Pace

Agree op. The thing that worries me the most about the manager is that he either cant see it or is not bothered about how slow we are. As op says, you wont do a single thing in modern football without pace or power.

Ryan Kent is a huge miss in that respect, I think our best and most important player, whether on top form or not. We're at our best on the counter and defending with the press, when Ryan is playing, he terrorizes defenses.
Wright and Sakala also have pace, I'd have had both on much earlier last night, they had the besting of the Sheep's high line.

Completely agree OP. On RTV last night Kevin Thomson highlighted after 5min that the lad Ojo at rwb for them was all over the place positionally and was there to be exploited by pace. The same player then picked up a booking after 30min. He should have been highlighted as the weak link and the tactics tweaked to exploit him but we let him pretty much sail through the rest of the game untested. Absolutely no disrespect meant to Kevin Thomson here, but if the fucking kelty hearts manager can see this why can’t 1 of Gerrard, Beale, mcallister or culshaw see it?

Counter point OP

You’re partially correct, we lack pace in current line up, but I think we have players that do have pace

a) Kent is currently injured
B) Scott Wright has pace he just hasnt lived up to what we thought he could do, yet
C) Patterson has better pace than Tav (my opinion)
D) Aribo has pace but I think he’s not being utilized in a position that favors it or him

We also lack pace in defence and midfield, Goldson’s head isn’t here, Lundstram isn’t a pace player to go past opposition. we’re definitely missing Helander and Ryan Jack

Completely agree OP. On RTV last night Kevin Thomson highlighted after 5min that the lad Ojo at rwb for them was all over the place positionally and was there to be exploited by pace. The same player then picked up a booking after 30min. He should have been highlighted as the weak link and the tactics tweaked to exploit him but we let him pretty much sail through the rest of the game untested. Absolutely no disrespect meant to Kevin Thomson here, but if the fucking kelty hearts manager can see this why can’t 1 of Gerrard, Beale, mcallister or culshaw see it?
I actually said this at the game, We needed to isolate him and have Bassey run at him. With The power and pace of Bassey the slightest of touch and the full back would be off.
Then to not bring Wright on early in the second half to run at him was criminal too.

Ryan Kent is a huge miss in that respect, I think our best and most important player, whether on top form or not. We're at our best on the counter and defending with the press, when Ryan is playing, he terrorizes defenses.
Wright and Sakala also have pace, I'd have had both on much earlier last night, they had the besting of the Sheep's high line.
I fear we're looking at Kent as the Messiah, an on form Kent will improve us, no doubt about that, but there are glaring deficiencies throughout the side that cannot be rectified by the return of one man.
The manager is obviously frustrated at the lack of investment in the summer, but we can't spend what we simply don't have. The board have gone above and beyond in that respect.
Ŕesults and performances like last night's frustrate us all, I get that. What I cannot comprehend is puting a team on the park with zero pace in defence,midfield or attack, it's never going to work.

Morelos,Roofe and Hagi.....it will never work. The slowest front three in the league.
A midfield utterly devoid of pace too. You might get away with one or the other but never both.

Beyond frustrating.

I'm not sure what the formation or tactics were tonight. The front three couldn't get a sniff against two Rangers rejects and a semi returned Scott Brown. Looking at that even at half time Wright and Sakala should have been introduced and got at them. No we bring on Arfield and then wait until 77mins to introduce pace but then it's too late as the Sheep are basically sitting on the keeper

Counter point OP

You’re partially correct, we lack pace in current line up, but I think we have players that do have pace

B) Scott Wright has pace he just hasnt lived up to what we thought he could do, yet
D) Aribo has pace but I think he’s not being utilized in a position that favors it or him

We also lack pace in defence and midfield, Goldson’s head isn’t here, Lundstram isn’t a pace player to go past opposition. we’re definitely missing Helander and Ryan Jack
I'd always have a Kent,Wright or Sakala in my starting line up. Ideally two of them either side of Àlfie

Agree op. The thing that worries me the most about the manager is that he either cant see it or is not bothered about how slow we are. As op says, you wont do a single thing in modern football without pace or power.
You honestly think that?

To be fair, both Gerrard and Beale were telling Bassey to do that several times. Noticed it from the main stand and on the Sportscene highlights you can see Beale shouting at him to do it during the celebrations of Morelos' goal.

We’ve been very slow and pedestrian this season..
Unfortunately, I don’t see enough effort from coaches and players to change it.
Which is worrying.

He is still making some mistakes he made when he first arrived. Just how he can put out a slow team in a league based on mostly pace and running around is anybodies guess.
He can't make the players he has any quicker, and neither can he bring in if he doesn't have the money to do so. Our main problem, and it was very obvious last night, is not a lack of pace, the problem is our defending, and the loss of goals that we are giving away.

Pace - I’ve seen some of the old Rangers Sides in the Tennents Sixes with more pace than we have at the moment. We are a turgid watch this season so far

He can't make the players he has any quicker, and neither can he bring in if he doesn't have the money to do so. Our main problem, and it was very obvious last night, is not a lack of pace, the problem is our defending, and the loss of goals that we are giving away.
He could start by not buying slow players, Sakala aside.

I have no idea.

