Our use of subs yet again

Live Forever

Official Ticketer
Gerrards use of subs has always been a bit ropey for me.

Aberdeen were playing a very high line last night. It was clear pretty early on we desperately needed an injection of pace. Especially with them having a makeshift defence and a full back booked after 20 mins.

Why did we then wait until 77 mins to bring on Sakala and Wright? Can only really assume he just didn’t believe that they’d help us turn the game.

We were so slow it was unreal.

Aberdeen were playing a very high line last night. It was clear pretty early on we desperately needed an injection of pace. Especially with them having a makeshift defence and a full back booked after 20 mins.

Why did we then wait until 77 mins to bring on Sakala and Wright? Can only really assume he just didn’t believe that they’d help us turn the game.

Said the same to my pal at the game, left it too late when it was clear with 30 mins to go we were struggling. Would’ve like to see double sub then.

For all his faults I think advocaat would have hooked someone after 30 minutes and put Wright on with the strict instructions to stay left and run at the boy Ojo every single time.

His treatment of Aribo was bizarre last night. First he moves him back to accommodate Arfield when he was the only one that looked like he could create something. Then he subs him when we are pushing for a goal at the end

For all his faults I think advocaat would have hooked someone after 30 minutes and put Wright on with the strict instructions to stay left and run at the boy Ojo every single time.

Yeah totally agree. Why wait if you can see it’s not working?

The use of substitutes to alter games has always been one of Gerrard's weaker points. He has advisers standing beside him during games and I would be surprised if they are not seeing what we are seeing and communicating with him about what is needed. Whether or not he accepts that advice is down to his own judgement. Last night would appear to be a glaring point in question about what was needed. He did make the changes but far too late into the game for maximum impact from them. He definitely needs to recognise that he needs to act more decisively as soon as a situation becomes apparent. Waiting and hoping for something to change is not always a great strategy, especially if you have the means at your disposal to alter the situation.

His treatment of Aribo was bizarre last night. First he moves him back to accommodate Arfield when he was the only one that looked like he could create something. Then he subs him when we are pushing for a goal at the end
To be fair Aribo was running on empty and has been for the last few games now. He's played far too much football recently and it's starting to show with him.

This. That day he hooked Craig Moore against Killie at Ibrox was a classic example.

Bringing on Arfield made no sense.

If Gerrard had changed it after 20 mins not one player could complain. The forwards are slow and the movement was terrible. The midfield lacked drive and played the safe pass constantly.

Their back 4 were turned once in the 2nd half when Roofe took too long. It was too easy for them seeing everything infront. Not bringing on pace until the 77 minute was baffling.

We need pace in the wide areas whether that be Aribo, Sakala, Wright or even Patterson. Changes needed for Sunday!

Bringing on Arfield made no sense.

I disagree. It made total sense to me if it was the Arfield of 18 months ago. No one in our squad was/is better at coming from deep to beat an offside trap.

Given he had started to look better of late it was somewhat logical to me.

BUT Wright would have been on before him or at least at the same time for me.

Changes should've been made at half time.
still bringing on dross like Bacuna, Fashion,Wright,and Arfield doesn't turn the tide as proved last night
We are in a bad place just now, wobbling at the top of the league

Back