Our subs were head scratching to say the least.

Kamara coming on for Davis wasn't a surprise, Davis was tiring.

However Wright coming on for Tillman did seem the wrong move as we completely lost the midfield when Lawrence went up against Sangare in there. While Tillman did a good job it was certainly a challenge for him, Lawrence was overpowered in there.

Not sure what the solution would have been but even moving Lundstram further forward with Jack slotting in might have been a possible shout.

That defence is certainly there to be got at however, we aren't out of the tie by any stretch of the imagination. 2 poor goals were conceded tonight, both from set pieces. If we get that part right next week then we've got a great chance of making it through the tie.

I actually agree with almost everything here.

The only add on I’d offer is that Tillman also looked to be tiring rapidly.

Personally, I’d have brought Arfield or Kamara on for Davis and definitely Matondo for Tillman if you’ve accepted that Tillman should subbed.

Can anyone shed light on why Wright got the nod ahead of Matondo?

Im perplexed at the decision but did Gio purposely hold back our better subs to keep them guessing for next week?

Like most I was surprised not to see Morelos in the second half when we could have done with him holding the ball up. They kept coming at us and we brought Wright on. That didn't make any sense to me.

I wouldnt disagree with the OP, but Kamara for Davis was like for like. Arfield should definitely have come on, but for Tillmans playing further forward.

For all the good things Colak brings, and I suggested he start tonight, we sorely miss Alfredo's hold up play in these European ties
Alfie should have been on at 60 minutes worst case. Gio’s subs are fucking mind numbing at times.

Funny how people have different opinions. I thought Gio got the subs right. Wright isn’t great but he can keep fullbacks from pushing on so the ball stays away from our goal.
Kamara is more secure in possession than Kamara and Colak had his best game for us so far.
Those who point to our European away form forget that each time we lost we played a certain way to keep the tie alive and then completed the job at Ibrox.
I expect to see a slightly different approach next week.
The tie was a genuine 50/50 before kick off and it still is now.
When I point out Gios away record I’m including his record with Feyenoord too. Never won an away game in Europe with them and that includes games against some dross.

Dortmund is his only ever away win.

It made sense to take Davis off. He had a great game but needed to come off. Kamara or Jack makes sense.

No idea why Wright came on though. Arfield for Tillman and Matondo for Lawrence would have made sense.

Alfie should have been on at 60 minutes worst case. Gio’s subs are fucking mind numbing at times.
Alfie’s contribution would have been in his hold up play. Colak is a lot sharper at the moment. Arfield is the one who could have made a difference imo

The subs seemed like they were all about defence. It's been well covered that Gio seems to rate Wright for his ability to follow orders and keep shape, chase back etc. Kamara was obviously a defensive sub. I didn't think it was the right move, I think there was a chance to get a third without exposing ourselves defensively. I understand maybe not throwing Matondo in there, but I think Arfield instead of Wright gives us a more effective attacking option if a chance or two comes up late on, while also providing steel and experience. Ideally I would have liked us putting Alfie on wide right, but I reckon at current fitness level he coukd have left Tav exposed. I wonder if Jack was fit, but I would have preferred him ahead of Kamara.

For me Scott Wright's time at Rangers should be coming to an end. He has the odd game or two where he does well or contributes something positive, and you think maybe he's turning a corner, and then you get about 10 games in a row of just nothing from him. Poor decision making, running up blind alleys, losing the ball, daft mistakes, no goals or assists.

It's just not good enough for us. I'd like to see him phased out of the squad as much as possible while we persist with better options because Scott Wright rarely impacts our performances in a positive manner. Tonight was the breaking point for my patience with him - there's only so many times you can sigh in frustration while watching a player before enough is enough.

He should hopefully be moved on within the next window or two in an ideal world.

Imo kamera is not suited for gios system
Was far more effective when Gerrard was manger in the deep lying midfielder role

If we could sell tomorrow to buy a dynamic forward thinking midfielder we should be seriously doing it

Needs to stop playing Tillman out wide as well.he has previous for that also hagi aribo

Kamara was correct choice as Davis was continuously giving ball away dangerously in second half and looked out of puff. Wright is the wrong choice of sub He has pace but lacks control and runs with head down and rarely holds possession. Rabbi looked composed on Saturday and his pace and awareness would have been of far more benefit. Morelos should have been on the moment they equalised if not before.

