell of a wage rise he's had in a year or so eh?

No like the quoted poster to make things up about Gerrard though :rolleyes:

How original for you, no matter the subject you have to bring Pedro into it.

Weird in the extreme

Read the post title, then maybe try and make a positive contribution to a thread for once.

Surprised you are back on here, thought you would have taken a break after embarrassing yourself yesterday.

One less than 10 is 8, what a riddy.

Hit a nerve then I see. :D

Merry Christmas to you too. :D

You send Pedro his card?

Wasn’t it Steven Gerrard who said net 5.5m ABB ?

Good post Teddy.

Quite interesting that despite most posts highlighting disappointment with most loan players, and outright buys for that matter, we had a great euro run, and are right up there in the league.
Generally I agree with the assessments made but we are in position to win this league if the next two games & the window are successful.

Kent is the only one worth holding onto, and probably the only one that we might not want to splash the cash on. If possible I would hope we at least extend his loan period to next season.

Ejaria 5/10 - not a lot of end product, I don't think he knows his best position, and that doesn't help a manager. Not tough enough to be a holding midfielder, not quick enough to be a creative force. He's still young but I don't see a future at a big club or big league for the boy.
Sadiq 0/10
Kent 7/10 - he is a creative force but I always want a little bit more from him. We have missed him recently.
Coulibaly 6/10 - Started really well but he's been poor for months. I think we expected a defensive midfielder when really he's more box-to-box? Has looked off the pace against lesser sides, which is worrying.
Worrall 5/10 - not good enough to start for Nottingham Forest, we shouldn't be 'developing' players from the EFL

This is about right for me.

I feel like Kent has been far better than the other thought, so would nudge him up to a 7.5/8.

It was a mistake letting Bates go. He was more than capable to deputise at the back, but we’ve brought in the untested Worrall who’s been garbage since he’s arrived.

Kent has played a handful of really good games but was mostly average. A player whos become a world beater since hes been out.

Ejaria was dreadful and a shitebag

Worral a bombscare

Coulibaly was amazing in his natural DM position but pretty hopeless at CM and AM

Sadiq we didnt really see but he must be hopless.

Overall poor from SG and Allen regarding loans. Must do better.

Worral is and has been a better defender for us than the likes of Hill and Ehigou who were widely accepted based on a goal v Celtic despite being for the most part dross - the assessment of player performances is at times quite odd.

Back