Our midfield would be far better with Sterling in there.

Was saying at half time, if I was Clement, I’d take Lundstram off and get Sterling in there for his energy and athleticism but also to make a statement to Lundstram that you need to get the finger out.

Lundstram certainly wasn't brilliant, but had a far better game than Diomande, who has a worrying habit of disappearing out of some games for long periods, as he did today.

I’d like to see him play right back and he may get the chance to play his preferred position.

If Tav goes we wouldn’t trust anyone else in there.

I know what you mean mate & I don't disagree - but not only do we not have a midfielder capable of controlling the game - we don't have a midfielder who goes out & wins the ball enough IMO

Sterling is more than capable of winning the ball in the middle of the park - just as he does in any area he's asked to play in -

We need to win the ball more in the first place & stop opponents bossing us or having possession without deserving it

Of course once we've won the ball -
then we have problems with the lack of a player with enough skill & ability to control the game

We need to stop going so direct against teams that pack their defences behind the ball that's our biggest problem but I would also say we don't press as a unit there's no structure in the way we play. We need to play through teams at pace with the ball like a Steven Davis done we've never replaced him since his injury. Diomande can do the hard yards getting the ball back and has the quality on the ball like we saw with the 2nd goal just not sure he's a Davis type more a box to box for me.

As I said with Sterling it his recovery pace and his engine that he can possibly get away with playing in there but the other side of it I just don't see that in the bag.

You must have.

There's a reason Clement only plays him there in emergencies.

I thought (maybe naively) that PC plays Sterling wherever injuries give him gaps & most of these roles are 'emergencies'

Although he isn't always effective - I've never once thought Sterling was 'extremely uncomfortable' whatever task he's been given

Have you got particular performances of his that you've judged him to be 'uncomfortable' with ?

It's the inverted fb we are playing we don't have the players for it with ridvan it's not as noticeable.

The defence and midfield is all over the place with it.

You then have a front 3 that don't seem to move

We are poor just now

Dessers has good movement, but our current wide options are really poor, with Sima and Cortes unavailable.

It's the biggest issue in our team.

Not only that but, if Lundstram really is looking to join this Turkish mob in the summer, can we rely on him to be busting a gut in the remaining games for us?
Yeah can we rely on someone busting a gut to get a league winners medal :oops:

McCausland hasn't kicked his @rse in months. Another one who is not good enough at present at least.
he has been injured for a bit to be fair to him and am not for one minute saying hes a superstar but ad much rather him in there to poay ti his strenghts than sterling who isnt a right winger thats all am suggesting. Playing players in positions to maximise there ability and for me sterling 100% is better in the central midfield role. A think he actually plays better there than his original RB position we thot he was signed for

he has been injured for a bit to be fair to him and am not for one minute saying hes a superstar but ad much rather him in there to poay ti his strenghts than sterling who isnt a right winger thats all am suggesting. Playing players in positions to maximise there ability and for me sterling 100% is better in the central midfield role. A think he actually plays better there than his original RB position we thot he was signed for
I'm not sure what his strengths are to be honest.

I thought (maybe naively) that PC plays Sterling wherever injuries give him gaps & most of these roles are 'emergencies'

Although he isn't always effective - I've never once thought Sterling was 'extremely uncomfortable' whatever task he's been given

Have you got particular performances of his that you've judged him to be 'uncomfortable' with ?

I think he's at his strongest facing the play, just as Tavernier is.

Both struggle playing further forward with their back to goal, or on the half turn.

When I said he's extremely uncomfortable in midfield, I'm comparing him to how natural midfielders, like Lundstram, Jack, Diomande and even Raskin are comfortable taking the ball on the half turn in tight positions.

Sterling will always give you a shift, no matter where he plays, but like today, we don't see the best of him playing inore advanced roles imo.

I’ve been saying it for weeks. You play your best players in their strongest positions.

That’s Sterling and its midfield. He has everything we lack in there.

I don’t care who plays in the other positions he’s been filling in we would be a better team with him in midfield.

Certainly was mate, but don't you think he can have quiet spells in games, particularly for a central midfielder?

He's a real talent and hopefully the quiet spells will disappear, as he becomes more accustomed to our style of play.

Probably be next season before we see the best of him still adapting and how much has a full season in Denmark taking out of him. Thought he played a lot deeper in the 2nd half him and Lundstram weren't far off the defence his pass for 2nd goal is excellent.

Sterling

Lundstram is not good enough.

Fair enough if that's your opinion but am not sure how people can say after 4 games in there he can come in and be the play maker of the team and dictate a game. Would likely have to play another number 6 type beside him and with our attacking options we would become even less of a threat.

Sterling is literally everything we are missing in the middle of the park just now.

If we continue to play the same midfield, with Sterling either benched or playing wildly out of position, then we are just going to keep seeing performances like today.

We need to stop persisting with players that simply aren’t good enough.
Yes time to stop the right wing as he’s in effective midfield or LB If yilmaz not fit as had enough of Borna

I can see how he could be effective in midfield but we’re talking about a guy who was watching footage of midfielders to pick up some tips just a few months ago, it’s not a position he’s familiar with yet. If he plays instead of ie Lundstram, your losing a lot of experience and savvy.

Play Sterling at right back, bit of a myth he's a midfielder. Tav is finished in pressure games.

He has played right back and left back for us and was poor in both roles.

He started out as a striker, moved back to a winger then became a wingback

He doesn’t have the passing ability to control a midfield, he can run about and tackle but at times a ten yard pass to a team mate is a problem for him. He needs to be in beside someone who he can give the ball to, to make things happen.

Our midfield is an absolute mess.

By far the biggest issue with out side is the complete lack of creativity or goals from any of Silva, Sterling, Wright and McCausland, when playing wide.

With the unavailability of Sima, Matondo and Cortes, Dessers is our only credible goal threat from an advanced position.

I can see how he could be effective in midfield but we’re talking about a guy who was watching footage of midfielders to pick up some tips just a few months ago, it’s not a position he’s familiar with yet. If he plays instead of ie Lundstram, your losing a lot of experience and savvy.

Watched dundee midfielders today who are far more comfortable under pressure than John Lundstrum

Wouldnt take much for Sterling to surpass

By far the biggest issue with out side is the complete lack of creativity or goals from any of Silva, Sterling, Wright and McCausland, when playing wide.

With the unavailability of Sima, Matondo and Cortes, Dessers is our only credible goal threat from an advanced position.
Going forward, middle to front and in the final third we are an absolute joke.

Poor movement, lack of cohesion, passing is all over the place, lack of composure, not playing with heads up, poor body shaping to make and receive a pass (apart from Diamonde) and a general lack of intelligence in our play. It's mind-numbing to watch.

Absolutely no rhythm or tempo. There is no excitement in our play. The players can take a lot of responsibility for this, but i have absolutely no idea what Clement's vision of play is and haven't done for some time. It's a mess.

Big, big changes required in the summer-again. Because this time next year I simply will not accept the mentally challengeds being on course for 55.

Sterling is literally everything we are missing in the middle of the park just now.

If we continue to play the same midfield, with Sterling either benched or playing wildly out of position, then we are just going to keep seeing performances like today.

We need to stop persisting with players that simply aren’t good enough.
agree, we need someone in the middle with energy and dig exactly what Sterling provides

Latest posts

Back