Gio is often bold and is not scared of his own ideas. You have to applaud that at times but his boldness/ stubbornness of choice can be his undoing also.

I found it bizarre we started with no pace on the right. Thought we’d have went at them with two wingers but their left back was barely tested all night aside from when we cut them opened for the first

Their left back looked the weak link, I'd have been targeting him all night.

Could see why he brought Kamara on as a straight swap for Davis but Wright just isn’t good enough for that level.

It’s worrying that we’re still relying on Wright after the money we spent in the summer.
Kamara has played brilliantly for us in Europe, so fair enough - him or Jack would have been ok at that point.

Agree completely re Wright - I thought the idea was to upgrade the squad.

Not a criticism of Colak but I think bringing on Alfie would have given us a lift & may have got us a winner - I still find it hard to believe that our top European scorer didn’t see any game time last night.

Needs to make his subs earlier next week.

We need to be able to keep up the first half intensity.

I wouldnt disagree with the OP, but Kamara for Davis was like for like. Arfield should definitely have come on, but for Tillmans playing further forward.

For all the good things Colak brings, and I suggested he start tonight, we sorely miss Alfredo's hold up play in these European ties
Arfield was coming on but we scored and GIO changed it

Gio likes fluffing a first leg and then smashing the 2nd. We’ll win in Holland and it’ll all be good.

They did second half. Not first half. Second half.

We were better first half. They were definitely on top second half.

A draw was fair.

Still absolutely everything to play for. 50/50 tie. Same as the EL final. Two very evenly matched sides
I actually felt they had more gears, and given the players on the bench they didn’t use, was surprised they weren’t put on.

As far as next week goes, we had to get a win last night to have a chance I fear.

Recent European away record is not good.

For me it should have been Arfield and Matondo coming on rather than Kamara & Wright.

Morelos should have been on for last 20, even after they scored just over 10 mins left Alfie should have been on.

The subs weren't great but our inability to defend corners is what worries me more. The second one particularly was terrible.

I thought Jack, Arfield and Matondo should all have played a part, especially when it became apparent we had lost control of the midfield.
Jack for a tired Davis( who was excellent beforehand btw)
Arfield for Tillman (who had an off night)
Matondo for Lawrence (who faded badly)

Gio must think Matondo is pish if Wrights playing ahead of him. Bizarre decision.

Kamara would be nowhere near our team for me.. the guys negative & timid.

Probably the last 2 players you want coming on in a game like that.

When I point out Gios away record I’m including his record with Feyenoord too. Never won an away game in Europe with them and that includes games against some dross.

Dortmund is his only ever away win.
The fact remains that this particular away game is winner takes all whereas the others have been about getting the tie back to Ibrox.
Feyenoord results are irrelevant the same way as our results with previous managers are.

We need Jack and Kamara up to speed, and if they're not starting, then they should be good options from the bench; that's why we would hope to have squad depth. Davis had a very good first half, but it may have been asking a lot to expect much more than that when he hasn't really played recently, but Jack also played well at the weekend, and may have been a good player to bring on later. Our strength has been midfield, that we lost the rhythm we had in the first half doesn't really happen often to this side, and that happens in the midfield engine. Against USG in the first-leg we also lost the midfield battle; in the second half last night we weren't naturally dropping deep, in possession, and taking the ball from the back to middle, and neither was there much fluidity in our passing; we didn't use either flank, especially our right side where they were weakest, and where we got our first goal. Jack coming on earlier should have been a serious option

PSV dominated in midfield for the 2nd half. That tells us a story in itself. It would be interesting to compare their team with ours in terms of players’ values and also the wage bill, to determine if we have brought in this summer value-for-money players overall. Disappointed 2 corners led to their goals, with Goldson the main culprit both times. We scored a beauty with Colak - best of game, and fortunate spinner of a free kick from Lawrence. Overall, fair result. It will be extremely difficult in Eindhoven.

Ahh, I knew the OP would be back churning out threads as soon as we conceded a goal.

I always look forward to reading your nihilistic take on the match.

Gio could learn a lot from you mate. Keep it up.

I said earlier in the thread I’d have brought Matondo and Jack on for Tillman and Davis. Having reflected on it that is still what I’d have done.

