Our younger generation of supporters.

Glory hunting is not something you can label any of our young fans with. Trust me...they ain't following us for the glory. They are following us as it's a path as parents we teach our kids to walk.
Those of us who endured 78-86 know what it was like. And remember, 8000 crowds replaced with 38,000 crowds in a matter of weeks. Don’t worry the young team will come back if and when our shit gets together.

In that terrible period, we were the fourth, maybe even 5th best team, we never thought a Scottish Cup was possible, never mind 9 in a row.

Only saw 3 titles by the time I was 23 (lots of cups though) then boom, along came the Souness revolution. The Rest of my 20's and a good chunk of my 30's where absolute triumphant bliss. What a time and age to be a Bear.
Not gonna lie though, I'm approaching 60 and fear I will never see a dominant Rangers again
I am 71 and live in Australia but I remember the 9 years in the league wilderness going to see us play some woeful stuff in the rain and sleet near the end of some seasons when the league was already lost. If i still lived in Glasgow I would still go every week. There is something about supporting us that makes you loyal my family were not football people but my mates were and many of them went through the same and kept going. Follow Follow

One of the stewards in Geneva was on at me about the ’demographic’ going forward. Unfortunately the conversation got interrupted, and I never got to find out what exactly he meant by the ‘demographic’. I guess he was alluding to the fact that kids growing up now will be drawn to ‘successful’ teams around the world and will slowly turn their backs on domestic football. Obviously there is also the anti-Rangers messaging right, left and centre, but that was also around 50 years ago.

Anyone any thoughts on this?
Computer games social media n fancy electronic toys dont help we have more couch potatoes and armchair kids in Scotland now than ever. Back in the day in school summer holiday we would all catch up and chip in to buy a ball and start around 9/.9.30 am and the game would go on sometimes until it got dark. people would leave and go home tae eat and come back and join the game again. That's when we produced so much great home grown talent.

it's not been hard going, it's been part and parcel of being a normal football supporter. And I grew up the same era as yourself. You take the good with the shite and be thankful theres more good than shite on a yearly basis in comparisons to hundreds of other football clubs.
You need to take the context of Scottish football into consideration here. If we were in a league with Porto, PSV, Anderlecht, Celtic and Sparta Prague then I’d agree with you. But we play in a league of 2 year in year out and seem to nearly always finish second

Computer games social media n fancy electronic toys dont help we have more couch potatoes and armchair kids in Scotland now than ever. Back in the day in school summer holiday we would all catch up and chip in to buy a ball and start around 9/.9.30 am and the game would go on sometimes until it got dark. people would leave and go home tae eat and come back and join the game again. That's when we produced so much great home grown talent.
Much less to do with gaming/social media/toys and more to do with councils and moaning old cunts shitting their pants cause there's some young people in the street stopping kids from playing football in the street, or at the local parks (forgetting that they were encouraged to go out at 9am and play football all day).

I'd even add the joyless wee middle aged men who seemingly can't stand any of our players, or watching us even when we win as more of a barrier to kids enjoying the game and catching the bug to support us.

Same thing happened to those born in the late 50s/early 60s and then they had a second fun spell in the 80s. If you can't support us when we aren't very good, then you were never a real supporter.

Celtic fans in the 90s/2000s would've taken as much stick as them now.
Great post and bang on the money. We were dyer for many years until souness, but I still enjoyed following the Gers.

I think our 9 in a row has given people a sense that that was the kind of norm, it certainly wasn't and in fact was just at the right time for me, with being the age of legitimate boozing. I count myself very lucky to have been there from the start of it. All about the timing, well done to my parents.

I know plenty of knowledgable younger bears, who know that we don’t have a divine right to win every trophy and go through barren spells.

It’s not a new thing, us having unsuccessful spells.

Some of our legendary players went through barren spells, I do my best educate some of the younger folk who aren’t aware of this. If they’re proper fans, they’ll get on with it and support the club.

Last edited:
Great post and bang on the money. We were dyer for many years until souness, but I still enjoyed following the Gers.
Young 20 year old on our bus the other was throwing a strop, I let him know that our greatest ever Ranger won only three or four medals in a 9 year period.*

I was genuinely taken aback when he thought I was referring to Gascoigne. Actually found it weird how someone that age could know so little, but that’s not the point.

We’ve had plenty of barren spells, which featured Rangers legends - I can’t imagine many of us would call them ‘losers’ or decry their place in our history due to unsuccessful spells.

Our local bus is the busiest it’s ever been, young folk in their dozens - so I’d say those that support the club, will do so, no matter what.

Edit: *Should add that this wasn’t in anyway to compare current players to then, or total trophy haul’s in playing careers. Merely pointing out that we’ve had unsuccessful periods, which legendary players have been a part of.

Last edited:
Young 20 year old on our bus the other was throwing a strop, I let him know that our greatest ever Ranger won only three or four medals in a 9 year period.

I was genuinely taken aback when he thought I was referring to Gascoigne. Actually found it weird how someone that age could know so little, but that’s not the point.

We’ve had plenty of barren spells, which featured Rangers legends - I can’t imagine many of us would call them ‘losers’ or decry their place in our history due to unsuccessful spells.

Our local bus is the busiest it’s ever been, young folk in their dozens - so I’d say those that support the club, will do so, no matter what.
Good point mate. The man you speak of was Mr Rangers to me, that's why his statue is part of the memory to our lost 66.

Rangers are bigger than a football club to me. Been very much a part of my life from when I knew what football was. Family, friends many of whom I have today because of the club. I see the journeys some bears make to see us, so I'm also aware that I'm also very lucky to stay a couple of miles from the great stadium.

Young 20 year old on our bus the other was throwing a strop, I let him know that our greatest ever Ranger won only three or four medals in a 9 year period.

Careful, I once suggested that Mr Greig's trophy haul and Tav's trophy haul were quite similar and was descended upon by the Tav haters suggesting it was a ridiculous comparison.

Good point mate. The man you speak of was Mr Rangers to me, that's why his statue is part of the memory to our lost 66.

Rangers are bigger than a football club to me. Been very much a part of my life from when I knew what football was. Family, friends many of whom I have today because of the club. I see the journeys some bears make to see us, so I'm also aware that I'm also very lucky to stay a couple of miles from the great stadium.
Yes, mate.

As I grew older, the boys I went to football with became my best mates. Doing everything away from football together.

I see the effort one of my best mates makes.

Travels from Northern Ireland usually 12+ times a season to watch us, after watching Glens on a Saturday and the journeys have often involve leaving his house at 4 in the morning, then a bus x2 and a boat or whatever.

European games he’s here, cup games he’s here.

I’m not far from yourself, so we have it close :))

Its a mentality shift

I grew up on 9 in a row. I only seen Rangers win. They will always be in our shadow.

But for a kid of 12 thats seen 1 title in their lifetime its difficult to have that superiority mindset when youve only known us being shit
Similar to myself I was born 76 so basically grew up watching us win something like 10 out of 12 titles from 87 to 99, my eldest son was born 98 he’s saw us win but mainly lose while my youngest who’s 19 can’t remember seeing us win the league in the flesh . All 3 of us still travel home and away and I don’t see that changing anytime soon although I always threaten to pack it in lol

Could be worse. Imagine being a fan of any other team in Scotland and just going through the motions every season knowing you’re not going to achieve anything

Back