I dont know what the Arfield sub was supposed to achieve either.
You've answered your question, the solution wasn't really to be found on the bench. We are lacking a great deal of depth right now; injuries have happened, but it's also a fact that one or two more injuries could really stretch this side even more.

You've answered your question, the solution wasn't really to be found on the bench. We are lacking a great deal of depth right now; injuries have happened, but it's also a fact that one or two more injuries could really stretch this side even more.

Sakala and Wright don't have pace?

pace isn't that much use when teams sit in like Aberdeen did in the 2nd half. we need quickness of minds not of legs

I wouldn't say it's just a lack of pace - it's a lack of quick and decisive passing, everything is too safe and too slow that teams can very easily get back in position ready for the cross that is almost certainly going to be fired in from out wide.

TBH every aspect of our game has dropped down a level - we are at our best when we press as a unit and play the pass and move into space game but that all seems a distant memory.

A lack of pace was not the only aspect of our game that was a problem last night.

It was the most glaring thing missing. Either Wright or Sakala should have been on much earlier than they were to give us another dimension to the attack.

It was the most glaring thing missing. Either Wright or Sakala should have been on much earlier than they were to give us another dimension to the attack.
It was not. We didn't invent enough chances last night, in the second half, because we were not creative enough, but there is also something else affecting us right now. Coming from two goals down doesn't help, and if we're going to gift goals then the task becomes more uphill than it needs to be; we gifted Aberdeen the opportunity to sit in, and they took it and frustrated our efforts. We don't have pace, but it's not not our main issue right now.

Counter point OP

Aribo always turns back or sideways these days. It's frustrating

We lack physical speed but we also lack quickness in thought.

The likes of Aribo, Hagi, Tav and a number more are incredibly slow at making decisions. They don’t instantly make the pass or shot and delay, delay delay.

It really isn’t conducive to a successful football team in a competitive league.

We lack physical speed but we also lack quickness in thought.

The likes of Aribo, Hagi, Tav and a number more are incredibly slow at making decisions. They don’t instantly make the pass or shot and delay, delay delay.

It really isn’t conducive to a successful football team in a competitive league.
Would you say that was the case in the first half. I thought we were fairly inventive for much of the first half.

Spot on mate-After the lad Ojo was booked we should have been sending everything down his side and put him under lots more pressure,he looked rattled for about 15mins and then was allowed to settle.

Last edited:
Would you say that was the case in the first half. I thought we were fairly inventive for much of the first half.
Yeah, Aribo for example had a number of chances to skip Morelos in who made a run off his marker and they he delayed the pass then the pass was shut off.

Also had chances to shoot and again took an age to decide, leading to the shot being blocked.

with no Kent
we are restricted to Sakala and Wright

Sakala is not making enough of an impact as a sub to start games
Wright makes impact sub appearaces & does well, then starts and is poor

The problem we have is that teams sit so deep that pace isnt always a big thing. Clever movement and mixing it up is what does well in this league

with no Kent
we are restricted to Sakala and Wright

Sakala is not making enough of an impact as a sub to start games
Wright makes impact sub appearaces & does well, then starts and is poor
To be fair, being poor doesn't mean you don't start in this side!!

The problem we have is that teams sit so deep that pace isnt always a big thing. Clever movement and mixing it up is what does well in this league
Roofe is a "clever" player yet he's totally ineffective?
Cleverness doesn't frighten teams, pace does.
This argument of teams sitting in with 10 men behind the ball doesn't negate the need for pace at all.

Aberdeen weren't last night though, they also had two of our ex players in a back 3 who are as uncomfortable with the ball at their feet as i've ever seen yet we didn't press high and allowed them so much time on the ball. Needed pace in that front 3 to press them.

Last edited:

Aberdeen didn't sit deep last night. They were playing a high line for the first hour or so and we couldn't exploit it as our front three was slow as a week in jail

We, as a team, don't have it.

You cannot achieve much in the professional game without it.

Organisation, fitness and even talent will only take you so far, but to make the difference at the top level you need pace.

We are the most one paced Rangers side I can remember and it's killing us.
Spot on OP, until wright and sakala came on our only way of scoring would have been a cross into the box and a header. Thankfully it paid off with morelos goal but cant rely on just that every single game, yet we do.

Aberdeen didn't sit deep last night. They were playing a high line for the first hour or so and we couldn't exploit it as our front three was slow as a week in jail

I wasn’t talking about Aberdeen last night . They pressed us pretty well I though especially out wide.
I was more talking in general where teams camp out on the edge of the box and leave no space in behind

Organisation, fitness and even talent will only take you so far, but to make the difference at the top level you need pace.

It is screaming out for pace Alex.

Stevie Wonder could tell us all that. And to compound it all, the manager for reasons known only to himself, substitutes the only fit player capable of beating a man, time after time.

Aberdeen played a back 3 and their wing backs were high up in the first half and we very rarely exposed it. Bassey in fairness had a few decent runs but we didn't get the ball out to the left enough.

The 1st goal we conceded was criminal and Bassey was screaming to Mclaughlin to ping it out to him then between him and Goldson they make a mess of it and they go 1 up.

Tactically and individually last night was horrendous, not 1 chance created that second half from memory. Worrying times.

Most of the teams in the league have managed to beat Aberdeen without much pace.

Back