Our record v Czech sides

Coatbridge Chancellor

Pretty absymal tbh.

After a 1959 European Cup round 1 win v Red Star Bratislava we've had:

1981 CWC: out to Dukla Prague
1991 European Cup: out to Sparta Prague
2002 Uefa Cup: out to Viktoria Zizkov

The last two on away goals.

Never played Slavia Prague before, so time to change our luck.

Last edited:
Was 16/17 at the zizkov game terrible 2v0 defeat over there. Pished at Ibrox for the return thought golden goal was in play when we scored in extra time .

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
Went to Prague for Zizkov game on the Kinning Park bus.

One of our worst ever away performances in my opinion. That match, if I remember correctly was at Slavias ground.

Pretty absymal tbh.

Now is the time for change

I was at the 1991 Ibrox leg we should have won - actually we did 2-1 - I remember the Goalie didn't have a good game and their away goal in xtra time was his fault, I've always thought that away goals shouldn't count double in xtra time

Was 16/17 at the zizkov game terrible 2v0 defeat over there. Pished at Ibrox for the return thought golden goal was in play when we scored in extra time .

I remember the chaos when they had a man sent off at a corner.I think the ref gave a pen then changed it when he realised the ball wasn’t in play when the offence happened.

Pretty absymal tbh.

Pedantic Loyal here, but Red Star Bratislava are Slovakians.

I agree though, our record against the Czechs isn't good, so time to rectify that.

I was at the 1991 Ibrox leg we should have won - actually we did 2-1 - I remember the Goalie didn't have a good game and their away goal in xtra time was his fault, I've always thought that away goals shouldn't count double in xtra time
It's just as well away goals counted double in extra time our we would never have won the ECWC in 1972, we would have went out to Sporting Lisbon in an earlier round

It's just as well away goals counted double in extra time our we would never have won the ECWC in 1972, we would have went out to Sporting Lisbon in an earlier round
Out of curiosity, what happened to the referee after that match?.

I know it was a relatively new rule, but had the fella in the crowd* and Waddell himself not corrected the referee following the shootout who knows what would have happened.

Did the referee get a punishment from Uefa like you would see these days?.

*I believe it was John something, a journalist who had a rule book in his possession.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the referee after that match?.

I know it was a relatively new rule, but had the fella in the crowd* and Waddell himself not corrected the referee following the shootout who knows what would have happened.

*I believe it was John something, a journalist who had a rule book in his possession.
John Fairgrieve was the journalist. No idea about the referee

:)) Forgot about that - did we no toss coins as well and the ref had to be told the rules!

the football landscape has changed so much now I don't think it's comparable anymore, for a start we've got a coaching team that's as good as anything, they'll have.

Zizkov was quite typical of the crap we did in Europe most years even with a big budget. That's why SG's team is different. We look consistent.

We should have knocked out both Sparta and Zizkov although irrelevant to current Slavia tie.
Sparta was horrible.

Lost the away tie 1-0 then did well to build up a 2-0 lead in the return thanks to a double by Stuart McCall only for the same player to turn a late cross past Andy Goram and put us out on away goals in what was a dry run for the following seasons inaugural Champions League.

Zizkov was a brutal disappointment

Just another in a mighty long list of embarrassing Euro defeats down the years.

Thankfully we have a tactically astute manager and coaching staff in charge - what a difference these days having a team take to the park in an away game that is able to retain possession, actually able to get out of our own half and look to score.

Last edited:
Pretty absymal tbh.

I remember my old man coming back home from Prague after the Zizkov game and saying it was like getting beat by Pollok.

Pretty sure they're not even in their top division now.

I was at the Sparta Prague game at Ibrox in 1991. From memory their goal was a mistake and came out of nothing. We ended up losing on away goals.

This could be one of the tougher draws - looking at their league table they hardly concede any goals, score for fun and are undefeated. Going to take a colossal effort.

Can’t imagine Gerrard adopting the same tactics as Greig did back in ‘81 :eek: it was Avrilesque iirc. Along the lines of 7-2-1:eek: and pumped 3-0

The worry here is that the Zizkov game also saw us lose to an extra time away goal.

With us being at home second, it most certainly shouldn't count this time around given that there's no home advantage anyway.

Was in Prague for the Zizkov game. Nice city but shite match. My mates back home said there was a shot of me on TV leaning against a crush barrier with a look of utter boredom on my face, Sums it all up. Can't remember whose ground it was at (it was a poky wee place), but it was on the other side of the river from the centre and we had to get a taxi up. The driver wanted to bring us to a brothel instead of the game. We politely turned him down. Was that another rash decision?

Pretty absymal tbh.

I had a look at the UEFA website before the draw yesterday, and apart from Villarreal and Molde, we have an abysmal record against any of the others we have played before. On the other hand, I also read somewhere that Slavia have lost both ties against Scottish opposition before, so something has got to give.

If its any consolation.

Our display in Zizkov resembled Leicester at home the other night.

Was in Prague for the Zizkov game. Nice city but shite match. My mates back home said there was a shot of me on TV leaning against a crush barrier with a look of utter boredom on my face, Sums it all up. Can't remember whose ground it was at (it was a poky wee place), but it was on the other side of the river from the centre and we had to get a taxi up. The driver wanted to bring us to a brothel instead of the game. We politely turned him down. Was that another rash decision?
That's what you'd probably have got

I was 18 and working in my local Co-op at the time of Zizkov game, made it into the pub just as McCann scored in extra time and just assumed that would be us. Don't really remember much else at all, except Stefan Klos nearly scoring from the corner right at the end. Absolute shit show. Still managed to get blootered that night.

Back