our stonewaller last night

HMS.Temple.Garden

Only seen it in the match thread so apologies if there is already thread, may be its lost in some of the disappointment about the end result.

Saying that, THAT handball appeal only got worse every time you seen it, especially in slo-mo.

What might have been but I've been taking this Europe run as a "whatever" its the results at the weekend that matter to me, but can't deny that I've been disappointed not seeing out those two games, we are good enough, just probably undone by genuine individual qualities in the end and saying undone makes it sound like we were horsed and it really isn't the case.

Really enjoyed us this season, long may it continue.

Abysmal officiating. Would have been interesting to see how things would have planned out if we'd scored again at that stage.

Why is there no VAR when it was used last season in the group stages? I also think Vertonghen gets sent off if it was in place

aboth incidents ten yards in front of the main stand lino

Penalty all day long. We had the opportunities in both games though, to put the results beyond Benfica and paid the price. Still in a fantastic position, so everything to play for, regardless of how disappointing the last 2 euro games have been.

Stonewaller that the linesman was right in line with and decides nothing to see here move on.

Cvnt.
Yes, an inexplicable and unacceptable decision. There should be VAR in the Europa League now. We should be leading the calls for it. I liked Gerrard’s insistent manner that it was a penalty. No beating about the bush in an apologetic manner.

Abysmal officiating. Would have been interesting to see how things would have planned out if we'd scored again at that stage.
If your aunty had balls and all that but if Kent scores the sitter he missed last time (off the post) and We get a penalty last night Benfica weren't coming back from 4-1 & 3-0 down respectively

Why is there no VAR when it was used last season in the group stages? I also think Vertonghen gets sent off if it was in place

Wasn’t used in the group stages last year mate. It was only from the knock out stages as we saw to our cost with the penalty given against us.

edit - probably should have read the whole thread before replying!

It was 100% a penalty however it was 1-0 when it happened, so vastly different impact on the outcome of the game than if we were already 2 up when it happened.

We might have missed and lost 2-1, or we might have scored and went on and won 4-0, who knows. The rest of the game wouldn't have played out as it did last night had it been given.

UEFA trying to save cash in not using VAR in the group stage?

Clear penalty & the same guy later ignored a foul on Tav right in front of him.

Only seen it in the match thread so apologies if there is already thread, may be its lost in some of the disappointment about the end result.

Saying that, THAT handball appeal only got worse every time you seen it, especially in slo-mo.

What might have been but I've been taking this Europe run as a "whatever" its the results at the weekend that matter to me, but can't deny that I've been disappointed not seeing out those two games, we are good enough, just probably undone by genuine individual qualities in the end and saying undone makes it sound like we were horsed and it really isn't the case.

Really enjoyed us this season, long may it continue.

It was a shocker, as you say it's an easy one for the AR. As an aside, if this had happened in a league game, the thread on this would be at ten pages by now. We've been on the end of some absolutely horrendous decisions in the Europa League the past three seasons, and that was with us having one of the (supposedly) top refs last year.

We don't 'know' they are Tims though, so no one really minds :)

The linesman running up the line like Mr.Bean suggests everything we need to know! Absolutely hopeless he missed that penalty.

All in the favour of Benfica. The handball, Vertonghen booting Alfie on the side of the head, the handball against Morelos when Vertonghen has two hands wrapped around Alfie the whole time
He also missed a blatant foul on Tav right in front of him.

It was a shocker of a decision.

The type that had it happened in a domestic game there would be 6 threads about whoever the ref was being a cheat, a stealth 19th Century Terrorist, in Lawells back pocket etc etc.

Stonewall penalty but who knows what difference it would've made to the outcome
It would most likely have given us another goal and would have put Vertongen on a yellow, perhaps leading to a red later when he was carded? Failing that, he would have been frightened to tackle, giving us an advantage.

Why don’t UEFA use VAR in the group stages ?

If they use in knockouts so why can’t they use it in group stage games?

It proves that all referees are prone to inexcusable and inexplicable mistakes. They are not bent, corrupt or in Celtic’s pocket, just diabolical, and due the ridicule they receive. What they never get is demoted for these dreadful errors, and they should.

Why don’t UEFA use VAR in the group stages ?

If they use in knockouts so why can’t they use it in group stage games?
Because of COVID protocols due to the number of personnel that would be needed to run it in the group stages.

It wasn’t used in the group stages last season just knockouts mate.

Edit - apologies , already been a answered

Because of COVID protocols due to the number of personnel that would be needed to run it in the group stages.
Was it ever due to be used in the EL group stages ? Sure it’s just knockout for Europa and not to do with Covid.

Same "assistant ref" should have helped the ref with the boot above the shoulders on Morelos (Vertongen?) and the clip of Tav on a breakaway (was that Vertongen, too?).

If he offers no advice to the ref on the handball plus these two, what's he there for?

We had quite a few poor decisions go against us. The stonewall penalty. Same player (Verhongen) later scissor-kicked Aflie in the face, somehow only a yellow. Probably deserved red, and if he's been booked for handball earlier he's have been off either way. Offside against Roofe that wasn't. And Alfie penalised for perfectly good challenge. There were a few tackles from the back that didn't draw yellows too.

The "big" teams get much more favourable calls in UEFA competitions.

It's suspicious as funk and it wouldn't surprise me if it was a UEFA directive to ensure that TV companies get their lucrative, big name finals.

Unfortunately by most modern metrics, Benfica were the "big" team last night.

Can't believe the number on here bleating about var, it is the worst thing to happen to football in the 50 odd years I've been watching it

Back