However, were GvBs choices really that ‘wrong’? Matondo had a good second half against St J. Order than that he’s been largely ineffective. His showing Away to USG, for example, was probably worse than anything we’ve seen from Wright. My choice Jack, had a good half hour against St J but has been poor overall recently as well. Exactly the same applies to Wright, Arfield and Kamara, They’ve all got it in them to turn a game, but all can be shite as well. I guess what I’m saying is, GvB took the right guys off but it was always going to be a bit of a lottery how effective the guys he was bringing on were going to be, Hobson’s Choice to a degree. We will all tout our own particular ‘favourite’. There’s no guarantee a different two would have made much difference. We were being over-run by that point, we looked tired and my major criticism would be that the subs were too late rather than that they were the ‘wrong’ subs.

I wouldn’t have brought Morelos on either, given Colak’s performance.

p
I said earlier in the thread I’d have brought Matondo and Jack on for Tillman and Davis. Having reflected on it that is still what I’d have done.

However, were GvBs choices really that ‘wrong’? Matondo had a good second half against St J. Order than that he’s been largely ineffective. His showing Away to USG, for example, was probably worse than anything we’ve seen from Wright. My choice Jack, had a good half hour against St J but has been poor overall recently as well. Exactly the same applies to Wright, Arfield and Kamara, They’ve all got it in them to turn a game, but all can be shite as well. I guess what I’m saying is, GvB took the right guys off but it was always going to be a bit of a lottery how effective the guys he was bringing on were going to be, Hobson’s Choice to a degree. We will all tout our own particular ‘favourite’. There’s no guarantee a different two would have made much difference. We were being over-run by that point, we looked tired and my major criticism would be that the subs were too late rather than that they were the ‘wrong’ subs.

I wouldn’t have brought Morelos on either, given Colak’s performance.
If you are bringing Scott Wright on in a CL playoff game when there’s other options there then yes you are ‘wrong’.

Wright's decision making at times is absolutely woeful and i just don't know where Kamara fits in GVB's system.

I would have brought on Jack and Matondo.

Gio usually works teams out and has a better read on them by the 2nd leg so here's hoping he does the same again here.

Gio’s subs were very conservative.

No Morelos, no Matondo, no Arfield when trying to win a game speaks volumes.

I thought we had to go all out for a win last night to get through the tie, but the subs didn’t reflect that.

I actually agree with almost everything here.

The only add on I’d offer is that Tillman also looked to be tiring rapidly.

Personally, I’d have brought Arfield or Kamara on for Davis and definitely Matondo for Tillman if you’ve accepted that Tillman should subbed.

Yeah can't disagree with you, it was a hard shift in the middle of midfield last night.

Essentially I was agreeing with Tillman coming off but we just put the wrong personnel in his place in midfield.

p

If you are bringing Scott Wright on in a CL playoff game when there’s other options there then yes you are ‘wrong’.
He’s simply the latest in a long line of whipping boys mate. As I said, I’d have brought Matondo on for that role. It wouldn’t have surprised me if Matondo had been just as ineffective though. PSV had us chasing shadows by then. We’ve seen it from both. As good as Matondo was second half v St J he was bloody awful in Belgium.

Wright's decision making at times is absolutely woeful and i just don't know where Kamara fits in GVB's system.

I would have brought on Jack and Matondo.

Gio usually works teams out and has a better read on them by the 2nd leg so here's hoping he does the same again here.
Kamara has always been at his best sitting deeper in midfield. Gio for some reason plays him as the attacking midfielder which just doesn’t suit him at all.

Under Gerrard Kamara was always one of our best players in Europe.

Why did Wright not stick that one in the box in the 92min. He had the space to put the delivery in. Frustrating to say the least.
100 fucking percent

I thought the same, Wright strikes me as the kind of player that hopes the ball doesn't come to him

Kamara on before jack or arfield made me wonder
Jack is slower than a week in jail and was awful his last Euro outing.
No good comparing his display against St Johnston I expect we could have played McCann and he would have been good against them , it’s a huge step up in class to PSV.

Couldn’t see the point of Kamara, he slowed the game down as soon as he came on
Why when were looking for a goal bring Kamara on instant back pass,side pass safe pass player bizzare subs i couldnt believe and new we werent scoring another from then on.

Back